Sram Etap Blips

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jowwy

by Jowwy

I am about to fit sram etap to my synapse hi mod disc

i have Deda Superzero aero roadbars and i'm wondering were to fit the blips or do i fit them at all?

does anybody else use blips with aero road bars? and if so were did you position them?

Jowwy

sungod

by sungod

depends where you want to be able to change gear, hand/finger size may also be a factor in your choice

putting them under the flat section would allow you to shift when riding upright, or you could put them on the leading edge of the drops to allow shifting there if you can't reach the paddles, etc. etc.

if you search on etap blips and look in google images you'll see example of different positioning

you could leave them off for now until you decide if/where to fit them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Put them on over your bar tape in sprint or climb positions with a bit of electrical tape. Takes a while to get the position just perfect. You can even take the tape roll out with you on a ride to experiment. Indoor trainer is good too.

In my experience if the position is just a little bit off, you won't use them. It's really personal. I copied other people's positions at first and found it didn't work for me. I've got two sets now - one set facing forward on the outside curve of the drops that I use my index fingers with (pulling back with the index finger gives nice leverage as opposed to pushing if that makes sense. A lot of people have them on the inside of the curve of the drops and use their thumbs with them - I find them hard to press that way). Then I've got a set taped (with a single strip of black electrical tape) to the underside of the flat area of the aerobars for climbing. Those took a while to get just right, but now they're set I love them.

The ones on the drops are partially wrapped with bar tape, with the main button mostly exposed with nothing covering it.

Pics would be much better than all that explaining. Will get some up later.

Jowwy

by Jowwy

Shrike wrote:Put them on over your bar tape in sprint or climb positions with a bit of electrical tape. Takes a while to get the position just perfect. You can even take the tape roll out with you on a ride to experiment. Indoor trainer is good too.

In my experience if the position is just a little bit off, you won't use them. It's really personal. I copied other people's positions at first and found it didn't work for me. I've got two sets now - one set facing forward on the outside curve of the drops that I use my index fingers with (pulling back with the index finger gives nice leverage as opposed to pushing if that makes sense. A lot of people have them on the inside of the curve of the drops and use their thumbs with them - I find them hard to press that way). Then I've got a set taped (with a single strip of black electrical tape) to the underside of the flat area of the aerobars for climbing. Those took a while to get just right, but now they're set I love them.

The ones on the drops are partially wrapped with bar tape, with the main button mostly exposed with nothing covering it.

Pics would be much better than all that explaining. Will get some up later.

so your not using blip holders on the bars then? just tape?

Shrike

by Shrike

No blip holders. My aero bars (S5 ones) are way too fat and flat and besides, electrical tape is lighter :P

Jowwy

by Jowwy

Shrike wrote:No blip holders. My aero bars (S5 ones) are way too fat and flat and besides, electrical tape is lighter :P

So does the tape go over the blip? Or just the cable?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

in for pics... thinking about building a TT bike with etap, so it'd be cool to see how people are using blips

Shrike

by Shrike

Light here is really bad this morning, maybe hard to tell what's going on with everything being black :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jowwy

by Jowwy

@shrike

that does look good on the underside of the aero bars - won't need any on the drops though. Did look at my bars this morning and i might be able to get blip carriers just either side of the stem, if not underneath does look the best option