GXP Bottom Bracket with 24mm NDS Bearing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johng650

by johng650

Hi,

I bought a TruVativ Rouleur crank on eBay. It was touted as being removed from the new bike and appears brand new (never used). It came with a GXP bottom bracket. When I tried to put it on the bike, the spindle slid too far into the bottom bracket. After I removed the bottom bracket, I measured the spindle and the inside diameter of the bearings. The spindle has 24mm and 22mm faces on the DS/NDS sides. The bottom bracket inside diameter is 24mm on both the DS and NDS sides.

What's up with this? Is there a part missing that I don't know about? Is the bottom bracket mis-manufactured? Any help that you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Marin

by Marin

Does it say GXP on both BB cups?

GXP always has a 22mm NDS dia AFAIK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johng650

by johng650

I tried adding pics but something is going wrong.

Drive side has GXP on the seal, on the cup it says

"Torque to 25-30 Ft.Lbs
Drive Side BSA"

Non-drive side also has GXP on the seal and says

" Torque to 25-30 Ft.Lbs
Non-Drive Side BSA"

johng650

by johng650

Also NDS and DS bearing seals say "Truvativ Sealex"

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I may be able to help. I also have a TruVativ GXP crank from the old days ( 2004?).

The original BB cups were basically 24 mm both sides (just like Shimano), but the NDS bearing had a sleeve pressed in to bring it down to 22 mm.

So, you either have a Shimano NDS cup, or a GXP cup where someone has removed the sleeve. Which can be done because I did it in order to convert a Shimano cup to GXP.

You now need to buy a new GXP BB. When SRAM bought out TruVativ they changed the NDS bearing to eliminate the need for a sleeve. It's the closest Imperial equivalent to 22 mm.

Or you could buy these sleeve adapter things (with obvious mistake in the wording. it goes in the NDS bearing)

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

hambini

by hambini

Is that hope tech document correct? I'm sure the sleeve should be on the non drive side but the hope document says drive side.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

hambini wrote:Is that hope tech document correct? I'm sure the sleeve should be on the non drive side but the hope document says drive side.

No, title at top is correct but obviously the text is wrong. It's the NDS that needs to be sleeved down. In any case that product may not be available any more. Not on Hope's website that I can see.

One.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

They are, or at least were available from Chain Reaction about 6 months ago. :thumbup:

I've used one to squeeze the GPX SRM unit onto my MTB which has a Shimano Pressfit BB seems to work a treat. :smartass:

JerryZ

by JerryZ

Chris King Conversion Kit#9 is a similar shim kit that will work also.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

JerryZ wrote:Chris King Conversion Kit#9 is a similar shim kit that will work also.

I looked at that. Seemed to have a lot of unneeded bits for what we are talking about here. And for that money OP could buy a whole new BB.

One.

androidavies

by androidavies

In this Enduro BB bearing parts box http://soshanger.com/ENDURO-BEARING-BOX-Bottom-Brackets there are a number of GXP top hat things, which are supposed to take the 24mm bearing down to 22mm, like that Hope part.

Obviously you wouldn't be wanting to buy the box,(!), but maybe a local shop will have one, with those top hat bits lying unused…. I think it's quite a rare conversion to do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I do have a couple of reservations about using the flanged Hope spacers, in that they will shift the DS 2 mm to the right, and more worryingly will reduce the NDS spline engagement by 4 mm.

The original GXP had the NDS gripping directly on the bearing, and I'd prefer the solution that was used at the time, a plain sleeve for the conversion.

One.