Sworks Power saddle tear down?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

addictR1 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Thanks for pics! The nose is wide for sure. Wouldn't this cause some rubbing? What's the purpose of wide nose?
Beside Shimano Pro Stealth I'm also considering SQ Labs http://www.sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-ergonomi ... ve-de.html
I really tried to like the Power saddle but it's just too damn wide. I doubt that Specialized will introduce the 132mm.


did you get the SQ Labs saddle? i currently have romin evo pro 143 and wondering if SQ Labs will be lighter?


Yes, read my previous posts. Apparently some contributors on this thread fail to believe that Toupe is not flat with no direct experience with SQlab 612 (non-active). It was ~182 grams. My Romin Evo expert 155mm is 250 grams.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Imaking20
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

by Imaking20

What shape are the wheels on your bike?

Now what shape are they compared to an egg? And a ceramic bearing?

Edit: The funniest thing is that you haven't seemed to realize that my whole intention has been to either get you to describe the SQL as flatter or to articulate why the Toupe isn't flat. I wasn't trying to get you to take your ball and go home.
Current:
T2

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

evan326
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: RVA,USA

by evan326

Reminds me of crocodile dundee
https://youtu.be/POJtaO2xB_o?t=23s

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

Imaking20 wrote:What shape are the wheels on your bike?

Now what shape are they compared to an egg? And a ceramic bearing?

Edit: The funniest thing is that you haven't seemed to realize that my whole intention has been to either get you to describe the SQL as flatter or to articulate why the Toupe isn't flat. I wasn't trying to get you to take your ball and go home.


:spam:

Your intention is utterly silly because you don't own SQlabs 612. I have asked you numerous times before, yet you chime-in with your irrelevant comments. You just shooting the breeze here.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

evan326
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: RVA,USA

by evan326

mpulsiv wrote:
evan326 wrote:Well if I'm not having any issues with soreness that should mean that 143mm isn't too narrow for me right? I've been on this saddle for nearly a year.


Just because someone isn't sore, it doesn't mean a saddle is wide enough to support the sit bones. Is there a reason you want to try Power saddle when Toupe does the job?

I just came across my fit report, it has my ischial tuberosity measurement as 115mm. That should mean that the 143mm is more than enough in any saddle, right?

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

evan326 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
evan326 wrote:Well if I'm not having any issues with soreness that should mean that 143mm isn't too narrow for me right? I've been on this saddle for nearly a year.


Just because someone isn't sore, it doesn't mean a saddle is wide enough to support the sit bones. Is there a reason you want to try Power saddle when Toupe does the job?

I just came across my fit report, it has my ischial tuberosity measurement as 115mm. That should mean that the 143mm is more than enough in any saddle, right?


Based on the width of your sit bones, 143mm is a good fit. If you ever decide to try SQlab 612, size down to 130mm.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

evan326
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: RVA,USA

by evan326

Thanks!

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

I have SQ Labs 611 Ergowave active, which is virtually same saddle as 612. My sitbone width is 110-115mm pending on who measure it.
According to SQ they suggested 140mm version. Pains arrive if saddle is too shallow in width and one step up causes no problem when it comes to Ergowave.
Sure, i have it, but i really don't like it.
I find that the relief zone is too shallow and you can't move because the saddle is really not comfy if you do.
All in all, i would never recommend this to anyone.

Pro Stealth looks nice, but they should have skipped that tail up in the rear. It kills it for me as i move back and forth.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

wheelsONfire wrote:I have SQ Labs 611 Ergowave active, which is virtually same saddle as 612. My sitbone width is 110-115mm pending on who measure it.
According to SQ they suggested 140mm version. Pains arrive if saddle is too shallow in width and one step up causes no problem when it comes to Ergowave.
Sure, i have it, but i really don't like it.
I find that the relief zone is too shallow and you can't move because the saddle is really not comfy if you do.
All in all, i would never recommend this to anyone.

Pro Stealth looks nice, but they should have skipped that tail up in the rear. It kills it for me as i move back and forth.


Who specifically suggested 140mm version? Based on your sit bones width, 140mm is bit wide for you, unless you sit upright on your commuter/urban bike.
Per chart below, you take your sitbone width and add extra width (e.g. +2cm = 115mm sitbone width + 20mm = ~125mm saddle). If your setup is aggressive for racing, you should take a look at 130cm version. Relief channel is deeper as you sit far back, away from the nose. If the saddle is too wide, you may keep moving towards the nose, which defeats the purpose.

Image
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

mpulsiv wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:I have SQ Labs 611 Ergowave active, which is virtually same saddle as 612. My sitbone width is 110-115mm pending on who measure it.
According to SQ they suggested 140mm version. Pains arrive if saddle is too shallow in width and one step up causes no problem when it comes to Ergowave.
Sure, i have it, but i really don't like it.
I find that the relief zone is too shallow and you can't move because the saddle is really not comfy if you do.
All in all, i would never recommend this to anyone.

Pro Stealth looks nice, but they should have skipped that tail up in the rear. It kills it for me as i move back and forth.


Who specifically suggested 140mm version? Based on your sit bones width, 140mm is bit wide for you, unless you sit upright on your commuter/urban bike.
Per chart below, you take your sitbone width and add extra width (e.g. +2cm = 115mm sitbone width + 20mm = ~125mm saddle). If your setup is aggressive for racing, you should take a look at 130cm version. Relief channel is deeper as you sit far back, away from the nose. If the saddle is too wide, you may keep moving towards the nose, which defeats the purpose.

Image


No on the contrary, i can't find comfort if i don't sit very much as far back as possible.
There is zero problems with 140mm talking how i am seated. Who i talked to, it was the guy who handles fitment questions at SQ labs.
I also rode this with TT shorts and two different bib shorts.
What i don't like, is the nose. I don't like saddles with typical standard noses.
For me, they put pressure on perineum.
I have spoken alot with SQ and i also have their fit kit, so i am well aware of this suggestion sheet above.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

Hexsense
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

So i got the SQLabs (612 no Active, 13cm) to test too.
To my surprise, it feel better than my Pro Stealth.

However, i'm not sure if i'll stick with it. It has pretty long but not useful nose. The really usable area are near the back, way back of the Pro Stealth. Long nose that is not usable make my saddle nose stay behind the bottom bracket only 2.6cm on my setup while Power and Pro Stealth make it more like 5-6cm. I believe there is a UCI rule that says saddle nose must be atleast 5cm behind bottom bracket.

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

Hexsense wrote:So i got the SQLabs (612 no Active, 13cm) to test too.
To my surprise, it feel better than my Pro Stealth.

However, i'm not sure if i'll stick with it. It has pretty long but not useful nose. The really usable area are near the back, way back of the Pro Stealth. Long nose that is not usable make my saddle nose stay behind the bottom bracket only 2.6cm on my setup while Power and Pro Stealth make it more like 5-6cm. I believe there is a UCI rule that says saddle nose must be atleast 5cm behind bottom bracket.


Interesting :)
Yes, nose is narrow (e.g. average) but you are not supposed to ride on the nose! You gotta support your sit bones. Wide is better than narrow.
I was about to order the Pro Stealth saddle. I can't say that my SQLabs 612 is perfect but it seems to work for me. Could you take pictures of SQlabs 612 and Pro Stealth side-by-side? I would love to see the saddle profiles from every angle.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Hexsense
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

mpulsiv wrote:Interesting :)
Yes, nose is narrow (e.g. average) but you are not supposed to ride on the nose! You gotta support your sit bones. Wide is better than narrow.
I was about to order the Pro Stealth saddle. I can't say that my SQLabs 612 is perfect but it seems to work for me. Could you take pictures of SQlabs 612 and Pro Stealth side-by-side? I would love to see the saddle profiles from every angle.

average nose width is fine, but then it's not useful so why make it so long?
If the nose is 2.5cm shorter than what it currently is then my set up will be race legal, just like my set-up on Pro Stealth.

for the picture, you may have to wait for a week. I lend my friend my Pro Stealth for test while i'm testing the 612 so it's not with me right now.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post