Ax-lightness Vial EVO Race build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sp3000

by sp3000

Haven't really tracked the weights! Terrible I know... I just got the shifters on, and leveled out the saddle and got the measurements correct for the steerer tube. I'll still leave a 20mm spacer on top for the first cut, It will give me some play for fit but mostly good practice for the final cut. I'm planning to have no spacers on top, THM advise 5mm on top so I'd like to hear some thoughts on that!

The power meter is coming from Starbike and I'm really not sure, they are waiting on their supplier and it's been out of stock for some time...

KCookie

by KCookie

Shame on you. Lol.I know most companies say to leave 5mm but ive just had mine cut and gone for a 2.5mm spacer. Looks so much better.
I bet your gutted, awesome bike you have and cant ride it. :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sp3000

by sp3000

You bet! It's killing me to be able to half build it, but in a way it's nice to be forced to take my time and enjoy it! I'd either leave a tiny spacer or none at all..

kode54

by kode54

sp3000 wrote:Haven't really tracked the weights! Terrible I know... I just got the shifters on, and leveled out the saddle and got the measurements correct for the steerer tube. I'll still leave a 20mm spacer on top for the first cut, It will give me some play for fit but mostly good practice for the final cut. I'm planning to have no spacers on top, THM advise 5mm on top so I'd like to hear some thoughts on that!

The power meter is coming from Starbike and I'm really not sure, they are waiting on their supplier and it's been out of stock for some time...

i have 10mm on top. was too nervous to cut down so only a 5mm fit.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

There is nothing wrong with having it flush. I haven't seen a steerer fail on a modern bike ever. Plus your young make it look mean slam it 8)

sp3000

by sp3000

sugarkane wrote:There is nothing wrong with having it flush. I haven't seen a steerer fail on a modern bike ever. Plus your young make it look mean slam it 8)

Will do! THM say 1-3mm below top cap for the cut, I assume 1mm is the best especially if no spacer on top?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

its still 1983 in Germany if you don't believe me I'll just leave this here Image

sp3000

by sp3000

Did the first cut of the steerer, max spacers recommended by THM are 40mm below and the recommend 5mm above. So for this cut to give me the most fitting options I have 30mm below and 15mm above. After I get it dialed in I will cut it again.

Just setting up the position of the shifters now..

But it's starting to look like a bike!
Attachments
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG

kode54

by kode54

some top caps have an inside indent lip that's about 1mm or 1.5 deep. you want to make sure that there's proper preload on the headset so the bearings are not loose in there.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sp3000

by sp3000

About the wrap the busyman tape. Cranks have now shipped so nearly done!

I swapped out the teflon coated jagwire inners that came with the cable kit and put in the new super-slick polishes stainless jagwire cables, very noticeable improvement, much lighter and smoother action and with the full length liners these should hopefully last much longer with nothing to flake off..
Attachments
IMG_0867.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG

kode54

by kode54

looking very nice. that's quite a bit of AX parts!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sp3000

by sp3000

kode54 wrote:looking very nice. that's quite a bit of AX parts!

Yes! If not for my DT Swiss Mon Chasseral wheelset from my other bike I'd even consider the AX wheels! I wanted to get AX skewers but I don't think they produce them anymore.. I've been looking at the Tune DC-130's..

kode54

by kode54

they don't have branded skewers anymore...and they were just okay...not the greatest. the Tune holds better, but i've been using the Enve ones since they have a better clamping lever.

even though I have an AX saddle, i'm riding the Tune saddle on my AX Lightness Vial EVO. i have a few seat posts that have the saddles at the right angle, so i just swap them when i need to. i always wanted to put the AX stem on, but computer mounts aren't suited for the reverse bolt mounting direction. i can't imagine how much the total weight will end up.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sp3000

by sp3000

The dt Swiss wheels are 1250g and I'm running them tubeless so they are quite light. I haven't been keeping any weights so I'm looking forward to seeing the total build weight!
As for the stem I plan to use the standard Garmin stem mount with the rubber o-rings.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

sp3000 wrote:Here we go!

Any thoughts on frame protection? I have thin protection tape and thought about cutting up a chainstay protection strip, or should I buy a specific thicker chainstay sticker kit? Also I'm considering if I should put a tape strip under the down tube? Maybe that is not necessary... Ideas appreciated..

Sorry, bit late to the party here but looking good, protection film????..... Frameskin in Canberra do a generic road bike kit in matt. have used ii on my son's matt C59 and can vouch for it.

SM
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com