Supersix Evo to Synapse - thoughts ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I know this is weight weenies but I have been kicking around selling the Evo 2013 Red Race Edition actually all upgraded. The only thing that is stock are the cranks SISL2's and the brake levers everything else is changed and have it down to 13.5lbs with Garmin 810. Getting older and wondering if anyone has changed over or is riding the Synapse and give me any real riding aspects of the bike. If I was to do this I would be looking at the Synapse Hi-mod team. Just looking for real on the bike experience between the two bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

FYI, two Cannondale riders at Paris-Roubaix where on a prototype Synapse to be released next year (likely late this year). Wait for that.

The current Synapse is pretty outdated. Apparently Cannondale's in house testing has the current SuperSix Hi-Mod (released last year) as more compliant than the current Synapse (years old). I haven't seen the data myself, just what I was told, so take it for what it's worth.

Current Synapse also doesn't have fender mounts if that matters. Prototype one from P-R seems to have hidden ones in a similar vein to the Trek Domane from the photos I've seen.

I've been considering the all day comfort old man bike too. This new Synapse will probably be it.

lowside67

by lowside67

If in the budget, I would also consider a Trek Domane SLR. It's a premium price but by all accounts, a premium ride too.

Mark

willmac

by willmac

I've got a '14 synapse hi-mod and the new supersix hi-mod. Supersix is equally, if not more so, compliant. Only plus for the synapse is slightly more relaxed manners if that's your thing. I broke my back so wanted a taller head tube but managed to get most of my flexibility back so ride the supersix except for winter. You can fit 30's in either frame also so that's a wash.

Next seasons synapse looks good though. Less swoopy, lighter fork like the supersix, recessed seatpost mount like the superx and mud guard mounts if that's your thing as well as the mild aero shaping of the downtube.

Bottom line between the two really boils down to geometry and road feel. Neither lacks for tyre size or compliance. Ones just a bit taller and steadier, the other is a bit more agile and aggressive.

martinPL

by martinPL

I have both:
16 SS Evo Hi-Mod - love it. This bike rails
15 Synapse Hi-Mod - love it as well. I use it for gravel races, winter training, and training camps

Main diff is dampening\stiffness and geometry. Synapse is still quite stiff but it is forgiving on crappy terrain; it has a little float in it. Geometry is more up than down and low (of course you can tune that a bit with front setup). SS is just a rocket. Both are perfect bikes for what they are made. I would not want to trace gravel on SS (just a no) and would not want to race road on Synapse (just because there are so much better bikes to race road and SS is one of them). On Synapse I can fit 30mm tires. On SS I am on 25mm. SRAM on both and Rotor cranks with Q-Rings.

dak

by dak

willmac wrote:I've got a '14 synapse hi-mod and the new supersix hi-mod. Supersix is equally, if not more so, compliant. Only plus for the synapse is slightly more relaxed manners if that's your thing. I broke my back so wanted a taller head tube but managed to get most of my flexibility back so ride the supersix except for winter. You can fit 30's in either frame also so that's a wash.

Next seasons synapse looks good though. Less swoopy, lighter fork like the supersix, recessed seatpost mount like the superx and mud guard mounts if that's your thing as well as the mild aero shaping of the downtube.

Bottom line between the two really boils down to geometry and road feel. Neither lacks for tyre size or compliance. Ones just a bit taller and steadier, the other is a bit more agile and aggressive.

:exactly: :smartass: +1

I'll pitch in. Having ridden both a '14 Synapse (non-hi-mod) and currently on a 2016 Evo Hi-mod I can say the evo is just as compliant over most paved road conditions. No experience on dirt or gravel but based on handling, the Synapse would probably be better for those surfaces. For road though, I would say hands down the new Evo Hi-mod is amazing! I think if paved roads are your main riding and you can get comfortable with Evo geometry, that would be my vote. Otherwise the Synapse is still and awesome bike, just not as nible or light. Interested to see what they do with the Synapse re-design...
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I have the same bike as the OP and the one reason I would change would be clearance.
The 2013 Supersix can't take anything bigger than 25mm and some of these are super tight (Schwalbe One).
I'm excited about the new Synapse.
Does anyone have any photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowside67

by lowside67

If cannondale would put a direct mount rim brake on a hi mod version of the new frame I will sell my r3 and order one tomorrow. Fat chance of that happening though :/

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

My brother did what your thinking this year. He sold his Supersix Evo 15 and bought the 17 Synapse Ultegra disc. He loves it although he says its heavier then the evo. He is 55 and didn't want to be in race position. I would get the hi-mod myself and probably swap the stem, handlebar, seat and seatpost to carbon to drop weight.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rev

by Rev

I added a standard mod Synapse to my stable a few years back when the released the the new model with the split seat tube at the bottom bracket and BB30A. Having a Hi-Mod EVO as well, the Synapse just doesn't track as well, even though I've tried to replicate the position of my EVO on the Synapse with a longer -17 degree stem fully slammed.

The Synapse is comfy and all, but that could be down to the fact I can and do run 25mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on Hed Belgiums (which measure closer to 27mm) with a tonne of clearance, while theres barely any clearance on the EVO with that tire setup so i run 23's instead (which measure between 24 and 25mm).

Climbing or descending - give me the EVO any day. Even though my Synapse is set up with compact rings and the EVO full size - I still climb better on the EVO, and the EVO descends like its on rails. On flat roads, its probably a wash, although the EVO just feels like its more responsive when I get out of the saddle and give it some beans.

I have managed to ride the Synapse on some gravel roads and fire trails that I wouldn't dare throw the EVO at, so it is very fun in that regard, if I could only have one bike though, there's no question it would be the EVO (or even my CAAD10, which rides much like the EVO with the extra weight of the Synapse).

Until the new Synapse is properly unveiled, the current model EVO with clearance for 28mm tires makes the current model synapse kind of redundant