New Tacx Flux or a Second Hand Kickr

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Snugship0

by Snugship0

Hi All please can you advise me an the best option,

I can get a new Tacks Flux or a lightly used first version of the kicker

What would you recommend

Thanks again

by Weenie

roca rule

by roca rule

I was very close to getting the flux but after what I've read and saw online decided that it wasn't ready for primetime. The kickr seems to be the better option specially with the new firmware. For about $300 and looking very hard and combining special promo coupons you could get a brand new drivo (which I own) or a new kicker, or even a cycleops hammer. If you follow dcrains review instructions you could get the hammer minus 10% from clever training plus free shipping.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

AZR3

by AZR3

How do you like the Drivo? I'm considering going to a smart trainer and that was the one I'm leaning towards he most. Have you used it with any apps that mimic gradient changes (zwift/bkool simulator, Virtual Trainer)?

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I have the Tacx Neo and use it with apps that mimic gradient change (Zwift, Tacx films, Sufferfest). I have to say, it's really quite good. I used it a fair amount this past winter when the weather outside was cold and rainy. I actually enjoyed riding the indoor trainer. These apps make it a lot more interesting. On Zwift, there are other riders on the course and it tracks your PR for various segments (climbs, sprints, laps). For Tacx, you get to ride the famous climbs and it remarkably realistic. Indeed, there were days when it was marginal weather outside, perhaps a light drizzle or predicted to rain. In the past I might have gone outside anyways but this year I rode indoors. With smart trainers and a HRM and Strava, you get a fully quantified ride. I think the smart trainers + smart apps are a game changer.

AZR3

by AZR3

Thanks for the reply, helps solidify my descison to get a smart trainer, I've been looking at the BKool sim cause you can upload any ride you did outside and they'll create a 3D ride with elevation from the file. It seems there is a lot of variety out there to make trainer riding a lot more effective and less boring.

Edit-With the Giro going on it'd be cool to ride the climbs virtually on the days they race them.

jeffy

by jeffy

smart trainer really does make the experience enjoyable (or some might say bearable), would add that shopping around and buying new (bargain/discount code) for the peace of mind of warranty and after sales is well worth it in my opinion. Happy Drivo user.

AZR3

by AZR3

I was hunting for a used one on eBay but figured I'm not saving enough to justify not having a warranty, would suck to save 500 if there turns out to be a problem and you've got no warranty.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Flux

roca rule

by roca rule

AZR3 wrote:How do you like the Drivo? I'm considering going to a smart trainer and that was the one I'm leaning towards he most. Have you used it with any apps that mimic gradient changes (zwift/bkool simulator, Virtual Trainer)?

I've had it since January, and I quite like it. I love the fact that it is the most accurate of them, but even more the fact that:
1) it doesn't require calibration before starting a ride.
2) there is a pedal analysis app
3) it's quite
I've used it almost exclusively on zwift and it's very responsive. On the down side the ant+ fec transmitter is kind of weak so you need to run a usb extension and have the receiver right next to the drivo.

roca rule

by roca rule

Here is my messy set up.ImageImage

parajba

by parajba

Very happy Kickr user, paired to an iPad. Simply awesome for interval training (with TrainerRoad). Best training I have ever had!

slick1

by slick1

Same as above poster. I've been using th Kicker for 2 and a half years and love training on it. I use trainerroad with different and the workouts are tough once you work put your FTP.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SNUGSHIP

by SNUGSHIP

Thanks for the advice

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Stueys

by Stueys

Flux, it's a nice piece of kit

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I would go with Kickr and if you ever decide on going with Tacx then choose the Neo.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01

by Weenie