Cageless water bottles

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
colster

by colster

Have recently seen that cageless water bottles are now a thing, as Fabric have released some that cost hardly any more than a standard bottle.
Does anyone have much experience with them? Seems like a very cheap way to save some grams...

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

It really doesn't work that good...
A friend of mine used to have them but quickly changed them. The bottles tend to jump if the roads are bad.

micky

by micky

One my friend tried them for a couple of weeks but it was a paint in the ass to put them back on and he changed to normal ones.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'm going to experiment with them when my build is finished, as I can save 12-13g over my 2 BTP uni cages, even though I'll be switching from nylon to carbon bolts. I get the feeling the Fabric design relies more heavily on a sturdy bolt hence the switch.

KarlC

by KarlC

I really like the clean simple look of the Fabric water bottle system, so I bought 2. I did not have an issue with them falling off over bumps or putting them back in place, these issues are resolved buy how tight you mount the holders.

What I did not like is the bottle itself, its hard to squeeze and not much water comes out compared to my camelbak podium bottle.

So they are just setting on a shelf not being used, bummer.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I tried them. Had them fall off once, might not have been placed back far enough. Found it difficult to replace the bolts quickly without looking at the bolts, and the bottles dispense fluid incredibly slowly. Went back to podiums (best bottle by far) with carbonworks cages. Very happy.
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kman

by kman

KarlC wrote:I really like the clean simple look of the Fabric water bottle system, so I bought 2. I did not have an issue with them falling off over bumps or putting them back in place, these issues are resolved buy how tight you mount the holders.

What I did not like is the bottle itself, its hard to squeeze and not much water comes out compared to my camelbak podium bottle.

^^^ This is my experience.

Increasing bottle security (over bumps etc) does make it harder to get on and off by hand - tightening the bolts down more or less changes the compression of the "knobs" and therefore how tightly the bottle is held. It is slightly more difficult to put the bottle back onto the frame (although I've been using the normal system with cages for ~25yrs and the cageless system for only 6 months).
The bottles are indeed harder to squeeze in my experience and the water comes out slowly, which I find annoying.

I run one on my CX bike which is sometimes used for commuting. With the Fabric bottle/system, I can commute with a bottle, warm up for races with a bottle and then ditch it for the race and since there is no cage on the frame, carrying the bike is not a problem. For this purpose, I'm happy with them. I would not put them on my everyday bike or a race bike.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Tried one and did a review on it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muuXbssr7dE

It's a nice idea, but for a number of reasons it just didn't work for me.