Dura Ace 9100/9150 noisier than 9000!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I find my R9150 (R9170) drivetrain noisy on the big ring as well and I have no clue how to deal with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

make sure the chain length is correct. too short or long and it makes noise. more sensitive than old 9000
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

rmr40

by rmr40

spartan wrote:make sure the chain length is correct. too short or long and it makes noise. more sensitive than old 9000
I’ve tried both extremes - makes no difference..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikeguy0

by bikeguy0

I just spoke with Shimano and he said that he hadn't heard of this issue specifically. When I get a moment I'll pull my wifes 6800 52/36 crankset and put it on my bike to see if it makes any difference. If SRAM RED etap did't have terrible looking hoods for their hydraulic system I might swap it out but there is no way I'm paying that kind of money for a bulbous fat hood.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I was looking and comparing a 9150 RD and a 9070 RD the other day and I noticed something that I hadn't to date. The guide pulley on the 9150 has noticeably taller teeth than the tension pulley. The 9070 has pulleys that look equally shaped with the lower profile teeth that the lower/tension pulley on the 9150 has. Could this be the source of a lot of the noise with 9100 RDs vs the previous gen 9070 RDs?

marek

by marek

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:59 pm
I was looking and comparing a 9150 RD and a 9070 RD the other day and I noticed something that I hadn't to date. The guide pulley on the 9150 has noticeably taller teeth than the tension pulley. The 9070 has pulleys that look equally shaped with the lower profile teeth that the lower/tension pulley on the 9150 has. Could this be the source of a lot of the noise with 9100 RDs vs the previous gen 9070 RDs?
I don't think so. I've installed CeramicSpeed OSPW and the noise remains similar :/

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

I sorted mine by binning the Dura Ace hollow chain and moving to Ultegra. Big difference. Seems the hollow pins are noisy ?

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I'm running Ultegra chains and still have the issue.

Post Man Pat

by Post Man Pat

Has anyone figured out a 100% fix? I only partialy don't want to believe my Retro Grouch mechanic co-worker, who's theory is that of "this is the karma of ruining an elegant road bike with a mountain bike derailleur". That being said he does have the only high end road bike that I've seen through the shop that never has made a sound out of place or creaked(rides 12k km a year). His set up uses a 11-25 6800 cassette and ultegra chain with dura ace 9100. Only big trick is a 9000 rd.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Post Man Pat wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 am
Has anyone figured out a 100% fix? I only partialy don't want to believe my Retro Grouch mechanic co-worker, who's theory is that of "this is the karma of ruining an elegant road bike with a mountain bike derailleur". That being said he does have the only high end road bike that I've seen through the shop that never has made a sound out of place or creaked(rides 12k km a year). His set up uses a 11-25 6800 cassette and ultegra chain with dura ace 9100. Only big trick is a 9000 rd.
I don't think I want to throw another 400-500€ on the older RD.

Schulzy

by Schulzy

Did anyone manage to solve this issue? It seems I've stumbled upon the same thing. I have a brand new TCR SL Disc with 8070 di2 and it is the noisiest drivetrain I've ever heard, only in the big ring from about mid cassette.

I have tried different lubes to no avail. Not only is it noisy it also shifts rather slow and sloppy compared to my mates di2 setups, I've also played with the trim to no effect. Makes me rather remorseful about the money spent on the bike, that's for sure.

kode54

by kode54

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:59 pm
Yes, the top pulleys remind me of a 1X chainring with taller teeth. Because of that, when I switched from 9070 to 9150, I had to adjust the B screw. The taller teeth almost touched the cassette...and that's where my noise came from.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

boysie

by boysie

Schulzy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:03 pm
Did anyone manage to solve this issue? It seems I've stumbled upon the same thing. I have a brand new TCR SL Disc with 8070 di2 and it is the noisiest drivetrain I've ever heard, only in the big ring from about mid cassette.

I have tried different lubes to no avail. Not only is it noisy it also shifts rather slow and sloppy compared to my mates di2 setups, I've also played with the trim to no effect. Makes me rather remorseful about the money spent on the bike, that's for sure.
I have a 2019 TCR SL 1 Disc on order (Ultegra 8070) and hope it's not noisey as you suggest.

Interestingly the bikes that it's replacing, a TCR Pro Disc with 8070, and a TCR SL (non disc non DI2) that is fitted with full DA9100, out of the two the SL with DA9100 is noisier than 8070.. I put it down to the fact that the chain can be run longer with DI2 as it's configured not to go into small/small.. Both bikes are running 11/28, 52/36.

Also My previous TCR from two or three years ago was fitted with DA9000 and that was the noisiest bike of the three.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

One significant difference between the 9000 and 9100 series is the use of a stronger pulley cage tension on the 9100. In theory this would increase the amount of tension of the chain from the cassette through the two pulleys. I don't think the upper pulley shape change will cause more noise. But a higher tensioned chain might. The only way to test this would be to reduce the cage pulley spring tension. On the 9000 this is adjustable with three settings I believe. I don't think the 9100 is ajustable but I could be wrong.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m gonna say that in my opinion the vast majority if not all of these “noise” issues a few people seem to have are setup related. I think 9100 is perfectly smooth and quiet when set up correctly.
Regarding the taller teeth, for sure you can’t have it adjusted so the pulley with chain is jamming into the cogs. If you do, then yes, it’s going to be noisy and it also is a setup issue. Adjust it.
As for the fact that Di2 locks you out of the small ring/smallest two cogs combos, that does not mean you should be running a shorter chain. The chain lengths should be identical (assuming rings/cassette combos and chainstay length) are comparable. If you run a chain that is too short, you will never be able to get the “system” adjusted as precisely and accurate as it is designed to be. The upper pulley and chain will end up being too far from the cassette, and that will be exacerbated as the cassette range gets larger.
Finally, if your chainstays are so short as to cause a relatively extreme chainline this can be the cause of noise too as the chain reengages with the front rings during its incoming rotation. Although, locking out the two smallest cogs kind of makes this a non issue when in the small ring at least. Running discs with the wider rear spacing also contributes to a more extreme chainline.
Anyway, since I’ve never experienced any of this excessive noise on any of my setups, I find it hard to believe that it isn’t a setup issue for those of you who do. Chainlength is critical, do it right. Many don’t. Even though they think they have. Hanger alignment of course should be verified, not just “assumed” to be straight. But the noise must be eliminated. Any unnecessary noise on a road bike is too annoying to just “live with”. Especially a nice bike. Good luck.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com