What is the most radical frame to date?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

euan

by euan

Liggero wrote:It's a brittish guy, he worked afterwards for giant and made really awesome things for the giant road bikes that changed the future of the road race pro tour bikes, like the compact frame, etc.

Mike Burrows.

Obree's bike also used the sheet metal from the washing machine to profile the seat tube. And claimed Cannondale stole the idea for BB30 from his bottom bracket design.

C36

by C36

Liggero wrote: Can't remember now the name of the designer of this bike, if you could please put it would be nice. It's a brittish guy, he worked afterwards for giant and made really awesome things for the giant road bikes that changed the future of the road race pro tour bikes, like the compact frame, etc.

That was Mike Burrow who indeed later worked with Giant. his theory was that the seatpost tube junction was causing turbulence he the. lowered it via the compact design.
IMG_1819.JPG
]
Side story the initial giant bikes with the ONCE were a total disaster, the aero fork was the absolute flexiest fork available back then and the aero bikes lacked stiffness.
On the Track version of the lotus (108) is the one you were talking about.
IMG_1820.JPG

An original feature. The 2 wheels were not aligned the rear being few mm off (I have 4-6 in mind) but can't remember why (chain alignment?)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Liggero wrote:The best version of the LOTUS had the cog on the outside, so the chainstay was between the wheel and the cog. Could be the one on your 3rd photo, but can't see the drive side. This bike could have been improved even more if they woul dhave switched the side of the drive train to the left, to the interior of the velodrome lap, like the latest Felt track bike. Can't remember now the name of the designer of this bike, if you could please put it would be nice. It's a brittish guy, he worked afterwards for giant and made really awesome things for the giant road bikes that changed the future of the road race pro tour bikes, like the compact frame, etc.
Mike Burrows.

Wookski

by Wookski

wheelsONfire wrote:They all look horrible. Bastion looks ok, but i am not sure if i really see the benfit of this method.
I have a bike with carbon /boron top and down tube. Rest is titanium.

I know someone who purchased a production Bastion- within a couple of months they suffered a catastrophic failure (downtube debonded from ti lug). Apparently it hurt!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Wow, what a blow for Bastion!
How did that clear in the end?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

baldy

by baldy

I always miss my C4 Joker. Bulbous tubes, no seat tube. Wish I hadn't sold it.

C36

by C36

baldy wrote:I always miss my C4 Joker. Bulbous tubes, no seat tube. Wish I hadn't sold it.

Joker was fun, Going for C4 I would remember the 47-61, a 98 evolution of a frame that already exist in the early90s. One of the few "innovative" handlebars really saw
Always like the concept to have the lower part of the bar directly linked with the fork.
Mercer saw those wheels, the magazine I have had the exact same bike (pluma included) but with spinergys.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Berryrice

by Berryrice

Since the big UCI frame and weight rules in the late nineties...truly radical bike design for racing stopped. I always looked forward to all the cool and ding dong designs premiering at the TDF prologue every year in the late eighties-ninties. Whole intent was not have recumbents with fairings in pro racing and to give 3rd world developing countries a chance internationally with a sprinkle of rider safety somewhere in there. I think it has back fired as frame innovation and design hasn't really been all that great the past two decades. UCI wanted to enforce the rules on Tri bikes too.
Attachments
Lemond  V2 boomerang. TDF around 94-95
Lemond V2 boomerang. TDF around 94-95

stockae92

by stockae92

I like the Trek Foil

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

For the title of "currently available, most radical aero road bike" I think the Madone has the title, what with the flappy door front brake arrangement and fully hidden cables.

Wookski

by Wookski

wheelsONfire wrote:Wow, what a blow for Bastion!
How did that clear in the end?

Apparently they're claiming it was the tube manufacturers fault and distancing themselves from any issues.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

So basically no repair, no new frame or no reimbursement?
Why would anyone want to buy a Bastion if they don't even offer warranty.
That's like paying premium deluxe price for a experimental project.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

wheelsONfire wrote:So basically no repair, no new frame or no reimbursement?
Why would anyone want to buy a Bastion if they don't even offer warranty.
That's like paying premium deluxe price for a experimental project.

You and I read that differently. I didn't see where they said Bastion isn't fixing or replacing the bike. I got the impression they are and stated that the reason the frame broke was the tube failed (supplier's work/fault), rather than the joint or lug failing (Bastion's work/fault).

I worked for a frame company that had some carbon/Ti tubes come unbonded because the company making the tubes didn't properly prep them before glueing. The frames were warrantied and fixed (and the tubing operation was brought in house to have better control over it) but we knew whose fault it was and may have told that to customers.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Aha, my mistake....
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com