Need help with Di2 adjustment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have a healthy 9070 Di2 groupset on my C59. All firmware updates have been downloaded. I am running a 11-28 rear cassette and a 52/36 front chainset.

When the chain is on the smallest rear sprocket (11th) and the largest front chainring (52) I am unable to move the chain from the 11th to the 10th gear. I tap the upshift button but the rear derailor and chain do not move. If I tap the upshift button again (second time) the chain will move up two gears (from 11th to the 9th gear). I can go down OK but can not go up from the 11th to the 10th rear sprocket. All other shifting is great.

A little advice would be welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2rismo

by 2rismo

Shift the rear derailleur to the 5th sprocket position. Press the button at the junction (A) of the SM-EW67-A-E until the red LED illuminates in order to switch to rear derailleur adjustment mode. Note that if you keep pressing the button after the red LED has illuminated, protection recovery operation will begin.

If shifting switch is pressed once while the initial setting condition is active, the guide pulley will move one step toward the inside. If shifting switch (Y) is pressed once, the guide pulley will move one step toward the outside.

Note: The guide pulley can move 15 steps inward and 15 steps outward from the initial position, for a total of 31 positions.

Note: When adjusting, the guide pulley will overrun slightly and then move back in an exaggerated movement so that you can check the adjustment direction.

When checking the positions of the guide pulley and the sprocket, check at the position where the guide pulley finally stops.

While turning the front chainwheel, operate shifting switch to move the guide pulley toward the inside until the chain touches the 4th sprocket and makes a slight noise.

Next, operate shifting switch 4 times to move the guide pulley toward the outside by 4 steps to the target position.

Press the button at junction (A) until the red LED turns off in order to switch from rear derailleur adjustment mode to gear shifting mode. Shift to each gear and check that no noise is generated at any gear position. If fine adjustment is needed, switch back to adjustment mode and readjust the rear derailleur.

Note: if you have customized your shifters and swapped buttons, this will change which shifter and buttons control the micro-adjustments. Also, if you hit the wrong buttons while trying to set the FD trim, you can actually alter the setup of your RD. Be certain that you’re hitting the correct adjustment buttons.

If you have a Garmin or similar head unit and a SM-EWW01 ANT module, the display will automatically switch into derailleur trim display when you activate that mode (i.e. by pressing the button at the junction (A) of the SM-EW67-A-E.) It will give you the trim position in either + or – 12 positions. When switching wheels, simply take note which position suits which wheel/sprocket/trainer, and trim to that level each time you change. This removes the guesswork and makes changing from wheel to trainer simple.

androidavies

by androidavies

It might be worth backing off the high gear stop screw a half turn, this'll allow the overshift when shifting into the smallest cog. Whilst I haven't had it happen in the smallest cog, I've come across the rear mech jamming against the stop screw when in the biggest sprocket, it then needed two taps on the lever to shift out of it.
A half turn sorted that issue, so maybe it'll sort out your top gear too! Hope so.....

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I tried both the above suggestions but no change. The derailor will only go from the 11 sprocket to the 9th....after two clicks of the shifter. My cage is not bent....my cassette and chain are near new. Any other suggestions??

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Check that Rd hanger screws are tight and loctite in place, then using a proper tool verify hanger alignment. Eyeballing alignment without a tool doesn't count.

androidavies

by androidavies

If you can find a "friend' with another Di2 bike, try your rear mech wire plugged onto their rear mech, and their rear mech wire onto yours, obviously not both at the same time…. easier with two people and no back wheels installed.

Try the gear shift, then you can see if there's a problem with your rear mech, i.e. the fault is replicated with a different lever/wiring connected to your mech. And also see if your lever shifts the other rear mech properly, although that sounds the more unlikely problem.

If there is a fault with the rear mech, then I think you'd get one under warranty, 3 years for Dura Ace?

It doesn't sound like a hanger issue if the mech isn't physically moving when the lever switch is operated, but always worth checking that. Your 1st post suggests that there is no movement in the mech when trying from 11-10th cog, then a double distance shift when trying the next shift, correct?

2old4this

by 2old4this

I am almost sure it is an alignment problem. To verify, get the chain to the 11th cog, click once for shifting to 10th cog while spinning the pedals (you say this does not shift to 10th. Put the di2 to derailleur adjustment mode. While spinning the pedals, do one click at a time (4-5 clicks should be enough) to move the derailleur in small increments towards to 10th cog. If the chain shifts, you have something wrong with a) your initial di2 setup b) derailleur hanger alignment c) high limit screw d) a bent 10th cog (yep, I've seen it happen) e) all of the above ...
PS
Shimano doc says "4 clicks" to align the drailleur in the middle. I think it is more of a recommendation. I have 2 9070s, one is 5 clicks while the other is 6.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I fixed it! I first rechecked the rear derailor hanger with my professional Park Tools rear derailor hanger alignment tool. The alignment was spot on. Next, I replaced my Sram Red 1190 11/28 rear cassette with a Shimano Dura Ace 11/28 9000 cassette which then shifted perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I really appreciate all your help? But one last questiomn.....is it known that sram red 1190 cassettes do not shift well with dura ace 9070? The cassette has less than 500 miles total use. No broken teeth or evidence of wear.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Until recently, I had sram 1190 on one of the di2s. No problem there...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com