What is the most radical frame to date?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

1. Lotus, all versions.
2. Zipp 2001: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipp_2001
3. Anything in the "Freaks" section.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenBastionCycles

by BenBastionCycles

Wookski wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 am
wheelsONfire wrote:Wow, what a blow for Bastion!
How did that clear in the end?
Apparently they're claiming it was the tube manufacturers fault and distancing themselves from any issues.
I am sorry to only find this thread now, but that is absolutely false. That incident in August 2017 on Bike 003 was the worst day in our history. Yes we did have a bonding failure, but we never claimed it was the tubing supplier’s responsibility. We bought the bike and anything else that was damaged back from the customer. Including a very expensive set of Lightweight Wheels. We recalled 15 other bikes that had the potential to “maybe” have the same issue. Some even from the USA and Asia. We then compeletely rebuilt them to our newer and much better process. All at 100% our cost. If you do actually lnow the customer (initials AG) you can ask him. I know him and he is an amazing guy and would not want false rumours like this spreading.

BenBastionCycles

by BenBastionCycles

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 pm
So basically no repair, no new frame or no reimbursement?
Why would anyone want to buy a Bastion if they don't even offer warranty.
That's like paying premium deluxe price for a experimental project.
Sorry, but this is complete misinformation. Our customers enjoy a lifetime repair warranty including shipping from anywhere in the world at our cost. In the case being discussed we bought back the frame and any damaged components, including some VERY expensive parts. We also recalled 15 other bikes that “possibly” had the same issue and completely rebuilt them all at our cost. Including some from the USA and Asia.

Please do not believe everything you read. We welcome anyone to ask us directly. We pride ourselves on our honesty and integrity.

BenBastionCycles

by BenBastionCycles

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:43 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:So basically no repair, no new frame or no reimbursement?
Why would anyone want to buy a Bastion if they don't even offer warranty.
That's like paying premium deluxe price for a experimental project.
You and I read that differently. I didn't see where they said Bastion isn't fixing or replacing the bike. I got the impression they are and stated that the reason the frame broke was the tube failed (supplier's work/fault), rather than the joint or lug failing (Bastion's work/fault).

I worked for a frame company that had some carbon/Ti tubes come unbonded because the company making the tubes didn't properly prep them before glueing. The frames were warrantied and fixed (and the tubing operation was brought in house to have better control over it) but we knew whose fault it was and may have told that to customers.
I want to clear this up as the rumours are very frustrating and upsetting for us. We accepted fault. And we honoured our lifetime warranty. The customer was compensated for everything that was damaged. Other bikes that “might” have been affected were recalled and rebuilt.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

C36 wrote:The most radicals are likely not the actual ones. 2 come to my mind:
- look kg296 clm ti: won tour prologue, banned the next day. If I remember properly it was a ti frame with a carbon exterior.
- second one I never manage to find a picture. It was the Pinarello from 96 I think. The crankset was covered by the frame. It got banned before the prologue, std versions finally used.
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
The Look KG296 CLM was all titanium, made in the Basque Country by a bunch of ex-Rolls Royce chaps that made a company called TMT by welding flat sheets together. No carbon in sight there.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

C36

by C36

XCProMD wrote:
C36 wrote:The most radicals are likely not the actual ones. 2 come to my mind:
- look kg296 clm ti: won tour prologue, banned the next day. If I remember properly it was a ti frame with a carbon exterior.
- second one I never manage to find a picture. It was the Pinarello from 96 I think. The crankset was covered by the frame. It got banned before the prologue, std versions finally used.
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG

The Look KG296 CLM was all titanium, made in the Basque Country by a bunch of ex-Rolls Royce chaps that made a company called TMT by welding flat sheets together. No carbon in sight there.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Indeed, since then found pictures from the bike owner. Image

natiedean24

by natiedean24

The 90’s saw some amazing ideas. I so wish we could go back to that type of innovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

BenBastionCycles wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:51 am
I am sorry to only find this thread now, but that is absolutely false. That incident in August 2017 on Bike 003 was the worst day in our history. Yes we did have a bonding failure, but we never claimed it was the tubing supplier’s responsibility. We bought the bike and anything else that was damaged back from the customer. Including a very expensive set of Lightweight Wheels. We recalled 15 other bikes that had the potential to “maybe” have the same issue. Some even from the USA and Asia. We then compeletely rebuilt them to our newer and much better process. All at 100% our cost. If you do actually lnow the customer (initials AG) you can ask him. I know him and he is an amazing guy and would not want false rumours like this spreading.
Wow, that's no less impressive than Bastion's awesome lugs. Hats off.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

natiedean24 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:48 pm
The 90’s saw some amazing ideas. I so wish we could go back to that type of innovation.
Me too. I propose we introduce the UCI to the guillotine.

I was a big fan of the Zipp 2001, and wish bikes were being made like that today. I reckon rider suspension has to make the bike faster, and seat tubes are yesterday.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

^Seriously. Manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale) are currently stumbling over themselves trying to get seat tubes to flex more when the solution is to eliminate them. Since the road bike scene has diverged so much from "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" to high handlebars, wide tires, and disc brakes being ridden by retirees to coffee shops I'm surprised frame makers have stuck to the diamond frame mandated for racing. Screw the UCI and make the best bike for your customers. I want super aero and light (Diamond Back made an effort) and most people want super comfortable with great brakes.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Lelandjt wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 am
I want super aero and light (Diamond Back made an effort).....
never heard of it, but found that:
https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/competition
really? :o

i use to keep things simple: i want a good fitting- and good looking bike, (with a really good saddle!), of course i enjoy it being light, the rest is completely irrelevant.

chunky666

by chunky666

reedplayer wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:37 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 am
I want super aero and light (Diamond Back made an effort).....
never heard of it, but found that:
https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/competition
really? :o

i use to keep things simple: i want a good fitting- and good looking bike, (with a really good saddle!), of course i enjoy it being light, the rest is completely irrelevant.
I assume he means this one .... http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/d ... e-launched

plus the Andeen for a Tri bike

natiedean24

by natiedean24

I was very excited about the Diamondback IO - not just for the specifics but in general, a company willing to make a road bike that chucked the UCI rules. Now I get word that model has been cancelled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

natiedean24 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:13 pm
Now I get word that model has been cancelled Image
Did you buy one? Maybe no-one did.

wingguy

by wingguy

I don't really understand why Accell released these bikes under the Diamondback brand. In a lot of ways it seems like it's harder to rehab the image of a failed name than it is to build a new one from scratch - especially when even in that brand's hayday it was most associated with a totally different sector of riding. Would the Andean and Io find it easier to break into the marketplace if they were being marketed by a completely new, aero and Tri focused badge? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com