Time VXRS question

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
JJN

by JJN

I recently bought a Time VXRS frameset with translink seat tube (integrated seat post). Unfortunately the previous owner was a bit smaller than me and therefor the translink has been cut too short. I was advised to cut the Translink until 2 cm above the seat/top tube lug and insert a normal seat post in order to obtain the right saddle height.
Question now is whether a slot in the top part of the seat tube is required. According to forum member Havana who owns a VXR with normal seat post no slot is available in the frame. Does anybody know what to do? Many thanks in advance.
Joost

mrgray

by mrgray

i am afraid i canno answer your question (though if no notch in another one then copy that i suppose).

however can you provide some feedback on the bike once you are up and running with it? i am very interested to try out a time and am scared off the older ones due to some feedback regarding a flexible front end.

thanks and good luck with your seat post.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

SBirch

by SBirch

Do you have the 2 bolt seat clamp? I believe with the 2 bolt clamp you don't need a slot. One bolt clamps the post and the other one clamps the frame.
You might even be able to just leave the mast at its current length and just insert a slightly longer post instead of the current stubby one.

AJS914

by AJS914

mrgray wrote:i
however can you provide some feedback on the bike once you are up and running with it? i am very interested to try out a time and am scared off the older ones due to some feedback regarding a flexible front end.

I wouldn't be scared of Time. A few Times have passed through my hands and what always impresses me is the quality of construction.

I have a VXS (2007ish) and it is a fine bike. I really enjoyed my time with it though it hangs in the garage now. My only real knock on the VXS was that it was too smooth and a little dead feeling. It was designed to be a Boonen Paris-Roubaix bike and they put extra vectran in the layup to dampen vibrations. It really is a minor fault because it does soak up the road in a way that you feel you could ride it all day. The handling on the Time is also fantastic.

JJN

by JJN

SBirch wrote:Do you have the 2 bolt seat clamp? I believe with the 2 bolt clamp you don't need a slot. One bolt clamps the post and the other one clamps the frame.
You might even be able to just leave the mast at its current length and just insert a slightly longer post instead of the current stubby one.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I think you are right. The wider bottom part is supposed to clamp the frame and the top part the seat post or insert, with an individual bolt for each part. I do have that clamp, but according to the www they are prone to break when overtorqued. The VXRs I have seen on the web have a regular seat post collar so I guess that should be possible as well.

The sales person of Time in the Netherlands advised to cut the ISP instead of leaving it on. Not sure why though. I will ask that.

JJN

by JJN

The VXRS is ready! I have ridden it now for 75 km and I think it is a great bike. Steering is fast and a bit nervous and this might explain peoples perception of the bike being not very stiff. I think it is fine as I can drive perfectly with my hands loose and descending at >60 km/h was fine.

I use a regular seatpost (300mm) in the translink. Despite the extra weight of this post I think this prevents problems with the translink tube that have been reported.

Only thing I worry about is the clearance of the rear tire (Schwalbe One 25c) with the seat tube. Really close and not ideal. Will change for a 23c tire to see if is better.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Looks really nice, thanks for the report!

ab01ns

by ab01ns

You might be able to get a longer seatmast that isn't a seatpost for the bike.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

kgt

by kgt

Beautiful bike. The frame is a classic!

m4k1

by m4k1

bought one too recently...amazing bike!

kgt

by kgt

:thumbup:

by Weenie