Why no love for direct mount rim brake?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Akamp

by Akamp

And they are all just a sad recreation of the best rim brake ever made.

The WTB Lever Link.

Direct Mount, Anti Splay, Variable Power Modulation and 25 years old. The EE Brake is a blatent copy, although a little lighter I am sure.
Attachments
LeverLink.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Akamp wrote:And they are all just a sad recreation of the best rim brake ever made.

The WTB Lever Link.

Direct Mount, Anti Splay, Variable Power Modulation and 25 years old. The EE Brake is a blatent copy, although a little lighter I am sure.
Thanks for sharing this, I did have a very blurry memory of this brake... but I was 12 yo at the time... any more details?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Akamp

by Akamp

Just Charlie Cunningham tinkering. The arms were the same as all WTB rollercams with a different linkage. Unfortunately these were out in the early nineties when V-Brakes were first hitting the scenes. V-Brakes were an improvement over regular cantilevers and cost 40 bucks. These were a huge improvement and cost 300. This was also around the time that WTB was starting to have problems with their partnership unfortunately and getting pushed into lower priced products. After Steve Potts and Charlie Cunningham were pushed out pretty much all of the cool stuff disapeared. Very unfortunate.

I do know that I will be putting direct mount brakes on my new road bike that I am having Steve build me though.