When racing, how important is comfort?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jih

by jih

Jhomewood wrote:
AJS914 wrote:Rolling resistance tests show that the bigger tire at the same pressure is faster. You just have to prioritize whether you want speed or comfort.

Yeah, no doubt. But if you care about speed so much as to run 5-10psi more you'd better be riding in a San Remo Speedsuit every day as well.

And in real-world results, this may not be the case. Drum tests tend to prefer higher pressures but on non-perfect roads with a human being onboard lower pressures may be faster. And it can be different from rider to rider.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Ok so lower pressure in the real world, new tires for most aero, wear a speedsuit all the time and HTFU.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm going with fitness. My level of comfort varies depending on how hard I go and how fit I am at the time. When I'm in peak shape, 100 miles of hard riding and I'm mostly fine. When I'm off form, I'll begin shifting around maybe as early as 30 miles into the ride if we're going balls to the wall (which is often exacerbated by riding in a very aggressive position).

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Surely, it's proportional. Longer races necessitate comfort, shorter races not so much. If you can stick it out for a few hours, it's comfortable enough. Better shorts and tuning your fit would be my recommendation, not changing bike. Hammer on. It only lasts as long as it lasts.

I say that having done a few 300k days on a CAAD10. I don't reckon there'd be a meaningful improvement using my Synapse or SuperSix, in terms of finishing time. If you aren't prepared to embrace a bit of discomfort, why race? The pain of properly trying should dwarf any bike concerns.

spartacus

by spartacus

I think a lot of people have their bars too low and their tire pressures too high, then their backs hurt after 50-60 miles and they act like they have no idea why. Also I'd wager most cyclists aren't stretching enough or properly.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

spartacus wrote:I think a lot of people have their bars too low and their tire pressures too high, then their backs hurt after 50-60 miles and they act like they have no idea why. Also I'd wager most cyclists aren't stretching enough or properly.

Yes, because many of us mimic Pro's. We get rid of spacers, slam that stem and mount deep wheels. Every time I ask "why"?!
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Aesthetics and vanity. It's why I slam my stem and have deep wheels :)

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

If you're not comfortable on the bike you will tire prematurely and not be as aggressive on it. In my opinion more important than grams or aero.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

jeffy

by jeffy

after you got a bike fit and felt everything was fine - what made you think you could go lower?

How much lower are you now?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I'm actually more comfortable with the current position which is a -17 stem slammed on the dustcap. The fitter had me on a 100mm -7.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Correct me if I'm wrong but riding with flat back is modern evolution in pro peloton.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

RyanH

by RyanH

Out of curiosity, what race are you doing that's 100+ miles?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

jih

by jih

Do you ever ride in the drops?

I'd say: set up the bike so you can use the hoods and the drops. Then, use the drops for shorter rides. And the hoods for longer ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I do use the drops on occasion (sprint on flat or uphill and descending). My FTP is low compared to others in my category and while I'm working on improving that, the quick fix for me has been aerodynamics and efficiency.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg