Dura Ace 9100/9150 noisier than 9000!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm
I’m gonna say that in my opinion the vast majority if not all of these “noise” issues a few people seem to have are setup related. I think 9100 is perfectly smooth and quiet when set up correctly.
Regarding the taller teeth, for sure you can’t have it adjusted so the pulley with chain is jamming into the cogs. If you do, then yes, it’s going to be noisy and it also is a setup issue. Adjust it.
As for the fact that Di2 locks you out of the small ring/smallest two cogs combos, that does not mean you should be running a shorter chain. The chain lengths should be identical (assuming rings/cassette combos and chainstay length) are comparable. If you run a chain that is too short, you will never be able to get the “system” adjusted as precisely and accurate as it is designed to be. The upper pulley and chain will end up being too far from the cassette, and that will be exacerbated as the cassette range gets larger.
Finally, if your chainstays are so short as to cause a relatively extreme chainline this can be the cause of noise too as the chain reengages with the front rings during its incoming rotation. Although, locking out the two smallest cogs kind of makes this a non issue when in the small ring at least. Running discs with the wider rear spacing also contributes to a more extreme chainline.
Anyway, since I’ve never experienced any of this excessive noise on any of my setups, I find it hard to believe that it isn’t a setup issue for those of you who do. Chainlength is critical, do it right. Many don’t. Even though they think they have. Hanger alignment of course should be verified, not just “assumed” to be straight. But the noise must be eliminated. Any unnecessary noise on a road bike is too annoying to just “live with”. Especially a nice bike. Good luck.
Keep in mind that the lockout is only for certain combinations of chainring size. I run 53-39 and I can override the lockout in the ETube software and run the chain in all possible gear combinations if I wish.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I know. My point was that whether you ride with the two smallest cogs locked out or not, that should not influence the optimal chainlength for your system. In other words, don’t make it shorter just because you don’t use those two smallest cogs while in the small ring. For those who haven’t seen it you should have a read through my “Optimal Chainlength” thread.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I found this interesting video on the new Shimano guide pulley, one with the tall teeth. It seems like the only purpose of the redesign is to prevent you from using a non-Shimano chain. I only use Shimano chains so I haven't run across this issue yet. However I can't seem to recall anyone having an issue using a non-Shimano chain. What's going on here? Why wouldn't two different chains be compatible with a guide pulley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejzq6a1bKC4

jlok

by jlok

Does it apply to road groups? Giant has been using KMC chains with Shimano groups. My Propel is KMC as well, no issue.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Those links on that first new chain look very stiff. Plus, he starts out with the links riding on top of the tall pulley teeth. That ensures that none of the teeth following it will be able to bed in the valleys either. Very poor demonstration of nothing in my opinion.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

yechangjin wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 am
I

In order to hold the chain stay length of the frame for the disc brake, the 9100 crank inner chain ring went into the frame side by about 4 mm to hold the chain line,

No, it was actually about 0.4mm and not 4mm.

Hapatron

by Hapatron

I'm having the same issues with my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc running R8070 Ultegra. Extremely noisy, much more so than the RX800 on my gravel bike.
Hanger is perfectly aligned, gears are indexed properly with micro-adjust as well as the L/H screws and B-tension.

Has anyone found a solution?

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I’ve found my bike’s 9150 drivetrain is a lot quieter with KMC chain without sacrificing shifting performance. The model is X11.93 which I bought from local Performance for less than $20. I would expect the more expensive KMC models nosier because of hollow plates.

simon790

by simon790

My new training bike runs R8000 Ultegra which came with an 11-28T cassette. I swapped to a new 11-25T cassette which was horrendously noisey. Additionally when running in the 17T cog, the outside of the chain would catch on the same two teeth of the 16T cog (it was fine in all other gears). The gears are index correctly and it changes smoothly. I sent the cassette back, got another, same issue. Note the original 11-28T runs smooth and quiet. I switched the 11-25T Ultegra cassette to a new CS9000 11-25T cassette, runs smooth. I'm very sceptical about the quality of the new Ultegra cassettes.
Colnago C60, Wilier Zero 7, Vitus Vitesse Evo, Condor Baracchi

Boshk

by Boshk

I swapped my R8000 11-32 for a Chorus 11-29 just to see if it was quieter and sure enough it was, didn't even change the chain, just adjusted the B screw on R8000 RD.
No idea....

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

This is entirely anecdotal, but I put a 9100 mechanical group on a Parlee Altum a few years ago. It was really noisy and nothing I did got it quiet. It was just regular drive train noise, but surprisingly loud.

I took that same 9100 group and put it on a (steel) Cinelli Nemo Tig in January and it is pretty much silent. I did put on a new chain when I moved the group, but I had replaced the chain on that Parlee a few times with no effect on noise.

The difference in drivetrain noise between the Parlee and Cinelli is pretty remarkable. The Cinelli's chain stays are 5mm shorter, and it is certainly possible that the parlee's hanger was a little bent, it it is a striking difference.

I also recently acquired a Giant TCR with Ultegra 8000 and it is pretty quiet. I'm going to put 9150 on it in the off season and I'm really curious to see if the drivetrain noise changes.

My current benchmark for drivetrain noise is a (Steel) Battaglin with 9000 mechanical. It is really quiet across the cog and shifts the front chainrings effortlessly. Such a pleasure to ride. I think I prefer 9000 to 9100 in most respects.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Hapatron wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:11 am
I'm having the same issues with my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc running R8070 Ultegra. Extremely noisy, much more so than the RX800 on my gravel bike.
Hanger is perfectly aligned, gears are indexed properly with micro-adjust as well as the L/H screws and B-tension.

Kogel 12-12t jockey wheels :thumbup:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Hapatron wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:11 am

gravel bike likely have longer chainstays thus less extreme chain-lines

XCProMD

by XCProMD

GothicCastle wrote:This is entirely anecdotal, but I put a 9100 mechanical group on a Parlee Altum a few years ago. It was really noisy and nothing I did got it quiet. It was just regular drive train noise, but surprisingly loud.

I took that same 9100 group and put it on a (steel) Cinelli Nemo Tig in January and it is pretty much silent. I did put on a new chain when I moved the group, but I had replaced the chain on that Parlee a few times with no effect on noise.

The difference in drivetrain noise between the Parlee and Cinelli is pretty remarkable. The Cinelli's chain stays are 5mm shorter, and it is certainly possible that the parlee's hanger was a little bent, it it is a striking difference.

I also recently acquired a Giant TCR with Ultegra 8000 and it is pretty quiet. I'm going to put 9150 on it in the off season and I'm really curious to see if the drivetrain noise changes.

My current benchmark for drivetrain noise is a (Steel) Battaglin with 9000 mechanical. It is really quiet across the cog and shifts the front chainrings effortlessly. Such a pleasure to ride. I think I prefer 9000 to 9100 in most respects.
Best Dura Ace ever was 7800.

Everything after that has been a downhill ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:45 pm
Best Dura Ace ever was 7800.

Everything after that has been a downhill ride.
Certainly one of the better looking versions. It still looks good.