power2max problem - high readings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

tl8nicol wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:15 pm
Thanks for your inputs mrlobber
How can I disable torque and pedal smoothness in my Gramin 810? I did not find those parameters..... maybe didn't look the right screens?
That' s done through the power2max app on your phone, not Garmin.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

hodag1977

by hodag1977

That's funny - I've owned a P2M Type S for several years, and I've noticed that the #1 complaint is that they read LOW, not high. I always do a manual calibration before every ride - on my Garmin 520, first I spin the cranks to wake up the PM, then go to settings, sensors, power meter ( the barbell icon), calibrate, calibrate again, usually get a # like 832, 833 , along with "calibration successful", then scroll back to the main screen. Yes, I know P2M claims it's not necessary, but why take a chance? Usually (but not always) my Garmin will alert me to a low battery level, but those Renata batteries last a long time (months, and I ride a lot). I haven't had a major problem with mine, except for one of the three tiny allen screw holes on the main housing breaking/stripping, but they told me it shouldn't be a problem. P2M is considered to be one of the more robust/reliable PM's on the market - that German engineering, dontcha know. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

I have a new P2max unit Ng eco a pay for the extra pedal smoothness update but at the end my edge 520 not show data in garmin connect
Any idea ?
I use ant+ P2max ngeco
Garmin edge 520 unit
Ps in the ride I have one number than 2 in the pedal smoothness field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

Jepas

by Jepas

Cycling Dynamics is still exclusive to Garmin Powermeters, this means that one can only show POC, PP, Time Seated/Time Standing, etc data fields if using Garmin Powermeters (like the Vector 3/3S).

Good news is that Garmin is opening the Cycle Dynamics ANT+ Protocol to other manufacturers but who knows how long will it take.

Bottom line: For now, only Garmin PMs can take full advantage of Garmin Cycle Dynamics.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

From P2max the answer

“actual we know that Garmin only shows pedal smoothness but don't recorded it.
Wahoo head units recording that information as we know.”

πατα τραβα ρε

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

“actual we only shows the pedal smoothness combined so if you see 100% your smoothness is accurate.
We will change this feature in near future sending to the head unit for L/R”

So it is a mater of time to have the L% R%

πατα τραβα ρε

dcorn

by dcorn

Get anywhere with this? My new NG Eco crank seems to be reading a bit higher than my previous PMs. I had P1s pedals before and the power on them lines up perfectly with my Elite Direto smart trainer. I haven't directly compared the P2M to either of those on the same ride, but I'm noticing significantly higher numbers on the P2M. I replaced the battery hoping it would help, but I don't think it made any difference.

tl8nicol

by tl8nicol

I have had 2 P2M units, the Type S for about 3 years and more recently the NG for about 1 year. Both worked very well but always 5-10% higher readings when compared to my Hammer trainer (Cyclops). When training on Zwift with both the smart trainer and the powermeter on, the P2m unit always showed higher wattage.
When winter was over I went to the real world and experienced much higher readings from the unit as well - even though you are expected to have more watts on the road because you use more muscles and the bike is not fixed, I think the difference was too high.
Having said that, in powermeters what matters more is precision, not accuracy i.e. how consistent the equipment is so it gives you always the same output for the same input. That is where you build your training and zones. Being 5% off is just a matter of bragging to your friends 5% "stronger' numbers, but since when numbers tells more than actual results ? :-)
I do think 10% differenc is too big, but mabye my trainer was 5% too low?

Anyway I have just changed bikes and moved to a Sram/Quarq, and they are very in line with my Hammer trainer.
So, I have to get stronger if I want to claim a 5-10% higher FTP now :-) hahaha
<><

dcorn

by dcorn

I finally got my bike on the Elite Direto smart trainer and the P2M NGeco lined up perfectly. I ran the trainer through zwift and the power meter through my Wahoo Bolt. I've since purchased an Allez Sprint and got another NGeco crank for that and the power seems to be about even between the two bikes.

bilwit

by bilwit

tl8nicol wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 pm
I have had 2 P2M units, the Type S for about 3 years and more recently the NG for about 1 year. Both worked very well but always 5-10% higher readings when compared to my Hammer trainer (Cyclops). When training on Zwift with both the smart trainer and the powermeter on, the P2m unit always showed higher wattage.
That's just the difference in power at the crank (p2max) and at the end of the drive train (trainer flywheel). Completely normal.

If you want consistent numbers indoors/outdoors, just use your power meter.

If you want a smoother ERG experience, use the trainer power. Just note that it should inherently read lower than the same effort than what you see outdoors

EDIT: I thought I read it was somewhere up to 12% of but it may be up to ~12w lost, which makes a little more sense

https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/bikes- ... ets_494263

and to put into context, the difference of 12w is noticeably bigger with lower FTPs, because it represents a greater percentage of your FTP. At larger powers, the practical effect of the difference between measuring from your PM or trainer is more diminished