Style Police / Emotional Advice Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

jever98 wrote:@jeansjacques: a bento box is an even bigger crime than a saddle bag ;-) :-P

yeah yeah, but the extra room would allow to carry an extra set of valve covers . . . .

:wink:

jever98

by jever98

...and some spoke mounted reflectors.... :D
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

I think it's the contrast between the concern expressed regarding the style infringement of a saddle bag with the disregard for the style infringement of the stem/bars arrangement that puzzles me. Sure worry about style if you want but surely both infringements deserve equal attention.

I ride with 2 bottles, as few spacers as possible and a small saddle bag FWIW..... :lol: :lol:

kode54

by kode54

i sweat like a pig...so i stuff my back pockets like one. i can't be bothered with saddle bags...its just another thing on the bike. when i had one on years ago, the saddle bag material abraded part of my tube and rendered my tube useless over time. so i took it off and never looked back. i keep a minimal amount of stuff in my pockets and compact everything to its minimal size...making use of space. never did a 200 mile ride, but i have ridden the 135 mile B2VT in Vermont in june and needed as much water as i could carry. on the other hand, a friend i was riding with doesn't sweat as much as i do and went through half the amount of water i did.

by now, the OP should know how much he sweats and how much he needs to replenish.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

BRM fully redeemed imo. Keep up the great work :lol:

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I'm honestly amazed how much people can fit in their jerseys... I manage 2 smallish energy bars in each side pocket and my phone with a debit card a £10 in a Lenzye small caddy sack in the middle and I'm full. I can just about fit an arm warmer in each side pocket in a bind but it really feels uncomfortable because the pockets are stuffed to bursting; I have the issue with Assos, Castelli, and Endura jerseys.... No room for any tubes/levers/CO2/pumps.... I'm an XS in a jersey... never really considered that bigger jerseys have bigger pockets??
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Shrike

by Shrike

4ibanez wrote:BRM fully redeemed imo. Keep up the great work :lol:

Aye, egg on the fag and homo bantz from the sidelines there. Big man you are there 4ibanez.

kode54

by kode54

cmcdonnell wrote:I'm honestly amazed how much people can fit in their jerseys... I manage 2 smallish energy bars in each side pocket and my phone with a debit card a £10 in a Lenzye small caddy sack in the middle and I'm full. I can just about fit an arm warmer in each side pocket in a bind but it really feels uncomfortable because the pockets are stuffed to bursting; I have the issue with Assos, Castelli, and Endura jerseys.... No room for any tubes/levers/CO2/pumps.... I'm an XS in a jersey... never really considered that bigger jerseys have bigger pockets??

i have a patch kit (just in case the tube and CO is a no go), tire levers and CO2 cart and head in a plastic sleeve (compact fit) in one pocket, a tube (wrapped in plastic) a tube of hotshot and fig bar in the right pocket. my Bellroy wallet with phone, money, house key, ID in the middle pocket. all in a Rapha jersey (fits in all of my jerseys).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

djwalker

by djwalker

I don't know how you guys that keep stuff in your jersey get out of the house without forgetting something. That is certainly what would happen if I tried that. I have a Silca seat roll with - spare tube, tire irons, patch kit, master chain link, multitool w/ chain tool, CO2 and inflater, and tweezers. Tweezers? You might ask. Here in Arizona it can be hard to get cactus spines out of your tire after a flat without tweezers to grab them. I ride tubeless but still carry all this junk because missing part of it has left me stranded in the past.

I normally carry two bottles in cages. Sometimes a third in my jersey pocket. This is Arizona, after all. And I sweat a lot.

I also don't care about nonsense rules. I carry what I want, when I want, how I want. Don't care what anyone else thinks. Besides, I can drop most of them.

TonyM

by TonyM

The amount of water/ food really depends also on your speed (or used FTP) and fitness/ training level.

I did today 225km/140miles (80% of FTP) with only 1.2l/40fl.oz and without any food/ energy bars etc...[emoji847]weather was very good for biking with 14-17 degrees.

I had however 6 energy bars and some money for water in case I need it.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TonyM wrote:The amount of water/ food really depends also on your speed (or used FTP) and fitness/ training level.

I did today 225km/140miles (80% of FTP) with only 1.2l/40fl.oz and without any food/ energy bars etc...weather was very good for biking with 14-17 degrees.

Ill have tommorow 203 km ride with 1800 climb (at least i hope ill have since weather is terrible some of this days). Based on my avg until now, ill use at least 3.5 liters of water :)

BTW, few years ago, i was spending my Holiday in Kefalonya, Greece (wonderfull place, one of the best i ever been), Greece in 40 degrees C. One of the days i decide to ride around 100 km, with a lot of climbing in that 100 km. I had 2 x bottles of 750ml.

I drink them in the place where there was no shops, no water. My pee become yellow and start feeling dizzy. My only solution was to stop cars (which was not that often), and to ask for water :)

One car stopped, and they said that they have some water left that can give it to me. Imagine my dissapointed when i realized they have only half 0.5l bottle :)

BTW, it would be nice if we share our strava accounts. The fact that we are coming from different parts of the world, will provide chance to find out good places to ride, to check other ride habbits and just to have idea what we ride (that way the topics we discuss will be even more worth).

So maybe we can create different topic, and share our strava there. (The bad side of this idea is privacy concerned, but if we think like that in modern time we are living, everything could be privacy conecerned and just make us paranoid).

So what other think about this idea?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

TonyM wrote:The amount of water/ food really depends also on your speed (or used FTP) and fitness/ training level.

I did today 225km/140miles (80% of FTP) with only 1.2l/40fl.oz and without any food/ energy bars etc...[emoji847]weather was very good for biking with 14-17 degrees.

Your body is amazingly efficient!! I did 105 miles on Sunday in 15-17C temps at about 85-90%FTP and ate a large bowl of porridge before I started and then a a smallish energy bar every hour and a x 550 ml of energy drink. Got home and had a large protein shake then some pasta an hour later with about 1L of water. then had a normal dinner later... it's true we are all so different. If my wife looks at food she gains weight and I don;t think I've ever seen her drink anything!!
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Shrike wrote:
4ibanez wrote:BRM fully redeemed imo. Keep up the great work :lol:

Aye, egg on the fag and homo bantz from the sidelines there. Big man you are there 4ibanez.

Takes the moral high-ground, but repeats the homophobic language himself :roll: If you've got a problem with BRM's posts then take it up with him, or rather than bickering, raise it with the mods, rather than me (who was laughing at an amusing comment about the OPs valve caps)...

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

chefczyk wrote:
moonoi wrote:I use a Silca Seat Roll, a nice stylish saddlebag that keeps my pockets free for essentials and allows me to carry 2 x 750ml bottles in the heat here in Thailand, both bottles last around 30 miles before refill (34-40 degree C)

https://silca.cc/products/57c424fc56d9341100298881

in what world is that better looking than a saddle bag...

In the same world in which a $600 pump does the job better than a $100 pump.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: took out the images.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

310rider

by 310rider

I find this thread is a disappointing… I remember the days when the “The Rules” were absolute, and not to be violated. Dehydration use to demonstrate your commitment to the sport. You guys have gotten soft.