Campagnolo Post Mount Disc Work Around

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorapido

by motorapido

Its not Magura or Campag but to show what brake setups can work, i'm running Sram Force HydroR Levers with Formula R1 callipers with no issues and a really nice lever feel on my Cross bike, feel much nicer than the all Sram setup on my winter road bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Have nearly all the parts to do this. Only part missing that I did not get with Magura MT8 spare calipers was the hydro connection bolt. Should have a 2 of these by the weekend.

The H11 calipers are very similar to Magura MT8. Same magnet retention, piston size look similar in size, material and look. Magura calipers about 10-15 grams lighter. the Campagnolo pads also fit perfectly in MT8 calipers.

I will report back on results.

morrisond

by morrisond

Francois_Viviers wrote:Have nearly all the parts to do this. Only part missing that I did not get with Magura MT8 spare calipers was the hydro connection bolt. Should have a 2 of these by the weekend.

The H11 calipers are very similar to Magura MT8. Same magnet retention, piston size look similar in size, material and look. Magura calipers about 10-15 grams lighter. the Campagnolo pads also fit perfectly in MT8 calipers.

I will report back on results.

I just knew it! Thanks for being the Guinea pig.

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Completed the installation today. Will not be able to ride bike until I fit a new set of narrower handlebars that I am waiting for.

It was a tricky job, but considering it was the first time I have installed hydraulic disc system from scratch. There are a few parts to identify and find for this project.

First impression is that there is way more power compared to the 2 previous brake systems I have been running on my disc bike with Campagnolo Super record levers (TRP Spyre SLC, and Juin Tech r1). The MT8 Calipers have a definite lock when rocking the bike with bodyweight leaning into motion. With the previous 2 brakes, I could still inch the bike forward with maximum lever force applied. MT8 calipers reach a point where the wheel just cannot move.

In short I am very happy with the results. Will post some another review after doing a weeks worth of commuting (240-300km trough south London)

Build list for those interested (not plugging any of these products, but the hose attachment bolt is very hard to come by, and there are several versions)

MT8 spare calipers, roughly about €70 a piece (does not come with hose attachment bolt)
Magura Banjo's (any aftermarket ones will work, I have seen none that have the correct hose dispatch bolt)
Bolts - this site has been invaluable (https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/search?keyword=mt) here you can find the hose dispatch bolt, a lighter anodised bleed bolt and a anodised pad retention bolt.
Magura royal blue mineral oil
Campagnolo bleed kit
and a Magura bleed kit, as there are differences.

And campagnolo videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeSRrK1BOZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQk-pUPKOqk

after doing this job and watching their videos, I can only wish the MT8 calipers had the Campagnolo bleed bolt design. Tried the Campagnolo bolt for this on MT8 calipers, unfortunately it did not work :)

Will post some pictures when I find my camera

Happy to answer any questions

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Good work.

motorapido

by motorapido

Sounds like a nice setup, would like to see some photos and your views once you've got a few miles on them.

looks like the Campag / Magura setup is a good mix.

Gotta say i prefer my cross bikes Sram levers with Formula calliper setup to the full Sram setup on my road bike.

its a risk making hybrid brake setups but it looks like yours has worked out.

morrisond

by morrisond

Great work Francois

When you do pictures do you mind posting pics of all the little parts you needed?

Thanks

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Great job, Thanks for sharing

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Broady

by Broady

Hope will be making their RX4 calipers for Campag in the near future, excellent choice if you are on Post Mount.

morrisond

by morrisond

Broady wrote:Hope will be making their RX4 calipers for Campag in the near future, excellent choice if you are on Post Mount.

Have you spoken with them recently or have some inside Knowledge? I checked with them when Campy was first released and they said maybe.

Do you have an ETA?

Thanks

Broady

by Broady

morrisond wrote:
Broady wrote:Hope will be making their RX4 calipers for Campag in the near future, excellent choice if you are on Post Mount.

Have you spoken with them recently or have some inside Knowledge? I checked with them when Campy was first released and they said maybe.

Do you have an ETA?

Thanks

Prototypes on this Field, admittedly not PM but I'd assume they'll offer both as with the Shimano / SRAM -

svendsvin

by svendsvin

Francois_Viviers wrote:Completed the installation today...
Happy to answer any questions

Great that worked!

Do you have some spare Campagnolo flat mount calipers than you would want to sell on? :)

I would be interested in the rear 140mm one.

also please post pictures.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Have followed this thread with interest. Have also done some fraken-disc setups in my journey to where I am now.

Started with BB7 calipers, then moved to TRP Parabox, then ditched the std calipers and used SRAM Guide calipers (converted to mineral oil with different seals) , and then finally settled on Shimano R685 levers with Zee calipers.

It's amazing that despite all the theory of what shouldn't work and actually does, and how interchangeable some of the systems are.

If I had another bike and a bit more cash, I'd be tempted to try the shimano levers with the Magura MT7 or Hope RX4 calipers.

The same can probably be done with the SRAM levers and Guide calipers as well.

It's been a great journey so far, and now have a brilliant setup that works a treat :thumbup:

mrbubbles

by mrbubbles

Another contender is the Shimano RS685 caliper. The cable end looks similar enough.

This seems to be the easiest route.

Another option is 1) change the inline connector between the two similar cables (H11 shifter assembly to any mineral oil based hydraulic cable with caliper). 2) change the Campagnolo hydraulic cable end to a banjo and connect to a Shimano banjo connecting caliper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dogrange

by dogrange

Anybody have any updates on this? Anyone tried the shimano caliper or Hope or heard if Campy is going to do post-mount?