BB30A chainset option - Cannondale CAAD12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gerryc89

by gerryc89

I have a new Cannondale CAAD12 frame that I will be using with a super record groupset.

Since the BB30A BB is rather problematic, I'm assessing what options I have for the chainset.

There is an interesting BB30A adaptor for Campag chainsets. E.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceramic-BB-Bottom-Bracket-Cannondale-BB30A-adaptor-Campy-Ultra-Torque-Crank-Set-/132154110758?hash=item1ec4ffb326:g:CyoAAOSw44BYSgJw which would enable me to use a standard Chorus/Record/SR chainset. However, these chainsets are themselves expensive.

There is also the specific Cannondale Hollowgram chainset e.g. the https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannondale/Hollowgram-Si-Crankset/DQY6?s=1 at around £350 in the UK.

I'm budgeting around £400/500 for all of this. What would be the best bang for buck here?

I'd prefer a Campagnolo chainset to be honest, but they are pricey! I could only really justify Chorus level (Record and SR seem very expensive).

One wild shot is the Sram Red chainset. Full carbon beauty that can be picked up for around ~£300 here in the UK. Is this unthinkable? Or would it be ok with decals removed.

Thoughts very welcome :)

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

BB386 fits so that should open up some options. Also, something about some of the rotor cranks fits if someone could comment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

All 30mm rotor cranks will work as they have longer spindles than standard BB30 cranks

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Go with the Sram Red, remove the decals and put some lighter chain rings on (eg: Praxis) and you have one of the lightest and cheapest yet most reliable crank sets available.

Just make sure that you get the version with the plastic bearing adjuster (which you need to remove for BB30A) or it won't fit.

Cheers
GJ

Miller

by Miller

There's a Powertorque BB30A bearing cup so you could run a Potenza chainset. Not the lightest maybe but very current.

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Thanks GJ,

Is there a different specification for the crankset with the plastic bearing adjuster? I can't find anything online which would enable me to know if it has/hasn't this.

Thanks!

Gearjunkie wrote:Go with the Sram Red, remove the decals and put some lighter chain rings on (eg: Praxis) and you have one of the lightest and cheapest yet most reliable crank sets available.

Just make sure that you get the version with the plastic bearing adjuster (which you need to remove for BB30A) or it won't fit.

Cheers
GJ

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

There may be a different part number but the online shops don't list the part number anyway, they all just say Sram Red crank.

However I'm pretty sure that all the newer cranks have the plastic adjuster. So I think all Exogram BB30 cranks now come with the plastic adjuster. And it is the Exogram crank you want because it's lighter than the old model :D :beerchug:

But to be sure, just check the image of the crank you are buying on the shop web site. You should be able to make out the grey plastic adjuster ring next to the non drive side crank arm.

Good luck!
Cheers
GJ

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Thanks @ Gearjunkie

@Miller - could you provide a link for the Powertorque bearing cup?

Jowwy

by Jowwy

I run sram red gxp cranks on my hi mod bb30a. Got a bottom bracket from c-bear

otoman

by otoman

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:05 pm
BB386 fits so that should open up some options. Also, something about some of the rotor cranks fits if someone could comment.
Anyone fit a BB386 crankset to a CAAD12 with the BB30A and successfully set up a Di2 FD and have the crankset midline?

Reason I ask: my LBS said that an 8050 Ultegra Di2 FD would not work with my Lightning crank without spacing out the NDS crankarm several mm’s.

I didn’t try setting it up myself but his explanation did not add up to me. The chain line on both the crank and that FD are 43.5mm. The shell width is 73mm (5mm extra on NDS) and spindle length is 86mm. So I think 9mm of spacers on the DS, 4mm on the NDS would center the crank and put the chainline right where both the crank and FD want it to be.

Anyone use this combination successfully? Thanks in advance.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

otoman

by otoman

Thanks, I was not familiar with that brand. Looks like good stuff.

The BB does not seem to be the “problem” per the LBS, rather length of crank spindle on a BB386 not allowing a Di2 FD to be set up on a CAAD12.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

otoman wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Anyone fit a BB386 crankset to a CAAD12 with the BB30A and successfully set up a Di2 FD and have the crankset midline?
Yes, and I'd like to clarify from my earlier statement that it is a Rotor 3d+ that works great as that's what I now have.

FSA has a spacer kit for the bb386 to bb30a that you should get, but in my case I had to add a few more shims plus a wave washer to get the compression I needed.

otoman

by otoman

Thank you Ltyarbro42. That’s what I thought, that that combination of parts would be compatible. I appreciate you confirming that for me.

richard1857

by richard1857

Morning and only just registered on WW. Wanted to send a message to Ltyarbro42 as could not send a pm until I have made more posts. I am about to pick up a caad12 and wanted to fit my rotor 30 chainset. I was wondering what spacer I needed for the none drive side (I assume this is the only side I need?) and you seem to suggest some wavy washers or a kit from FSA. Any further help on what you think would suit me best would be appreciated

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com