SRAM ETap Battery Flaw?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

schroeds

by schroeds

Plus if Di2 goes wireless and gets lighter!

So I now superglue my tabs...I don't think people need see this as a temp fix.... it's stronger than the original, pretty sure the issue is dealt with that easily.

Yeah... shouldn't be necessary but hey... not a hard fix

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Krzysio
in the industry

by Krzysio

Me too. Here are photos of permanent repair I've done. UD carbon fibres are going 90 degrees each next layer to make strong both: the tab and the brace. To make sure this piece of carbon wouldn't fly away if ( very unlikely ) debonded, I've milled out plastic casing little bit deeper near both ends of the brace to anchor them firmly. The brace is the same 1.2mm thick as the tab.
Attachments
DSC04576.JPG
DSC04593.JPG
DSC04594.JPG

by Weenie

Hexsense

by Hexsense

schroeds wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 am
Plus if Di2 goes wireless and gets lighter!
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Not sure that'll happen. Di2's battery are pretty light and small. And last longer than Etap due to the communication through power line that Di2 use versus high polling rate wireless communication.
Yes, Di2 now have a wireless unit to talk to computer about gearing selection, battery and etc. But that is only a single slow (high latency, low polling rate) wireless data channel. No match for energy consumption of wireless communication that are delay sensitive like shifting command of Etap system.

If Di2 go wireless, it'll gain all the weight saved from wiring through more and larger battery.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using GPRS

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Pfff, yesterday I thought I had tough luck breaking an eTap battery untill I found this topic. Holy crap. I've ordered a new one but hopefully won't need to do so every 2 months or I'll go crazy.
Current: 2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5 | SRAM Red Etap | Edco Umbrial 45 - FFWD F6R Ceramic
Projects: 2021 TT Project | Frame Unknown | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Pro Disc - TriSpoke
Retired: 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook Crit

schroeds

by schroeds

Ritsuke wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:18 am
Pfff, yesterday I thought I had tough luck breaking an eTap battery untill I found this topic. Holy crap. I've ordered a new one but hopefully won't need to do so every 2 months or I'll go crazy.
Nah lots of easy fixes described above

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I've had this happen as well. Oddly enough both batteries within 1 ride of each other (ca 12k on the groupset). SRAM warrantied them through jenson with no issues.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

So what's the best easy fix for those who like to do a DIY repair?
Please post pics and a bit of info :-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D