Simple, safe and tough components that save weight.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

I tried searching, but couldn't come up with much.

I'm thinking of things that are reliable and tough, not made from cheese that can upgrade and just take 5g plus from a bike each time and then cumulatively take a few hundred grams from a bike for not an obscene amount of money.

Obviously it's easy to say upgrade to Dura-Ace or SRAM red, but it's kind fun when you only want to spend a few hundred dollars a month to just slowly upgrade a bit, especially components you can easily re-use.

A few of my ideas are:
-Token TK161 CNC Seat Clamp saving 7.5-10g.
-Extralite Aliens4 skewers saving approx 60g.
-Cannondale Evo SI Expander Wedge saving approx 20g.

sungod
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: it's raining, it must be uk

by sungod

saddle
powercordz+nokon/similar

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

sungod wrote:saddle
powercordz+nokon/similar

I was thinking regular steel cables but a lightweight housing, maybe Jagwire Road Elite, sell me on Nokon if they're better....
Saddles, got a Fizik Antares R5 at 195g, which sort of matches my durability/price/comfort criteria.

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 6789
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

Saddle, stem, skewers, screws-bolts, headset cap...

Hexsense
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

Clincher?
Vredestein Latex tube weight about 50g vs regular 110g butyl tube.
60g saved at about 20$ per wheel.

It is also roll faster and more durable than ultra light Butyl tube.

jobvisser
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:24 am

by jobvisser

got myself a second hand sram red group for €200 (without cables) that was great.
can you post your parts right now ? or a picture of your bike.

Mep
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 4:11 pm

by Mep

There's a ton of things that you can lose weight on for not a lot of money, don't know why you would struggle to come up with a list. Agreed that a current list of parts would probably be helpful in order for us to help you.

Biggest bang for buck items that come to mind are latex tubes, expander and top cap, cages, bar tape, pedals, seatpost, stem, handlebar.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

IMG_0230.JPG

Frame: Fuji SL 3.3 with Praxis Conversion PF30 to gxp
Crank: SRAM Force 22 compact
RD: Ultrega med cage
FD: 105 5800 braze on
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-32
Seatpost: Cirrus pro carbon
Saddle: Fizik Antares R5
Expander: Cannondale Evo SI Expander Wedge
Headset spacers: unbranded carbon
Stem: Pro Vibe alloy with Ti bolts
Bar: Pro Vibe alloy
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Bar Tape: Specialized Cork
Garmin mount: unbranded light plastic
Headset: FSA
Cables: Jagwire LEX-SL
Bottle cages: OGK carbon
Skewers: Taiwanese Ti 60g
Brakes: 105 5800
Chain: SRAM 1170
Pedals: Shimano 105
Seatpost clamp: OEM with ti bolt 19g
Wheels: Oval Concepts 327, 20/24H 1900g pair (will be switched to probably DT Swiss Dicut RR 21 (1410g) by end April 2017.
Tires: front GP4000S2 folding 28mm. Rear Gatorskin folding 28mm. (I know Gatorskin is heavy but local roads are covered in debris. May switch to 25mm tires when current ones wear out also may switch rear to 4 Season).
Tubes: Butyl 100g

Current bike weight 8.2kg incl pedals

jobvisser
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:24 am

by jobvisser

Lewn777 wrote:
IMG_0230.JPG

Frame: Fuji SL 3.3 with Praxis Conversion PF30 to gxp
Crank: SRAM Force 22 compact
RD: Ultrega med cage
FD: 105 5800 braze on
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-32
Seatpost: Cirrus pro carbon
Saddle: Fizik Antares R5
Expander: Cannondale Evo SI Expander Wedge
Headset spacers: unbranded carbon
Stem: Pro Vibe alloy with Ti bolts
Bar: Pro Vibe alloy
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Bar Tape: Specialized Cork
Garmin mount: unbranded light plastic
Headset: FSA
Cables: Jagwire LEX-SL
Bottle cages: OGK carbon
Skewers: Taiwanese Ti 60g
Brakes: 105 5800
Chain: SRAM 1170
Pedals: Shimano 105
Seatpost clamp: OEM with ti bolt 19g
Wheels: Oval Concepts 327, 20/24H 1900g pair (will be switched to probably DT Swiss Dicut RR 21 (1410g) by end April 2017.
Tires: front GP4000S2 folding 28mm. Rear Gatorskin folding 28mm. (I know Gatorskin is heavy but local roads are covered in debris. May switch to 25mm tires when current ones wear out also may switch rear to 4 Season).
Tubes: Butyl 100g

Current bike weight 8.2kg incl pedals

things you canchange
1. turn your front skewer... the lever thing should be on the non drive side!
2. maybe some different pedals, i use time xpresso2 which cost $30 for a pair with cleats.they are almost 90 grams lighter than your 105 pedals and i like them more than my old shimanos
3. sram shifters and rear derailleur (can keep your front, front will save about 10 more ) will save about 300 and i like the shape of the sram hoods better. can bought easily on ebay for around $150
4 brakes, your 105 brakes are really heavy(390 ). could try to get the old sram red/force(old force are the same) brakes for about $50 that will save another 110

Mep
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 4:11 pm

by Mep

Glad that you're looking to change the wheels and tires. Biggest gains to be made there. Sram drive train will be lighter overall. Kalloy stem and carbon bars.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

jobvisser wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:IMG_0230.JPG
Frame: Fuji SL 3.3 with Praxis Conversion PF30 to gxp
Crank: SRAM Force 22 compact
RD: Ultrega med cage
FD: 105 5800 braze on
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-32
Seatpost: Cirrus pro carbon
Saddle: Fizik Antares R5
Expander: Cannondale Evo SI Expander Wedge
Headset spacers: unbranded carbon
Stem: Pro Vibe alloy with Ti bolts
Bar: Pro Vibe alloy
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Bar Tape: Specialized Cork
Garmin mount: unbranded light plastic
Headset: FSA
Cables: Jagwire LEX-SL
Bottle cages: OGK carbon
Skewers: Taiwanese Ti 60g
Brakes: 105 5800
Chain: SRAM 1170
Pedals: Shimano 105
Seatpost clamp: OEM with ti bolt 19g
Wheels: Oval Concepts 327, 20/24H 1900g pair (will be switched to probably DT Swiss Dicut RR 21 (1410g) by end April 2017.
Tires: front GP4000S2 folding 28mm. Rear Gatorskin folding 28mm. (I know Gatorskin is heavy but local roads are covered in debris. May switch to 25mm tires when current ones wear out also may switch rear to 4 Season).
Tubes: Butyl 100g

Current bike weight 8.2kg incl pedals

things you canchange
1. turn your front skewer... the lever thing should be on the non drive side!
2. maybe some different pedals, i use time xpresso2 which cost $30 for a pair with cleats.they are almost 90 grams lighter than your 105 pedals and i like them more than my old shimanos
3. sram shifters and rear derailleur (can keep your front, front will save about 10 more ) will save about 300 and i like the shape of the sram hoods better. can bought easily on ebay for around $150
4 brakes, your 105 brakes are really heavy(390 ). could try to get the old sram red/force(old force are the same) brakes for about $50 that will save another 110


1. Never realized there was a difference which side the lever was supposed to be with the front! OCD thing or a safety thing? Been riding MTB thru-axles for years so never really thought about it.
2. With mixed reviews on so many pedals I'll likely save up for bombproof Dura-ace, also Shimano cleats are so easy to find here.
3. Worth thinking about, been an SRAM fan for ages, might change the rest of the groupset to Force or old red. But wheels and power meter are a priority for finances at the moment.

jbentley
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:38 pm

by jbentley

I've just changed from Elite Jossanova to the new Elite Fly bottles. This saves 105g when using 2 of them and they only cost £5.99 each :D

jobvisser
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:24 am

by jobvisser

Lewn777 wrote:
jobvisser wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:IMG_0230.JPG

1. Never realized there was a difference which side the lever was supposed to be with the front! OCD thing or a safety thing? Been riding MTB thru-axles for years so never really thought about it.
2. With mixed reviews on so many pedals I'll likely save up for bombproof Dura-ace, also Shimano cleats are so easy to find here.
3. Worth thinking about, been an SRAM fan for ages, might change the rest of the groupset to Force or old red. But wheels and power meter are a priority for finances at the moment.

1. nothing to do with safety. you looks better and then it is the same as the rear one.and it's kind of a unwritten rule so you better change :lol: it
3. i have the old red aswell... had the 2013 force group before but this was lighter

i found my wheels on a dutch version of ebay/craigslist. tune hubs with sapim aero spokes and kinlin rim. 1300g for a clincher set. paid 250 including new tires and quickreleases (didn't use these) . you can also try to find a used bike with sram red for a good price and sell it again. i bought a giant tcr with sram red for $450 used the sram red and put my old ultegra group on the giant and sold it for $500.
you can upgrade your bike for barely any money
i would buy a set of old sram red or force brakes just because they are about $40 second hand and look real sexy and are 100 grams lighter than what you have now

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

jbentley wrote:I've just changed from Elite Jossanova to the new Elite Fly bottles. This saves 105g when using 2 of them and they only cost £5.99 each :D

That's about the cheapest weight saving per gram ever. :D

User avatar
4ibanez
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:54 pm
Location: Norwich, UK
Contact:

by 4ibanez

Rim tape off, veloplugs on. A bag of about 70 or so costs about £5. Should save 30g

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post