Strange Di2 problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

cyclespeed wrote:
Stueys wrote:I've had this happen once to me (brilliantly mid-way around the maratona route), 9070, the gears just went completely dead on me.

Can you remember if it was after a long period of no gear changes (i.e. 5 mins +) or was it just sudden?

Hmmm, it was straight after stopping for espresso. Could well have been the first gear change after the stop, if not certainly no more than 1-2 mins after stopping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

So to come back to this!

Just came back to Majorca for another tour and on the first day, guess what? After coffee stop the problem is back!

Exactly the same - totally dead Di2. But after 3 or 4 minutes it comes back to life and is then fine.

So managed to get to the bike shop that changed the battery and told them it wasn't the battery! So back on their PCE-1 and everything checks out fine.

Unless I can get the bike to them when it's dead, not much they can do, but I only have a 4 minute window to do that!

So I reckon the only component that can be doing this is the EW90 control box. Nothing else has a 'brain'. I would have bought and fitted an RS910 if they'd had one in stock, but no.

So this thing continues and no doubt tomorrow it'll happen again. Unless I can shift the gears a few times during lunch that is....

squid046

by squid046

you're going to be a couple of hundred into this before all is said and done! What a pain in the ass.

Broady

by Broady

I had a similar problem, one of the ports on my internal junction box somehow got an intermittent fault, unfortunately it was the port my battery was connected to so the whole system would crap out every now and again. Switched the box for £20 and everything is fine now.

Rudi

by Rudi

Got a very similar issue. Not sure it relates to stopping though. Just goes dead from time to time.

Ultegra version with external battery. I thought I'd sussed it out when I plugged the battery cable into a different bike and it worked. So replaced the battery harness expecting a fix. No.

Then noticed the cable to harness connection wasn't good on the cable side of things. Do took out BB and replaced cable. Also replaced the old one Junction A style with the more recent 3 port junction.

Works fine, then doesn't. I didn't fully check the other connections on the junction B when I had it apart. I'm thinking last chance is the A-B cable at the B end of things. At the end of what I think I can do other than buying a complete new system.

Like Cyclespeed says, unless I can get it to the shop when it is in the "dead" phase there is not a lot they can diagnose.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Just wondering if this was solved as my 9070 Di2 decided to die for about 5 mins tonite and then come back to life...
This is the first time its happened, charged battery Sat evg and have about 250km on it in the last 3 days...
Pushing and holding shifter also shows green light on junction..so batt is at full charge..

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

ParisCarbon wrote:Just wondering if this was solved as my 9070 Di2 decided to die for about 5 mins tonite and then come back to life...
This is the first time its happened, charged battery Sat evg and have about 250km on it in the last 3 days...
Pushing and holding shifter also shows green light on junction..so batt is at full charge..

Make sure all cables are plugged in properly - particularly the ones in the Brifters themselves. If those come loose, they can cause the symptoms you are talking about.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Pokerface07 wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:Just wondering if this was solved as my 9070 Di2 decided to die for about 5 mins tonite and then come back to life...

Make sure all cables are plugged in properly - particularly the ones in the Brifters themselves. If those come loose, they can cause the symptoms you are talking about.

Would one of the shift cables loose shut down the entire system though?? I had a problem a few mnths ago where the shop retaped my bars and one of the FD wires came loose, but all it did was shut down the FD, not the entire system....

LeviR

by LeviR

This is interesting.

This happened to me once when the front Derailleur connection was severed.

Took it to my local shop and they solved the problem.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Well I raced tonite and no spurts without battery power... I will chock it up as an electrical gremlin until further notice :shock:

haichdot

by haichdot

I'm currently having this exact problem.

batter has been replaced.
Any solutions from OP?

Cheers

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Stumbled on this thread. I've had exactly the same issues as the OP. Driving me bonkers!
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

Kazyole

by Kazyole

I had weirdly a similar issue on a ride on Saturday. After a stop to get more water, I completely lost my RD. Ended up riding home with 2 gears with only my FD working. Did a bunch of reading and was convinced it was one of a few things: My battery was dying, the junction box was having some kind of issue, my RD motor was broken somehow or one of the wire connections had come loose. Double checked the RD connection and it was fine. Tested crash recovery mode and the RD obediently cycled the gears. So thankfully eliminated the most expensive option.

Turns out I guess when my bars were recently rewrapped, there wasn't enough slack in the wires and the connection had been slowly working its way back out on its way into the shifter. Popped it right back in and now it's good to go with no additional problems.

So, anyone encountering any kind of similar issue where you've lost shifting, I would check crash recovery mode (hold down the button on the junction box for 5 seconds while turning the cranks). If your RD moves it at least means the connections inside the frame haven't worked loose. And then you're left with the connections up front.

Otherwise I guess in addition to the harder to access connections it could be something more serious, like an actual dead battery or malfunctioning junction box.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Cheers Kazyole, good to know! I'm certainly going to start with the shifter hood loop. I always loop as suggested, but can't actually see it under the bar tape at the minute, so I guess it's a good excuse to throw some new bar tape on there anyway!

I was convinced for a while that it was a temperature thing, as it first did it last summer when we'd stopped at a pub and I left bike in full sun. Even though air temp was low 30 deg C, I wondered if the battery inside the tube had got overheted somehow. Anyway, more recent failures have led me to discount that theory now.
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com