Cervelo R5

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
Roel W
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:39 am
Location: Belgium

by Roel W

Specs and overall behaviour looks very interesting and although it's a masterpiece of engineering I would never buy this because it's way too expensive compared to it's competitors (as always the case with Cervelo).
CANYON Ultimate AL 2010
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 2014
CANYON Ultimate CF SL disc 2018
Instagram @roeleur

Delorre
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

ichobi wrote:Here's ride review photos. 3G Warning: Massive gallery. http://www.duckingtiger.com/dt-first-ri ... 5-disc-r3/

http://www.duckingtiger.com/the-all-new ... -r-series/

Fun note: the camo 'wrapping' you saw the team used is an actual frame wrapping and not a paint. The wrapping itself costs more than the frame lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Funny to see the pro mechanics already haacked the cable routing to something much cleaner. The had to, I suppose, as they use Enve bars and stems and not the Cervelo parts. But, looks already much better that way!!

Shrike
Posts: 1198
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm

by Shrike

ichobi you've been talking about the Aeroad in your review, what comparisons can you make between these two frames? My interest in the R5 is that it looks like I'll be selling the missus' Aeroad frameset and replacing it with the R5 frameset. She wants something just a little more relaxed than the Aeroad, but still racy. She doesn't climb as well out of the saddle on her Aeroad than on more trad frames (think the front end is too low), that's the main reason for wanting to move on.

Any thoughts on any of that?

wingguy
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Roel W wrote:Specs and overall behaviour looks very interesting and although it's a masterpiece of engineering I would never buy this because it's way too expensive compared to it's competitors (as always the case with Cervelo).

Really? Compared to who?

Tarmac Di2 with Rovals £8500
Emonda DI2 with bontys £8000
SLR01 DI2 disc with DTSwiss £10000
Foil DI2 with Zipps £9900
Dogma F10 DI2 with Fulcrum Quattro £9250

R5 DI2 with Enves...... £7199.

Apart from the likes of direct sales companies and Giant, the price is exceptionally good as far as I can see!

ichobi
Posts: 626
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

Shrike wrote:ichobi you've been talking about the Aeroad in your review, what comparisons can you make between these two frames? My interest in the R5 is that it looks like I'll be selling the missus' Aeroad frameset and replacing it with the R5 frameset. She wants something just a little more relaxed than the Aeroad, but still racy. She doesn't climb as well out of the saddle on her Aeroad than on more trad frames (think the front end is too low), that's the main reason for wanting to move on.

Any thoughts on any of that?


Aeroad is not that good of a climber. It's amazing on flat but the way it transfer power on climb feels less explosive and more grindy. Not that its flexy or anything it's just the character. If you climb a lot, Aeroad is a poorer choice than R5. For me aeroad headtube combined with integrated bar is super aggressive because it has deep drop. The R5 bar is a lot more comfortable for more hand position.

I will keep my aeroad for now cause i ride 90% flat. R5 is definitely a nimbler handling bike for sure. Both descent well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boots2000
Posts: 1438
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm

by boots2000

Either something is off with their stated geo (on velonews), or something is off with stack and reach.
They call 151mm headtube for a 56- Between that and a lower bb, the stack would be much less.

wingguy wrote:
ichobi wrote: Bb is 3mm lower and ht is 8mm lower.

Geo chart pedantry - the stack is 8mm lower, therefore the HT is over a centimetre lower :wink:

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

wingguy wrote:
Roel W wrote:Specs and overall behaviour looks very interesting and although it's a masterpiece of engineering I would never buy this because it's way too expensive compared to it's competitors (as always the case with Cervelo).

Really? Compared to who?

Tarmac Di2 with Rovals £8500
Emonda DI2 with bontys £8000
SLR01 DI2 disc with DTSwiss £10000
Foil DI2 with Zipps £9900
Dogma F10 DI2 with Fulcrum Quattro £9250

R5 DI2 with Enves...... £7199.

Apart from the likes of direct sales companies and Giant, the price is exceptionally good as far as I can see!


R5 $4500

S-Works Tarmac $4000
Felt FR FRD $3500
Trek Emonda SLR $4000
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod $3500
Scott Addict SL $3800


Compared to its competitors, the R5 frameset is ~13% more expensive than its next highest competitors and as much as 30% more expensive.

Even the Felt FR F1 @ $2000 (765g) is lighter than the new R5 (850g) and significantly cheaper.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

TiCass
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:13 pm

by TiCass

53x12 wrote:
wingguy wrote:
Roel W wrote:Specs and overall behaviour looks very interesting and although it's a masterpiece of engineering I would never buy this because it's way too expensive compared to it's competitors (as always the case with Cervelo).

Really? Compared to who?

Tarmac Di2 with Rovals £8500
Emonda DI2 with bontys £8000
SLR01 DI2 disc with DTSwiss £10000
Foil DI2 with Zipps £9900
Dogma F10 DI2 with Fulcrum Quattro £9250

R5 DI2 with Enves...... £7199.

Apart from the likes of direct sales companies and Giant, the price is exceptionally good as far as I can see!


R5 $4500

S-Works Tarmac $4000
Felt FR FRD $3500
Trek Emonda SLR $4000
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod $3500
Scott Addict SL $3800


Compared to its competitors, the R5 frameset is ~13% more expensive than its next highest competitors and as much as 30% more expensive.

Even the Felt FR F1 @ $2000 (765g) is lighter than the new R5 (850g) and significantly cheaper.


Image

Imaking20
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

by Imaking20

That cost is definitely a little prohibitive. I really like the look of this and I like the subtle aero nods - it makes me wonder how this and something like the V1r would compare in a lab.
Current:
T2

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

wingguy
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

53x12 wrote:R5 $4500

S-Works Tarmac $4000
Felt FR FRD $3500
Trek Emonda SLR $4000
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod $3500
Scott Addict SL $3800

Compared to its competitors, the R5 frameset is ~13% more expensive than its next highest competitors and as much as 30% more expensive.


Except that's not true. The new R5 is bang in the middle of the frame prices you just listed. Plus, while frame only cost may be the most important thing for quite a few people, the complete bike market is much bigger these days and their complete bike prices in the new R5 line are very good.

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

wingguy wrote:
53x12 wrote:R5 $4500

S-Works Tarmac $4000
Felt FR FRD $3500
Trek Emonda SLR $4000
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod $3500
Scott Addict SL $3800

Compared to its competitors, the R5 frameset is ~13% more expensive than its next highest competitors and as much as 30% more expensive.


Except that's not true. The new R5 is bang in the middle of the frame prices you just listed. Plus, while frame only cost may be the most important thing for quite a few people, the complete bike market is much bigger these days and their complete bike prices in the new R5 line are very good.


I was thinking about the outgoing model was at $4,500 at retail. That is true.

Image
https://www.racycles.com/road/cervelo/c ... meset-7913

Wasn't until TiCass posted the price sheet above in response to me that I saw the new pricing. If it is true that Cervelo dropped the price down from $4500 to 3800, that is very good news and puts it more inline with its competitors. The outgoing model was overpriced compared to what else was offered.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ichobi
Posts: 626
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

The price has indeed dropped. For completed bike specs they are also a better deal than previous generation because now you get full Shimano/ SRAM groupsets as well as Cervelo's own very comfy bar/stem.

Seedster
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 pm

by Seedster

R&A had the new R5 on the showroom floor. Still prefer the look of the outgoing model


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seedster
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 pm

by Seedster

R&A had the new R5 on the showroom floor. Still prefer the look of the outgoing model


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany

by Beaver

boots2000 wrote:Either something is off with their stated geo (on velonews), or something is off with stack and reach.
They call 151mm headtube for a 56- Between that and a lower bb, the stack would be much less.

wingguy wrote:
ichobi wrote: Bb is 3mm lower and ht is 8mm lower.

Geo chart pedantry - the stack is 8mm lower, therefore the HT is over a centimetre lower :wink:


They increased the fork length (distance between downtube and front wheel is bigger) so they could make the steerer tube shorter with nearly the same stack.

Image

Image

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post