SRAM ETap Battery Flaw?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

TobinHatesYou wrote:One thing I also do is press the battery flush against the RD before releasing the retention tab as well as before insertion. My opinion remains the same. SRAM should redesign the battery's plastic case to be a single piece in that area. Right now the tab is located on the larger shell with no reinforcement from the inner face. People who have suffered multiple breakages in the meantime should change how they handle the batteries.

Mines are just breaking without handling them. When I take them off for charging, the tabs have been broken or about to fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

TobinHatesYou wrote:One thing I also do is press the battery flush against the RD before releasing the retention tab as well as before insertion. My opinion remains the same. SRAM should redesign the battery's plastic case to be a single piece in that area. Right now the tab is located on the larger shell with no reinforcement from the inner face. People who have suffered multiple breakages in the meantime should change how they handle the batteries.

Mines are just breaking without handling them. When I take them off for charging, the tabs have been broken or about to fall off.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I think a good piece of advice here is maybe to add some electric tape to the contact areas on the tab.. plastic on metal and lots of road vibrations and add in the elements including rain/grit/freezing weather and you have a recipe for all bad things that can eat away at items like this. I have yet to face any issues on mine but I do have an extra 2 sets of batteries that I switch out whenever one dies so I guess I've just doubled my timeline for anything that may errode the casings.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

avispa

by avispa

totalbser wrote:Has anyone else had an issue with the small nub on the bottom of battery breaking off? It just happened to me for the 2nd time. It results in the annoying result of occasional shifting outages on whichever derailleur you use it on. Without the nub, the metal posts that create the circuit between battery and derailleur can lose contact and result in the aforementioned non-shifting
moments. I'm either really unlucky or its a design flaw. (And yes, I've double checked: all batteries have been fully charged at the time of these occurances). LOVE the system otherwise.

totalbser
2017 Dogma F8 - SRAM Etap Red

As a matter of fact, I was speaking to a friend today that said he has had this problem 5 times already!

:mrgreen: Long live the wire!!!! :D

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

wheelbuilder wrote:Must say that I responded earlier stating this had not happened to me, and had not heard of it happening. Well it happened the other day. The tip-off was the gear indicator on my 520 started to go in and out. Looked at everything when I got home, and there it was. The tab was half broken off on the front derailleur battery. Bought a new one retail to expedite replacement, but also contacted our sram rep who sending out two more. He initially had not heard of this problem, but now states he has seen it in his territory "a handful of times". According to him, sram has no answers or solutions yet.

The sram person I spoke to today said they know about the issue but are looking into it. He said it might have been a bad batch. I have friends that put 300+ miles a week and have got no issues after 8 months.

jlok

by jlok

My eTap HRD WiFLi is only 670km old... so far no problem........... but it's very sad to see that the design is so bad...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

HaroldC

by HaroldC

I'm another user that has had eTap since they were released and no issues what so ever with the batteries.

jin28h

by jin28h

So I bought one more...

rmjcd

by rmjcd

I have had the same problem with the tab breaking off THREE TIMES !!!! I am very careful when I insert or remove the battery, and gently "click it" into place. I do take my bike to locations on a bike rack, but it is the sole bicycle on the rack. So it's not because of it getting smacked by another bike. I will run over some rough pavement from time to time, but that shouldn't be enough too fatigue the plastic and cause the tab to fail. And if it is, then we definitely have a design flaw. Three times !!!.....that is absurd. I am starting to lose my fondness for my SRAM eTap.

commendatore

by commendatore

I’ve just ticked over 2000 miles (3200 km). Only a handful of battery charges, but no problems to date.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

rmjcd wrote:I have had the same problem with the tab breaking off THREE TIMES !!!! I am very careful when I insert or remove the battery, and gently "click it" into place. I do take my bike to locations on a bike rack, but it is the sole bicycle on the rack. So it's not because of it getting smacked by another bike. I will run over some rough pavement from time to time, but that shouldn't be enough too fatigue the plastic and cause the tab to fail. And if it is, then we definitely have a design flaw. Three times !!!.....that is absurd. I am starting to lose my fondness for my SRAM eTap.

Same thing happened to me. I broke 6 batteries. The problem apparently was a quality control issue with some battery batches.
Sram was aware. So far the new ones are holding.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

charlieboy52000 wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:Must say that I responded earlier stating this had not happened to me, and had not heard of it happening. Well it happened the other day. The tip-off was the gear indicator on my 520 started to go in and out. Looked at everything when I got home, and there it was. The tab was half broken off on the front derailleur battery. Bought a new one retail to expedite replacement, but also contacted our sram rep who sending out two more. He initially had not heard of this problem, but now states he has seen it in his territory "a handful of times". According to him, sram has no answers or solutions yet.

The sram person I spoke to today said they know about the issue but are looking into it. He said it might have been a bad batch. I have friends that put 300+ miles a week and have got no issues after 8 months.

Good to know there have been developments. When I talked to our Sram rep he/they had no answers or even opinions on the matter.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

izza

by izza

Had it once - my fault where I pushed red cap on with force.

No problems after having one of earliest sets with careful treatment.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

Got another one broke off. That makes it 7. I am not sure now if it is the batteries or the tolerances on the derailleurs. I am leaning towards tolerances in the derailleurs. I’m trying to change them thru warranty. 7 batteries is a lot. if they don’t want to then I will keep exchanging them until the warranty expertise. The bike shop told me that sram said they weren’t going to change them anymore. I called BS. my next group is go by to be mechanical. I’m done with the BS of sram and the breaking batteries. Spread the word guys because I don’t think they want to do anything serious about it like change the derailleurs and look into the tolerances. They keep blaming the batteries but I got all different batches and they keep breaking. And for the record they are breaking without even being touched. The pattern at which the are breaking shows that is not a manipulation error. Which honestly I don’t see how you will touch them when removing the wheel because you can’t place leverage on the batterie to take the wheel out.
To tight tolerances would cause extra pressure in the batterie tab and that would cause failure over time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

If it breaks that easily and so wide spread many of us should be reporting the problem.... I wish mine won't break so soon.........
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10