Strange Di2 problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

TurboKoo wrote:Where and how have you installed battery? If it's wrapped in bubble plastic it might get too hot.

Although my other S-Works has a homemade foamy kind of battery holder, this one has a 'proper' Ritchey holder.

Still, can't be heat though can it? I mean the pros were riding Di2 in Qatar and Dubai!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Operating temperature is from –10 °C - 50 °C so I can imagine that it could shut down system if it's too hot ie. left in direct sunshine for too long time.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

OK so yesterday was fine, 130km, 2000m of ups no issues.

Today, 3rd shutdown!! 85km and 1550 ups and we arrive to check our clients at new hotel. Takes 20 minutes or so.

Come out to ride bike and it's all dead, nothing. Start riding up a col anyway, as I'm in small/6th which isn't too bad, and as I suspected after about 5 minutes, it all comes back to life.

So that's 3 times the exact same problem;
a) Leave bike 10 mins plus - may or may not work when you go back to it.
b) If it doesn't work, nothing you can do; no reset, no button pressing, even dis and reconnecting the battery does nothing
c) After about 5 minutes it comes back to life, fine.

Tomorrow's forecast rain, so I'm off to the bike shop to fit the new battery and get everything updated on their PC computer.

I think it has to be the battery, but it can't be heat related as the Qatar Road Race thing would never have happened!!

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Still think it's the connecting cable and not the battery (if you already replaced the battery).
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Pokerface07 wrote:Still think it's the connecting cable and not the battery (if you already replaced the battery).

But wouldn't that produce much more variable breakdowns? i.e whilst riding, longer/shorter time out of action, etc.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

cyclespeed wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:Still think it's the connecting cable and not the battery (if you already replaced the battery).

But wouldn't that produce much more variable breakdowns? i.e whilst riding, longer/shorter time out of action, etc.

In an earlier post, I thought you said you swapped the battery and the problem went away? But now its back? Or did I mis-read that?

A loose/faulty wire might cause the symptoms you describe. As could a faulty battery. Replace one or the other and asses..

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

cyclespeed wrote:Interesting; both times this happened, the bike was in full sun, but it's not THAT hot at the moment, only about 23'C ish.

Really busy running tours at the moment, so haven't had time to check much.

Bought new BT-DN110 today as a safeguard; this bike has the older BTR2 so it was on the cards anyway.

140km today with lots of pauses and no 'deadness'.

So did you actually install the new battery, or just buy it?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

No just bought it. Was going to swap it on the next shutdown, but I didn't have it with me.

Prefer to wait to install it, to get everything updated first. I've had several 'lock-ups' with Di2 in the past due to incompatibilities and firmware issues, so I'd rather do it with a PC and the PCE-1 present if possible.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Might be a good idea to get the new bluetooth D-Fly unit.

Makes updating firmware a lot easier as you can do it via phone/tablet.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Pokerface07 wrote:Might be a good idea to get the new bluetooth D-Fly unit.

Yeah, I have that on my French bike, but not on the Spanish one. I figured I'd just leave the Spanish one alone, as long as it was working fine, no need to update. But now this....!

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

cyclespeed wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:Might be a good idea to get the new bluetooth D-Fly unit.

Yeah, I have that on my French bike, but not on the Spanish one. I figured I'd just leave the Spanish one alone, as long as it was working fine, no need to update. But now this....!

It won't help you now but I was able to basically plug one bike into another to update all the firmware. One bike had the new bluetooth stuff, the other didn't. But by unplugging the cable from the rear mech of the bluetooth bike, and plugging it into the port on the rear mech of the non-bluetooth bike, I was able to connect to the non-bluetooth bike and update everything.

Just placed the 2 bikes beside each other so the rear mechs were basically touching. :)

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

That's a nice idea, but I'm surprised the system doesn't get confused by seeing 2 x front mechs, 2 x sets of shifters, etc.?

Anyway, rainy day so bike shop visit. They're super busy for the Mallorca 312 race this Saturday of course, so I changed the battery myself in the shop (would have preferred they checked the system first).

New 110 battery in, all works. Left bike with them, they checked and updated it all, looks fine. Everything works, but then it mostly did before too!

The only way to be sure now is to ride it and make sure the 'dead after pause' problem doesn't resurface again.....

Stueys

by Stueys

I've had this happen once to me (brilliantly mid-way around the maratona route), 9070, the gears just went completely dead on me. No lights, no sign of life. I disconnected as many of the cables as I could reach at the road side and reconnected, it started working again. None of the connections seemed loose and the battery was only 9 months old at that point so I'm fairly certain it wasn't a battery issue, I'm still using the same battery and it holds charge, etc.

I've yet to have the problem reoccur. My theory is that the cables form a waterproof seal and changes in temp may cause moisture, etc, to build. Something that disrupts the connectivity. Maybe it's good practice to disconnect and reconnect the cables as part of periodic deep mainteance?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Stueys wrote:I've had this happen once to me (brilliantly mid-way around the maratona route), 9070, the gears just went completely dead on me.

Can you remember if it was after a long period of no gear changes (i.e. 5 mins +) or was it just sudden?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I'm in Majorca too. I could have fixed it for you ;)