Shimano R9100-P Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

chrispana wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 pm
The pioneer seems good, but i'm never going to use the Pioneer computer so that's not an attractive option when I can have a factory backed PM at a good price (im in Aus)....
You only need the pioneer headunit to update the firmware on the PM. I've been using my pioneer PM with garmin 520 for almost a year now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

chrispana wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:13 pm
chrispana wrote:Has anyone had any luck addressing any of the balance and overall power data from the Shimano 9100p power meter recently through firmware or other updates? I'm currently looking at this or the 4iii podium power and so far it's looking like 4iii all the way, being my first PM, I want a good experience and not one plagued with these kinds of issues from day one
AFAIK there are also some problems with the 4iiii (see here in the forum)....

Powermeters without any problems are Power2Max and Pioneer.

BTW some problems can be addressed with an update, some others not....
I've heard the Power 2 max is rock solid but it's a pain to setup with Shimano (need rotor crank arms etc.) L/R balance is an estimation / algorithm that's calculated based on assumptions as you ride and a heavier alternative, so this isn't the path i'm keen on. The pioneer seems good, but i'm never going to use the Pioneer computer so that's not an attractive option when I can have a factory backed PM at a good price (im in Aus)....i'm leaning now toward the Shimano, supply for 4iii is 2 months away and the bike shop has pushed out many of the Shimano's without any complaints....i'm putting it down to isolated events /exceptions and not the rule.

I'll check the 4iii threads too, thanks for the heads up!
Pioneer: you only need the Pioneer head unit for the updates.

So you see either Pioneer or DA are your best options.

I am personally for my DA powermeters (should arrive in Canada in June....)

ms6073

by ms6073

I am using the K-Edge Pro braze-on with SRM magnet on a BB86 frame with no issues, although the Shimano 'guide' was somewhat misleading in where to position the magnet.
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

ms6073 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:44 am
I am using the K-Edge Pro braze-on with SRM magnet on a BB86 frmae with no issues, although the Shimano 'guide' was somewhat misleading in where to position the magnet.
What do you mean by "misleading"?

chrispana

by chrispana

nemeseri wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:52 am
chrispana wrote:
The pioneer seems good, but i'm never going to use the Pioneer computer so that's not an attractive option when I can have a factory backed PM at a good price (im in Aus)....
You only need the pioneer headunit to update the firmware on the PM. I've been using my pioneer PM with garmin 520 for almost a year now.
Thats cool, i should have been a lot clearer, im not going to be using the Pioneer head unit for the extra metrics, im using a Wahoo Bolt so im sorted on that front 😉

chrispana

by chrispana

ms6073 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:44 am
I am using the K-Edge Pro braze-on with SRM magnet on a BB86 frmae with no issues, although the Shimano 'guide' was somewhat misleading in where to position the magnet.
Thats good to know, im going to do the same also, if i can avoid sticking anything to my frame i will!

chrispana

by chrispana

TonyM wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:55 am
chrispana wrote:
TonyM wrote:
chrispana wrote:Has anyone had any luck addressing any of the balance and overall power data from the Shimano 9100p power meter recently through firmware or other updates? I'm currently looking at this or the 4iii podium power and so far it's looking like 4iii all the way, being my first PM, I want a good experience and not one plagued with these kinds of issues from day one

I've heard the Power 2 max is rock solid but it's a pain to setup with Shimano (need rotor crank arms etc.) L/R balance is an estimation / algorithm that's calculated based on assumptions as you ride and a heavier alternative, so this isn't the path i'm keen on. The pioneer seems good, but i'm never going to use the Pioneer computer so that's not an attractive option when I can have a factory backed PM at a good price (im in Aus)....i'm leaning now toward the Shimano, supply for 4iii is 2 months away and the bike shop has pushed out many of the Shimano's without any complaints....i'm putting it down to isolated events /exceptions and not the rule.

Thats what i was narrowing things down to so ive decided to pull the trigger on the DA PM, cant wait to get my bike back, currently in the bike shop getting a fair bit added and finally ill have power!

Hamfist

by Hamfist

chrispana wrote:
TonyM wrote:

I have the P2M NGeco 4 bolt and it's really a great setup. I otherwise run 9150, but 9000 rings on the Rotor 3d24 crank. Total weight is a bit higher (not really all that much) and something that should not be a deal killer *especially* given how well it works (coming from Stages). I used my existing Wheels Mfg PF30 bb just as it was with the previous 9000 crank. My chainrings bolted right up and only needed minor adjusting to the front derailleur. Overall I think it's a great option.

ms6073

by ms6073

TonyM wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:47 am
What do you mean by "misleading"?
Referencing the image below from DCR's review, the plastic magnet positioning tool had me realigning the K-Edge several times in an attempt to get the face of the magnet behind the flat edge of the positioning tool before I realized there was probably has +/- 5mm tolerance to prevent the K-Edge magnet from contacting the crank arm/spider.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tomee

by tomee

TonyM wrote:

im currently using the Pioneer's in dual ANT+ mode
do you actually need the magnets on the frame anymore?
i know the magnets are needed if you run the Pioneer in their private Ant+ mode

chrispana

by chrispana

tomee wrote:
TonyM wrote:

im currently using the Pioneer's in dual ANT+ mode
do you actually need the magnets on the frame anymore?
i know the magnets are needed if you run the Pioneer in their private Ant+ mode
I believe the magnets for Pioneer are absolutely necessary to calculate 'accurate' cadence readings (not sure if it has a bearing on power data) in the same way the Dura Ace PM needs it, i'm using the K-Edge Chain catcher with SRM magnet and it's working a charm on my DA power meter ;). Check this thread for more info to your question as it's Pioneer specific: viewtopic.php?t=146021

r3m

by r3m

The K-EDGE catcher with magnet is "DIY" or you can buy it directly?
Is not hard to adjust? 23€ the k-edge without magnet and 59€ with .... The magnet is expensive...

KorMalkor

by KorMalkor

Has anyone had power spike issues or inaccurate readings from their R9100-P ? As it would seem illogical that my best 20 min power would jump by 26 watts in just a matter of a week. I calibrate my PM before every ride so now I'm stuck at trying to figure out what is the problem.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I have not had any power spikes on mine.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I just received mine from competitive cyclist and can't wait to install and try it! I weighed the crankset on the kitchen scale and it's 684g (170mm / compact) on the dot. Magnet and magnet cover adds an extra 4g.
Last edited by nemeseri on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com