Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Bumping this to see if anyone has experimented with other sub 100g options? Carbon Ti makes some pricey ones with a carbon carrier. There's some ashima floating rotors, kcnc razor, hope x2 etc... Any of these decent?

Someone above mentioned they wore quickly. How many miles is quickly?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

A quick update to this topic.
Dura-ace rotor and Ultegra rotor do not have the same pulsing on TRP brake or some other wider pads.
rotor_da_vs_ul.png
see where the external notch is aligned with the narrowest part of the rotor surface on Dura-ace? It make each quardrant have a spot where the contact surface is lower compare to other area.
Now on Ultegra, the notch is actually on the nearly widest part (inside) of the rotor. I'd assume it has more even surface area throughout the circle.
ps. both image are 160mm rotor, they are not to scale to each other, i just quickly grab the images and circle it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Ultegra rotors still have the issue where the pads come in contact with the cooling fins AFAIK.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Currently it is not in contact on my set-up. Steel part are thicker than recessed aluminum fin. Rotor will past its replacement due if the steel wear down so much that it level with the aluminum fin.

However, the set-up are still quite new and the pad are still flat. If the pad wear unevenly (and thicker near the fin area). Pad digging into aluminum fin is possible.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Bump to see if anyone tried RT-MT900?
It is also ice tech freeza rotor, but with less pronounced fanblade shape than SM-RT900 and 800 (Dura-ace and Ultegra rotor).
Center Spider seems to be less thick. It looks even more aero and less cross-wind sensitive than Dura-ace and Ultegra rotors.
Not sure about braking area though. While it look quite wide and uniform. I have no idea how it would perform.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... MT900.html

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That looks like a much more practical design than the road rotors. I’m extremely happy with Centerline X rotors so I’m not inclined to be the guinea pig for cross-compatibility testing.

arthurf

by arthurf

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:08 am
Bump to see if anyone tried RT-MT900?
It is also ice tech freeza rotor, but with less pronounced fanblade shape than SM-RT900 and 800 (Dura-ace and Ultegra rotor).
Center Spider seems to be less thick. It looks even more aero and less cross-wind sensitive than Dura-ace and Ultegra rotors.
Not sure about braking area though. While it look quite wide and uniform. I have no idea how it would perform.
I’ve been using these for about 1000 miles now, can’t say as I notice much of a difference over the standard DA rotors but I prefer the look of these. Set up was fine on both DA and Ultegra calipers

spartan

by spartan

curious is there any weight diff between xrv vs dura-ace rotors?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

dcorn

by dcorn

I hated the silver finned R8000 rotors on my all red and black bike, so I swapped them out for the Centerline X rotors I found on a huge discount. The bike brakes just as well, but looks so much better.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I run Shimano RT99, as do many pro teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vjl

by Vjl

Campy rotors are high quality and mate well with my Di2.

MoPho

by MoPho

I've tried a bunch of different rotors, can't say there has been much difference between them. Biggest difference has been which wheels I run on the bike, interestingly the braking with my inexpensive Giant SLR1 wheels is much smoother, quieter, more linear and more powerful than when I run my Enve wheels :noidea:

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Everything running great with my Centerline. I say just match it to your groupset.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Running 160/140 Centreline X's on my CX bike (use it on the road too with different wheels).

Really rate them, no issues at all.

160mm - 121g
140mm - 103g

Shimano RT-99 160mm - 115g
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Onandon

by Onandon

I have two disc road bikes. One with 160/160 and one with 140/140 airotors. I think 76g for the 160s and 66g for the 140s.

I’ve lived in Geneva for the past two years and cycled 7000miles in 2017 and 9000 miles in 2018 on the same four rotors in the alps. No issue stopping my 77kg mass on mountain descents into multiple hairpin bends.

The bike with 160s also did the three descents of ventoux without giving up. Yes, they were hot but still stopped more than we’ll enough.