Dura Ace 9100/9150 noisier than 9000!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

ryanw wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am
KMC chains = the issue...
Quite possibly. No difference on my Foil but my Emonda was markedly louder with a KMC, hence move to DA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

ryanw wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am
KMC chains = the issue...
Not in my case. I only use Shimano HG901 (and the 12 speed version while in testing).

Visqu

by Visqu

BianchiDave wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 am

My Foil's geometry means I have to run a slightly longer chain than I'd like. Even if I remove one link, the noise is unbearable! This means my chain is actually slack in the smallest two rear sprockets. I could increase tension, but this moves the top jockey wheel too far from the cassette meaning less crisp shifting.
Sizing my chain correctly as per the Shimano instructions also led to a pretty slack chain on the smallest combo allowed by di2. Very little chain tension with the smallest possible b-gap.
Solved this by installing a 12t tension pulley instead of the standard 11t, small increase in tension and nice shifting.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Visqu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm
BianchiDave wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 am

My Foil's geometry means I have to run a slightly longer chain than I'd like. Even if I remove one link, the noise is unbearable! This means my chain is actually slack in the smallest two rear sprockets. I could increase tension, but this moves the top jockey wheel too far from the cassette meaning less crisp shifting.
Sizing my chain correctly as per the Shimano instructions also led to a pretty slack chain on the smallest combo allowed by di2. Very little chain tension with the smallest possible b-gap.
Solved this by installing a 12t tension pulley instead of the standard 11t, small increase in tension and nice shifting.
Interesting thanks. What type of tension pulley did you fit? I've found Hope 12 tooth ones in the UK, in orange too so they'd go with my bike. Might be best to just replace guide and tension with a 12 tooth, if they fit in existing cage without issue

Visqu

by Visqu

Just an inexpensive pulley made by KCNC.

This was kind of an experiment but stuck with it for the time being, maybe I'll order something made from delrin to cut down some very slight noise from the aluminum pulley.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Visqu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 pm
Just an inexpensive pulley made by KCNC.

This was kind of an experiment but stuck with it for the time being, maybe I'll order something made from delrin to cut down some very slight noise from the aluminum pulley.
OK thanks

Visqu

by Visqu

One thing about the pulleys and I'm sure this has already been discussed, but the newest guide pulley no longer has the same slack in the bearing design as the old models did.
This poses stricter requirements on drivetrain fine tuning AND alignment. Check your derailleur hangers with a tool.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

My R8000 drivetrain was noisy as well, especially on the big ring. I didn't really notice the noise at first until I started riding my 10spd 5700 bike which was pretty much silent. I always use Finish Line Wet on the 10 speed bike because it's primarily a commuter and sees all sorts of bad weather. On the R8000 bike, I've always used Muc Off C3. I tried switching from Muc Off C3 to Finish Line Wet on my R8000 bike and noticed that it did quiet things down a bit, but I just couldn't stand how dirty/oily the chain was. I tried Squirt which made no difference in terms of noise compared to Muc Off C3. I also tried the J&L 12t/14t jockey wheels, but that made no noticeable difference either.

Last week, I switched to the XTR 12 speed chain and now the drivetrain is just as quiet as my 10 speed bike. Finally!!! I'm still using Squirt lube, but I had to ditch the J&L jockey wheels since those didn't play well with the 12 speed chain.

alanyu

by alanyu

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:19 pm
My R8000 drivetrain was noisy as well, especially on the big ring. I didn't really notice the noise at first until I started riding my 10spd 5700 bike which was pretty much silent. I always use Finish Line Wet on the 10 speed bike because it's primarily a commuter and sees all sorts of bad weather. On the R8000 bike, I've always used Muc Off C3. I tried switching from Muc Off C3 to Finish Line Wet on my R8000 bike and noticed that it did quiet things down a bit, but I just couldn't stand how dirty/oily the chain was. I tried Squirt which made no difference in terms of noise compared to Muc Off C3. I also tried the J&L 12t/14t jockey wheels, but that made no noticeable difference either.

Last week, I switched to the XTR 12 speed chain and now the drivetrain is just as quiet as my 10 speed bike. Finally!!! I'm still using Squirt lube, but I had to ditch the J&L jockey wheels since those didn't play well with the 12 speed chain.
You can file down the wide teeth a bit of J & L jockey wheels. I did this to make them fit with XTR 12s chain and it was a piece of cake.

nycebo

by nycebo

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:22 pm
Somehow, my bike is not as quiet 4-5 clicks back as per perscribed in manual.
It is quieter and shift better 7 clicks back on mine.
My best is that you're rear mech hanger is out of alignment if you need 7 clicks.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Don't rely on clicks, use your eyes!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

So I'm using 9170 with a Dura ace chain and the factory "lube".
It was silent.

Last weekend I ultrasonic cleaned the chain and relived with Silca NFS (one drop per link, then 12 random drops) and now it's super loud.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Dannnnn wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 pm
It was silent.

Last weekend I ultrasonic cleaned the chain and relived with Silca NFS (one drop per link, then 12 random drops) and now it's super loud.

That heavy metal protectant the chain comes with will muffle a lot of noise... and collect a lot of crap too.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 pm
It was silent.

That heavy metal protectant the chain comes with will muffle a lot of noise... and collect a lot of crap too.
Yeah that's why I cleaned it off
With new chains I always wipe the outsides of them before using them anyway to limit the amount that can stick to them.

Alex222

by Alex222

First ride today with the M9100 chain and the drive chain was nice and quiet, just what I was hoping for. No discernible difference in shift quality either. So very pleased with the change.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com