Mysterious Di2 battery drain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tristan

by Tristan

Try unplugging and then re-plugging each of the Di2 wires. I had a similar battery drain and it was a cable which wasn't seating correctly into the Junction A.
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

On my 9070 rear mech I never even set the limit screws at all - they were fully wound out. It worked fine.

And yes, DO NOT use any old USB wall socket charger.

havana

by havana

Is the Apple USB charger ok?

I don't intend to take my laptop with me on vacation!
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

havana wrote:Is the Apple USB charger ok?

I don't intend to take my laptop with me on vacation!

I've read somewhere that shimano have changed the required rating for charging, so might be worth checking what your phone charger is rated at first.
Official cafe stop tester

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Needs to be greater than 1 amp output.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

havana

by havana

The Apple iPad charger is 2.1A.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yup. That's not the problem then.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Take the wheel out of the bike and see if the battery still drains. That'll tell you if it's an adjustment problem

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I had a similar problem this week. I was traveling with my bike. Before I packed it up for the flight home, the Di2 battery level was at 90%. As part of the packing process, I unplugged the 3 Di2 wires that go into the junction box and the 1 that goes to the rear derailleur. I flew home the next morning, a 2 hour flight, and rebuilt the bike that evening. The battery after rebuilding was 5%. What could have caused the battery drain?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

eaglejackson wrote:I had a similar problem this week. I was traveling with my bike. Before I packed it up for the flight home, the Di2 battery level was at 90%. As part of the packing process, I unplugged the 3 Di2 wires that go into the junction box and the 1 that goes to the rear derailleur. I flew home the next morning, a 2 hour flight, and rebuilt the bike that evening. The battery after rebuilding was 5%. What could have caused the battery drain?

Hmmm, sounds like a case of jet lag............... sorry couldn't help myself :oops:
BB

Coffee & carbon

jeffy

by jeffy

was the flight particularly draining?

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

beanbiken wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:I had a similar problem this week. I was traveling with my bike. Before I packed it up for the flight home, the Di2 battery level was at 90%. As part of the packing process, I unplugged the 3 Di2 wires that go into the junction box and the 1 that goes to the rear derailleur. I flew home the next morning, a 2 hour flight, and rebuilt the bike that evening. The battery after rebuilding was 5%. What could have caused the battery drain?

Hmmm, sounds like a case of jet lag............... sorry couldn't help myself :oops:

Good one. All the same time zone, though. Perhaps the cargo compartment was very cold and the cold drained the battery?

What was funny is that I put a luggage tracking device called a LugLoc in the bike bag. The iPhone app looks for the device, first trying Bluetooth, and if that fails, sees if it can get a GPS location from the device, transmitted over the cell network. After we landed in Seattle but before we got to the gate, while sitting in my seat, I opened the LugLoc app to locate the bag to see if made the flight. It found the device "within 3 feet". The bag must have been directly below me in cargo.

Kutermax

by Kutermax

Resurrecting this this thread. I'm seeing the same thing - rapid draining between rides.

I have Dura-Ace on an Emonda. I charged a couple of weeks ago and did an outdoor ride uneventfully last week. During the week I had the bike on my Tacx Neo and did three workouts. I rode in Erg mode, so no shifting during the workouts.

This morning I grabbed my bike and headed out. With a minute I got a low battery warning for Di2 from my Wahoo Bolt. Unfortunately shortly thereafter the front shifting stopped and I got locked into the small front chain ring (that was a lot of fun for a 67 mile ride...).

I've had the rapid drain happen a number of times this year where I got the low battery warning, but this was this first I lost front shifting, so it must have been really low this time.

Since the bike was a Project One build and should be under warranty, I will bring it by my local Trek shop and have them take a look.

shoerhino

by shoerhino

I've noticed something similar on my Di2 system. I had purchased a 6870 Di2 a few years back and thought that it would be interesting to upgrade the battery to the newer BT-110N along with the bar end charger port. Over the winter, I purchased a new BT-110DN and the new bar end port and move the entire 6870 group onto a new bicycle frame.

After getting everything assembled, I charged the system and the battery was 100 percent. I rode quite a bit on the trainer over the winter and after about a month of use, I thought I should recharge the system so I plugged it in to the USB charger i recieved with the 6870 group. The next day, the battery, even though it was on the charger, was dead. I rechecked all of the Di2 connections and everything was seated fully. I then pulled the battery out of the bicycle and charged the battery using the older style port. I was able to charge the battery back to 100 percent so I reinstalled the BT-110DN battery into the bike.

Once spring came, the battery was down to around 30 percent so I connected the charger and the next day, the battery was totally dead again. On a hunch, I installed the old Bt-100 battery and it charged with no issues. In fact, I've recharged the old battery several times and never had problems but for some reason, the new battery in the same bike with all the sames wires either drains rapaidly or doesn't charge correctly - I'm not sure which. I wonder if this has to do with using the newer battery in older Di2 systems?

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

how accurate is the battery reading via the EW-WU111? Started the ride at 100%, after 1.5hr it went down to 70% on the Garmin and Shimano etube app, but still getting 2s solid green on the port

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com