Shimano R9100-P Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Really wish Shimano would add powermeter firmware updates to the desktop application as the connection process in the E-tube app is abysmal! While I have managed to install 4.1.7 on two cranks, the E-tube app as once I managed to get the app connected to one crank, I essentially had to hold my Samsung Galaxy S9 in contact with the face of the crank to get a successful update. Also does not appear that the app can handle multiple simultaneous powermeter connections, despite renaming the first powermeter to avoid conflicts, the only way I could update the second was to un-pair the first!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I have to update my 2 Dura Ace powermeters (that have each a distinctive name) also separately. Not a big deal for me actually.

But with my iOS version the bluetooth connection is very good with the powermeter. I can be 1 meter away.

jelledb

by jelledb

I am quite tempted to try this one out. I am running a FSA Powerbox with 30mm axle in a bb86 frame, and my bottom bracket only lasted 5000kms. I read on Shimanos website that a firmware update was released this March. As far I could understand from the cryptic (every single manufacturer does so 😜) change log, they introduced Bluetooth data transfer, am I right? Is the imbalance glitch still there? I recently discovered that SRM launched an alloy version of their origin as well, but they are a bit more expensive and also don’t deliver “true” left right individual measurements (assuming Shimano’s readings are accurate?).

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you look at the history of other PMs, it takes a few hardware iterations to iron out the bugs. I’d wait for the next generation Shimano PM. Better to stick to something already proven if you’re serious about power measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickstea

by nickstea

Has anyone else heard that there is a stop production on this powermeter?

I have two of them and I have had them for 16 months. I have been very happy.
That being said, if they stopped production due to a fault I wonder if they would consider replacing mine?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

nickstea wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 am

That being said, if they stopped production due to a fault I wonder if they would consider replacing mine?
My LBS said they quit production because of inaccuracies and issues with the battery life.

nickstea

by nickstea

That’s what I heard too, specifically L/R inaccuracies due to the spindle overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Overheating?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Cervelolite

by Cervelolite

Interesting...if they're defective they should be recalled. That said they have a 3 year warranty so i'd take comfort if it blows up you're backed by Shimano and not a 3rd party product that's retrofitted on a DA crank. I thought something like 6 pro-teams (some are really big teams too) are using them this year...we will see if they get changed out. Based on this i took a punt and bought one a few weeks ago over a pioneer. Perhaps it's the wrong decision but I'm backing Shimano will resolve teething issues and the warranty is long enough to cover this.

One thing I noticed is that the L/R balance depends on the analysis software. Training Peaks shows a closer balance than Wahoo Elemnt ride summary which is weird cause i thought TP was the software behind Wahoo. But yes i also noticed the ghosting - ie. left pedal shows 5%/95% split when pedalling with only right foot clipped in which is annoying.

The interesting point is that PM's are a point of reference so you know as long as it's accurate against itself then it will suffice for training (perhaps not for your ego) - all the reviews i read is that the total power is pretty accurate (save for the balance, dont ask me how and in any case i dont look at this metric anyway) and i must say mine has been rock solid in terms of not dropping out etc. I've had awful issues in the past with Stages etc. I'm hoping its just a firmware fix in due course. The overheating thing is a bit concerning though so any more info/context that can be shared here would be appreciated.

TonyM

by TonyM

I have two DA powermeter and to me they seem to show the same total power than my Power2Max (My Stage Gen2 is much higher). I don’t look at the L/R that much anyway. Battery life in the winter is much lower than in the summer.

jelledb

by jelledb

I fully agree with the idea of waiting a few iterations to get a more stable product. But I really couldn’t hold myself 😊. Yup, I pulled the trigger and ordered a R9100-P. I like somehow the idea of being a Pioneer (no pun intended 😜). Considering the price you expect a premium product and the first ride really didn’t disappoint me. I have an NG Eco Rotor 3d24 and an alloy FSA Powerbox and have developed a kind of “feeling” of how a certain wattage feels. I gave the Shimano power meter it’s first proper ride and all is looking good!!! 52-48 LR balance seems kind of legit to (I’m a left hand person and mount/dismount left during cyclocross). Did a ride in “de Vlaamse Ardennen” (tour of Flanders territory) and the R9100-P is dealing very well with the very spiky power demands and the rough cobbled sections of Flanders. Will probably do a “Shane Miller or DCRainmaker” kind of test when I find a bit of spare time.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I’ve been riding with mine since October 2017 without single problem. My left left is slightly stronger so Garmin shows 50/50 or 51/49 but trainingpeaks shows more accurately.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

TonyM

by TonyM

TurboKoo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am
I’ve been riding with mine since October 2017 without single problem. My left left is slightly stronger so Garmin shows 50/50 or 51/49 but trainingpeaks shows more accurately.
What do you mean by " trainingpeaks shows more accurately"? Does Trainingspeak show something different than the Garmin??

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I mean that Garmin does rounding but IMO that’s the correct way to do it. No need for unnecessary accuracy.

Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maxxlefty

by Maxxlefty

nickstea wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 am

is it official what you say? how do you say this?

SKY, QuickStep, CCC, SCOTT Mitchelton, use this pm today.... why?