Shimano R9100-P Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

KorMalkor wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:24 pm
TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:49 pm
KorMalkor wrote:So update to my latest issues with the R9100-P, it has completely died on me after less than 6 months of use. Currently on holiday in Europe cycling without any power or cadence data. I will have to send back for warranty once I am back in Malaysia. Does not reflect well on the Shimano Power Meter.

How many hours approximately did you use it?
I don't have the hours spent however it sums up to about 6000 km since I first had it installed on my bike back in early January.
So roughly 200 hours (6000km at 30 kmh average). Since the battery should last for 350 hours I suppose you are still on the 1st charge.
Can you see how much charge you still have? I mean is the LED green or red or does it not light when you press the button on the control unit?

Have you done a full reset (by pressing the button on the control unit for 15 seconds)?

KorMalkor

by KorMalkor

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:34 am
KorMalkor wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:24 pm
TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:49 pm
KorMalkor wrote:So update to my latest issues with the R9100-P, it has completely died on me after less than 6 months of use. Currently on holiday in Europe cycling without any power or cadence data. I will have to send back for warranty once I am back in Malaysia. Does not reflect well on the Shimano Power Meter.

How many hours approximately did you use it?
I don't have the hours spent however it sums up to about 6000 km since I first had it installed on my bike back in early January.
So roughly 200 hours (6000km at 30 kmh average). Since the battery should last for 350 hours I suppose you are still on the 1st charge.
Can you see how much charge you still have? I mean is the LED green or red or does it not light when you press the button on the control unit?

Have you done a full reset (by pressing the button on the control unit for 15 seconds)?
I charged the unit a week before flying off to Europe which earlier this month. There is no light what so ever coming from the unit, no green, no red no blue. I have also tried to reset the unit however nothing. I am quite certain the unit is damaged as it was giving me wonky power reading for a few weeks before it died.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

It really looks like you have to replace it indeed. Shimano is usually very good with warranty claims I read everywhere.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Except for broken rivets in cassettes, frayed cables in shifters and Ultegra cranksets...

TonyM

by TonyM

AndreLM wrote:Except for broken rivets in cassettes, frayed cables in shifters and Ultegra cranksets...
Cassette/ cables:
Campagnolo or Sram better? (Just asking. I don’t know)

Concerning the Ultegra crankset it seems (see the other thread in WW) that it is a faulty batch and that Shimano replaces all of the faulty cranksets whenever there is a warranty claim.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Personally I have never had any failure with Campy, SRAM or Shimano. I have seen more failures with Shimano (other local riders and Internet), but most likely due to market share.

I confess being sarcastic above, but even if they honored warranty cases for the Ultegra cranks, I still think they did not handle the DA cassette and shifter issues properly.

TonyM

by TonyM

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

KorMalkor

by KorMalkor

AndreLM wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm
Except for broken rivets in cassettes, frayed cables in shifters and Ultegra cranksets...
I was using Ultegra 6800 previously had 2 cranks replaced by Shimano under warranty.

petal666

by petal666

AndreLM wrote:
Except for broken rivets in cassettes
IU've never had an issue getting Dura-ace cassettes replaced. It was quite good actually, I didn't have to buy a cassette for a long time.

TonyM

by TonyM

petal666 wrote:
AndreLM wrote:
Except for broken rivets in cassettes
IU've never had an issue getting Dura-ace cassettes replaced. It was quite good actually, I didn't have to buy a cassette for a long time.

That’s a good strategy ...LOL....Dura Ace is then really a bargain ....LOL

grantrstubbs

by grantrstubbs

Hi - earleir in this thread, and in DC Rainmaker review, I read about a firmware update to enable the DA powermeter to broadcast power data via Bluetooth, rather than ANT+, deos anyone have an update on this?

I like to use my PM to control my smart trainer and needign an ANT dongle means I need computer etc ratehr than just a phone. My other bike has a quarq and it is much simpler!

Appreciate any info, thanks

KorMalkor

by KorMalkor

grantrstubbs wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 am
Hi - earleir in this thread, and in DC Rainmaker review, I read about a firmware update to enable the DA powermeter to broadcast power data via Bluetooth, rather than ANT+, deos anyone have an update on this?

I like to use my PM to control my smart trainer and needign an ANT dongle means I need computer etc ratehr than just a phone. My other bike has a quarq and it is much simpler!

Appreciate any info, thanks
At the moment it looks like the Shimano Power Meter will only transmit data via Ant+, had numerous firmware updates without getting the function to broadcast via bluetooth. It appears that bluetooth for now is mainly used to transmit firmware update.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I just swaped out my Pioneer PM for the Shimano PM and I did a few tests regarding the L/R measurements.
According to the Pioneer PM, I have a pretty pronounced imballance, it's somewhere between 48/52 to 44/56 depending on the intensity and fatigue so I thought I'm a good subject to compare the two PMs.

And... drum roll... The L/R readings from the Shimano PM lined up perfectly with the previous data from the Pioneer PM. Same bike, same intensity intervals, same routes, same bike fit. More testing and comparing will be done in the upcoming months and if I find something interesting I will post it here.
Based on my testing, I'd say the L/R readings from the Shimano PM is fine. Not that I'd care about this data really.

ms6073

by ms6073

nemeseri wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 pm
pretty pronounced imballance, it's somewhere between 48/52 to 44/56 depending on the intensity and fatigue...
That really seems more likely to be the result of a dominant hemisphere in the brain (left brain vs right brain) than a problematic imbalance.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

nemeseri

by nemeseri

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:03 pm
nemeseri wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 pm
pretty pronounced imballance, it's somewhere between 48/52 to 44/56 depending on the intensity and fatigue...
That really seems more likely to be the result of a dominant hemisphere in the brain (left brain vs right brain) than a problematic imbalance.
I've never thought about it as a problem to be honest. I think it's pretty normal to have a dominant side. I'm right handed but my left leg is better in soccer. But in drumming I use a standard right dominant setup. If my right leg is stronger in cycling I won't lose sleep over this. But I think I'm a good subject to validate the L/R measurements of different power meters.

(BTW I also have a friend who is left handed, but plays guitar right handed. I think nobody should stress about imbalances. It's perfectly natural.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com