Aluminium corrosion in a carbon frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

The paint is falling off all round the aluminium cable entrances on a carbon Bianchi Infinito, exposing significant corrosion. Is the frame a write off?

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Probably not.

I had a Cannondale System 6. There was a ton of corrosion where the carbon and aluminum tubing met at the BB. I rode it for several years like that, with the corrosion continually worsening. It was still going strong after 8 years, until I got hit by a car.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

pictures?

unless the cf has been damaged (al corrosion product takes up more volume) it should be ok

cf/al interface can suffer from galvanic corrosion if moisture gets in, the al loses

you can apply some acf-50 to treat the corrosion and held prevent it worsening, re-apply every year or so, more often if it's ridden in wet weather a lot

wilwil

by wilwil

bianchi.jpg
[img]

wilwil

by wilwil

Hopefully you can see the picture Ive posted. I have a feeling the gear cable ports will do the same judging by the cracking.

I now notice there is probably corrosion round the BB and the paint is bubbling round the rear drop outs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Are you the original owner? If so, I would see what Bianchi might do for you, regardless of whether it's still under warranty or not.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chris8382

by chris8382

I had similar galvanic corrosion on the rear dropout of my Colnago C40. In that case, with the corrosion affecting structural integrity of the frame, I had to have the dropout replaced with a new steel hangar. Not cheap, but the frame was much improved. In your case, this aluminum cable guide/insert is not structural...you can probably treat it as described above and then continue to enjoy the frame for years.