Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
sychen

by sychen

icantaffordcycling wrote:Has anyone used Campagnolo rotors with Shimano Resin pads (L02A specifically) and noticed a significant amount of warping? I am not that heavy and able to get the rotors to warp on the flats at low speeds by dragging the brake. During even short descents they get extremely loud and warped with light braking.
I reset the pistons and recentered the pads already to no avail.
I know that the Campagnolo rotors are 1.85mm and the Shimano ones are 1.8mm but there is a lot more brake rub than I have experienced with shimano rotors.
Running this setup right now.. Rotor only 2 weeks in...

I had this issue with shimano rotors.. Uneven heat to the rotors makes it goes ting ting ting until at least one revolution of the rotor is engaged.

Haven't had this with the Campagnolo rotors yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Hmm. Maybe I need to restart and try the whole piston reset and readjustment thing again. My rotors aren't 100% true and that is probably also a factor. I'm getting a lot more rub than the ting. Less than 50 miles on the rotors...

by Weenie

sychen

by sychen

I did the pad reset and Caliper realignment when swapping rotors.. The old worn rotors was running the pads close anyway.

Non true rotor wouldn't help..

Did find some excessive movement in the front rotor where the outer vs inner Junction bolts moves a bit under load. I'll be monitoring it to see if it gets worse or causes any issues.

rebem

by rebem

sychen wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 am
icantaffordcycling wrote:Has anyone used Campagnolo rotors with Shimano Resin pads (L02A specifically) and noticed a significant amount of warping? I am not that heavy and able to get the rotors to warp on the flats at low speeds by dragging the brake. During even short descents they get extremely loud and warped with light braking.
I reset the pistons and recentered the pads already to no avail.
I know that the Campagnolo rotors are 1.85mm and the Shimano ones are 1.8mm but there is a lot more brake rub than I have experienced with shimano rotors.
Running this setup right now.. Rotor only 2 weeks in...

I had this issue with shimano rotors.. Uneven heat to the rotors makes it goes ting ting ting until at least one revolution of the rotor is engaged.

Haven't had this with the Campagnolo rotors yet.

Just to throw a curve-ball in here, I had this issue with DA rotors and L02A pads. Drove me insane trying to remediate it. Recently I found a set of K02S (no fins, titanium plate) on special so I threw them on and no more tinging at all. My theory is that the aluminium backing plate on the L02A pads warps, not the rotor. I have a set of L03A pads to try next but right now, I'm loving the K02S ones!

Any thoughts?

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

rebem wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:58 am
Just to throw a curve-ball in here, I had this issue with DA rotors and L02A pads. Drove me insane trying to remediate it. Recently I found a set of K02S (no fins, titanium plate) on special so I threw them on and no more tinging at all. My theory is that the aluminum backing plate on the L02A pads warps, not the rotor. I have a set of L03A pads to try next but right now, I'm loving the K02S ones!

Any thoughts?
Would seem like a plausible solution but I haven't had these problems with the cheap 105 level rotors, even when they are new.

scale29

by scale29

I thought that the K02S pads were steel backed, not titanium?

rebem

by rebem

scale29 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 am
I thought that the K02S pads were steel backed, not titanium?
You are quite correct! I looked up my order tonight and I have the K02Ti pads, not K02S. Nevertheless, not aluminium backing plate. :D

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Campy rotor does not work well with Shimano pads, the pad only covered about 3/4 of the braking surface

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Yeah not worth the pain for aesthetics. I went back to my good old 105-level rotors. I'm over it. Dura-Ace or XTR rotors eventually.

sychen

by sychen

ChiZ01 wrote:Campy rotor does not work well with Shimano pads, the pad only covered about 3/4 of the braking surface
Working ok at this point... Maybe not getting the full powered braking I would otherwise get but contact area is the same regardless of what rotor is use since its limited by the pad shape.

And yes they look good!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

They look good, but make a terrible noise.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

sychen wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:13 am
ChiZ01 wrote:Campy rotor does not work well with Shimano pads, the pad only covered about 3/4 of the braking surface
Working ok at this point... Maybe not getting the full powered braking I would otherwise get but contact area is the same regardless of what rotor is use since its limited by the pad shape.

And yes they look good!
I got significant loss of power when wet, my guess is the rotor is designed for pads to cover both top and bottom circle, shimano pad is too short

Mascalzone

by Mascalzone

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:44 am
Is there any difference between the Campagnolo 03 Rotor and the H11 rotor? Competitive Cyclist weights and photos are too confusing for me. The inner spider looks different but the braking surface and claimed weight is the same for both.
I’d love to know the exact difference between the two as well. From what I can tell by looking at this years catalogue, the 03 rotors are only supplied with 12 speed groupsets and the non-03 rotors with 11 speed. Apart from that (and their price) I cant see much difference, I doubt it matters whether you use the 03 rotors with 11 speed but I’d like to know for sure...

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

Just weighing the different between 140mm RT99 and RT800.

RT99 is 94g
RT800 is 104g

Delta of 10g per rotor. I didn't measure the weight of the cap.
IMG_20200105_153833.jpg
IMG_20200105_153845.jpg

bilwit

by bilwit

ongbenghui wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53 am
Just weighing the different between 140mm RT99 and RT800.

RT99 is 94g
RT800 is 104g

Delta of 10g per rotor. I didn't measure the weight of the cap.
the newer XTR RT-MT900 has them both beat at ~90g, you even see some WT riders including Sagan use them

by Weenie