Sworks Power saddle tear down?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Bianchi10
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 pm

by Bianchi10

I've been running a specialized S works saddle for some time now. Ideally, I'd love to keep the sworks saddle for the carbon rails and shell, but would love to have level 2 padding (Which comes on the comp and expert).

Has anyone torn down a power saddle that would be able to give some information on a sufficient way to possibly swap the padding? Seems to me, it would just be held on with glue?

User avatar
ergott
Posts: 2752
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Location: Islip, NY
Contact:

by ergott

There are some good companies that cover saddles. I don't know where you are located, but here's an example of a top notch company.

http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com/

tarmackev
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 pm

by tarmackev

These saddles seem to incredibly popular. Very tempted by one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexsense
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

^ get it, it's great.

i have only one saddle that i like more than the Specialized Power Saddle.
Which is Shimano Pro Stealth, it is quite similar to the Power saddle but with even wider nose, wider cut out and more progressive widening profile toward the back (a bit more like a triangle than a peach than power saddle). At lower price point. (check price from starbike, it's great).

After all, even if it is very similar, it's still different so get a Power saddle if you tried one and really like it.

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

Hexsense wrote:^ get it, it's great.

i have only one saddle that i like more than the Specialized Power Saddle.
Which is Shimano Pro Stealth, it is quite similar to the Power saddle but with even wider nose, wider cut out and more progressive widening profile toward the back (a bit more like a triangle than a peach than power saddle). At lower price point. (check price from starbike, it's great).

After all, even if it is very similar, it's still different so get a Power saddle if you tried one and really like it.


Perfect timing! I was looking at Shimano Pro Stealth for quite some time. Since it's new, availability is limited. How's the padding on it and how's the profile? Is it flatter or semi-round like Specialized saddles? Widening profile towards the back was a negative for me. Specialized Power saddle felt utterly wide. 143mm felt like 168mm hence I'm back on Romin Evo saddle.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

DaReef
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 am

by DaReef

tarmackev wrote:These saddles seem to incredibly popular. Very tempted by one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


They must fit a particular body type very well. I can ride 200 miles on a Sella Italia SLR but can't ride 5 miles on the power saddle.

User avatar
LouisN
Posts: 2326
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 am
Location: Canada

by LouisN

Side note: I always wanted to try the Power.
I had a Fizik Ares lying around (wich is very similar in shape) and though I would give it a try.
It's now my everyday road saddle, love it !
Lighter than the Power Pro and 1/3 the price :beerchug:
Might tear it down when it's worn.

Louis :)

Hexsense
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

mpulsiv wrote:Perfect timing! I was looking at Shimano Pro Stealth for quite some time. Since it's new, availability is limited. How's the padding on it and how's the profile? Is it flatter or semi-round like Specialized saddles? Widening profile towards the back was a negative for me. Specialized Power saddle felt utterly wide. 143mm felt like 168mm hence I'm back on Romin Evo saddle.

some photo side by side may answer some question.
Wider in the nose, narrower at rear end.
it is quite a bit flatter than the Power. Padding is only a tiny bit thicker than the pro level power which i believe it is the same thickness as the s-works one. It feel a lot better to slide front and back than a single position Power saddle.
DSC_1709_crop_489x402.JPG

DSC_1710_crop_544x336.JPG


Sent from my Nokia 3310 using GPRS
Last edited by Hexsense on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

That's the non carbon 143mm one?
Using Tapatalk

Hexsense
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

both are 143.
Power is the Titanium rail, Pro version.
Pro Stealth is carbon rail, which is cheaper than titanium rail Power saddle.

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

Very tempted to try the Pro. The Power is 95% right, Roman is great but too long.
Using Tapatalk

antonioiglesius
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:08 pm

by antonioiglesius

Are the Power and Pro Stealth both made by the same company (Velo)? They look similar in construction, right?

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

Thanks for pics! The nose is wide for sure. Wouldn't this cause some rubbing? What's the purpose of wide nose?
Beside Shimano Pro Stealth I'm also considering SQ Labs http://www.sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-ergonomi ... ve-de.html
I really tried to like the Power saddle but it's just too damn wide. I doubt that Specialized will introduce the 132mm.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Hexsense
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

mpulsiv wrote:Thanks for pics! The nose is wide for sure. Wouldn't this cause some rubbing? What's the purpose of wide nose?
Beside Shimano Pro Stealth I'm also considering SQ Labs http://www.sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-ergonomi ... ve-de.html
I really tried to like the Power saddle but it's just too damn wide. I doubt that Specialized will introduce the 132mm.

It cause rubbing when i sit far back when i first got it but then i adapt to have my leg parallel instead of leaning in. It never been a problem when i sit quite forward or near the nose.
Wide nose made the nose very very usable and i end up sitting near the nose for most of the time. I slide back to use back part of the saddle mostly on climb. I use nose mostly when doing a big effort pulling. All other time are somewhere in between.

The Power saddle made the saddle short so you can push saddle further forward without going pass through 5cm behind bb rule.
The Pro Stealth made the nose very comfortably usable so you can sit on the nose as long as you like without feeling bad.

jlok
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

To me this kind of saddles is just like a stubby Tri/TT saddle (think Fizik Tritone/Mistica). Just got the Pro Stealth Carbon and will try it asap to see how it compares with Tritone 5.5 (Kium) and Prologo Scratch Pro CPC PAS (Tirox).

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post