Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
easyv

by easyv

iamraymond wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:14 pm
I’m trying a pair of these on my new wheels and I’ll chime in again when I have more rides done.

As for the weight they are much lighter than the XTR rotors they replaced. XTR are 190g with centerlocks, Galfer are 153g plus 15g for 12 ti bolts. 67g for the 140mm and 86g for the 160mm
Yeah, let us know your experience since I don't see any testimonials or real world experience accounts of what it's like to ride with these rotors online.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I just did a 2300m ride which involves climbing and descending 3 sides of a local mountain. Absolutely brilliant braking with the Galfer rotors.

My setup: bike weighs 6.8kg, I weigh 63kg. 160mm front and 140mm rear on my BMC SLR01 disc. Front pads are Swiss Stop Endurance. Rear pads are Shimano LO2A. Absolutely no pinging, rubbing, or any noise for that matter after the descents which were 10km, 8km and 7km in length. The last 7km descent is super steep and technical; it really pushes the limits of the braking. With my XTR rotors I expect some noise, but not a peep out of the Galfer rotors. Braking power was excellent. Very satisfied with the rotors.

by Weenie

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Looks like the Galfer centerlock rotors haven't nade their way to the USA yet :(

https://galferusa.com/products/bike

I always like seeing pictures of glowing-hot rotors. I wonder if any cyclist in the world has ever, ever gotten anywhere near having glowing rotors!?!? I'd think you'd have to ride down the side of an entire mountain with your brakes on in order to even get close to that. :P

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:31 pm
Looks like the Galfer centerlock rotors haven't nade their way to the USA yet :(
For like the third time in this thread, BTI has them in stock. Your LBS can probably order them for you.
Here's a link, they still have inventory. :thumbup:

easyv

by easyv

iamraymond wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:19 pm
I just did a 2300m ride which involves climbing and descending 3 sides of a local mountain. Absolutely brilliant braking with the Galfer rotors.

My setup: bike weighs 6.8kg, I weigh 63kg. 160mm front and 140mm rear on my BMC SLR01 disc. Front pads are Swiss Stop Endurance. Rear pads are Shimano LO2A. Absolutely no pinging, rubbing, or any noise for that matter after the descents which were 10km, 8km and 7km in length. The last 7km descent is super steep and technical; it really pushes the limits of the braking. With my XTR rotors I expect some noise, but not a peep out of the Galfer rotors. Braking power was excellent. Very satisfied with the rotors.
Might just have to order a pair of rotors this weekend based on your positive experience :)

robeambro

by robeambro

iamraymond wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Thanks for the review. I'm nearly sold.
Could you post a side picture of your bike? I'm curious to see how they look, I think I've only seen like one or two pictures online.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I don’t have any photos of the non drive side to show the rotors. I’ll see if I can take a photo this afternoon.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Here are some photos:

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

iamraymond wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm
Here are some photos:
Nice lookin' bike! The gray rotors almost disappear in the photos.

Food for thought, you could get some colored anodized bolts for the rotors for just a hint of color on the bike (assuming you'd want that.)

robeambro

by robeambro

iamraymond wrote:
Here are some photos:
So you have nearly the same rims I just ordered (I assume yours are Feder 35, mine will be 45), the same tires I just ordered (well ok, admittedly I will get the Corsa Evo in 28), and possibly the same rotors I will orders. Can't say I could have asked for a more telling picture! :mrgreen:

They do look nice! Maybe the front rotor looks a tad big, but may be an optical effect exhacerbated by the shallow rim.

Zappano

by Zappano

iamraymond wrote:
Here are some photos:
First of all: Nice bike!

I just ordered a pair of the centerlock version (160/140) and also the road brake pads. Currently running Swissstop Catalyst rotors with disc 34 RS pads and they are very quiet but not so powerful (but still enough). The weight of the Galfer rotors is just too good to say no to (140: 76g and 160: 98g). Looking forward to testing them and will post my experience asap.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:04 pm
Nice lookin' bike! The gray rotors almost disappear in the photos.

Food for thought, you could get some colored anodized bolts for the rotors for just a hint of color on the bike (assuming you'd want that.)
Yes the background probably isn't the best to show off the rotors. I like the black bolts, but if Titanium Planet had an iridescent option, then I would have gone that way.

robeambro wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:15 pm
So you have nearly the same rims I just ordered (I assume yours are Feder 35, mine will be 45), the same tires I just ordered (well ok, admittedly I will get the Corsa Evo in 28), and possibly the same rotors I will orders. Can't say I could have asked for a more telling picture! :mrgreen:

They do look nice! Maybe the front rotor looks a tad big, but may be an optical effect exhacerbated by the shallow rim.
Mine are actually the Feder 30 so yours will certainly look a bit deeper. I went with the shallowest option since I had a couple scary moments with crosswinds on descents and I spend most of my time on the hills, not the flats. I'll write up a bit of review/comparison after I've sorted out the issues with the freehub; still a work in progress. Looking forward to seeing your setup.
Zappano wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:18 pm
First of all: Nice bike!

I just ordered a pair of the centerlock version (160/140) and also the road brake pads. Currently running Swissstop Catalyst rotors with disc 34 RS pads and they are very quiet but not so powerful (but still enough). The weight of the Galfer rotors is just too good to say no to (140: 76g and 160: 98g). Looking forward to testing them and will post my experience asap.
What pads did you choose? I found that the Swissstop 34E screamed like a banshee on my XTR rotors, but are dead silent on the Galfer rotors. In my experience, the XTR rotors didn't offer much over the standard Ultegra rotors (except aesthetics and weight). I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Galfer rotors. They are also very affordable compared to Shimano offerings; I paid 30CHF/30USD for each of mine.

Zappano

by Zappano

iamraymond wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:46 pm
What pads did you choose?
Galfer G1455 Road pads for Shimano Dura Ace. Full model number: FD496G1455.

Features and advantages of all their brake pads according to their website:
- Organic semi-metal compound (non asbestos)
- Absence of noise.
- Better feeling, progressiveness and braking power.
- Minimization of vibration to the wheel.
- Less wear on the brake discs.
- Resistance to high temperatures.
- Increased durability.

Let's hope it's true :D
Attachments
Galfer G1455 road brake pads.png
Galfer FD496G1455 brake pads.jpeg
S-Works Tarmac SL7
S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc (6.6kg)
S-Works Tarmac SL6 Rim (6.8kg)
S-Works Epic HT (8.8kg)

GeoffS

by GeoffS

Does the lack of cooling fins on the Galfer pads make a significant difference compared to Shimano pads ?

by Weenie