Ax-lightness Vial EVO Race build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sp3000

by sp3000

I've just ordered my new Ax-lightness Vial EVO Race frame. Very excited, it's just gone to the painters now so I should have it soon!

I'll be building with eTap and the frame is set for no holes. I'm planning to run the Quarq Red DZero cranks in 130BCD, from what I understand Praxis rings are the way to go?

Also I was planning to run a Sram chain and cassette, but are there any opinions on running Dura-ace chain and cassette.

I will post more pics as I go, but for now here is the frame naked at the factory.
Attachments
VIAL evo Race (6) copy.jpg

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Why add paint? Gorgeous frame, I'd love one of those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sp3000

by sp3000

Just a semi-gloss clear coat, it'll show up the detail in the carbon work! I'm also not getting the sticker on the top tube to see more!
Attachments
VIAL_evo_Race_black-white-0162.jpg

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Sram xg-1190 cassette works well and is lighter, I'll go for that. Using Shimano is perfectly fine however. Same thing with chain compatibility - I use kmc with no issues.

sp3000

by sp3000

Thanks! Do you have a thought on the chain rings? As I mentioned the plan is most likely Praxis

gsindela

by gsindela

Regretfully cannot comment on chain rings, but wanted to chime in and say that is one BA frameset!
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

sp3000

by sp3000

Thanks!

Some people may disagree with me on this, but when I saw the detailing in the carbon on the top tube and around the head tube etc, I loved that the 3k weave is visible and is supporting the UD, shows off the beautiful handmade work, that's why I decided to keep the top tube without the sticker! Even though the sticker is also nice, it was a tough call...

The second picture is not my frame (cable holes on this one) but it shows what mine will look like, everything but the top sticker will be there..
Attachments
VIAL evo Race (10) copy.jpg
VIAL evo Race (2).JPG

sp3000

by sp3000

Any thoughts on brake cable housing? At the moment I'm planning to run the sram red calipers (unless there are some other great suggestions, EE?) I have some Nokon, but is the Jagwire elite better or the same?

davidw

by davidw

If money is a relative non issue, I hear Fibulas are the way to go for great performing weight weenie brakes. Definitely some swag points. EE's are definitely worth the money.

As far as housing goes, RyanH posted about some Aican housing that resembles standard housing but uses aluminum instead of steel cutting the weight down close to that of Alligator I-Links. Seems like a no hassle lightweight option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sp3000

by sp3000

The fibulas might be a bit of a stretch, but I could swing the EE's if they are "that" much better than the Red's. I'm not super concerned about the weight difference (it would be nice) but rather the performance. I'm currently used to Dura-Ace 9000's on carbon rims and they are great, so I don't want worse on this build.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would go for EE.
They are all black and is not so visual as Shima or Sram brakes with both black and silver.
Braking is also very good.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sp3000

by sp3000

wheelsONfire wrote:I would go for EE.
They are all black and is not so visual as Shima or Sram brakes with both black and silver.
Braking is also very good.

Yep, done. Going EE, I've got them in my basket but the shop is out of stock, so I'm just waiting to hear back on when they will have them, the Dzero red crank is also out of stock so waiting on that too.

sp3000

by sp3000

Any chain thoughts, sram red at the moment but I hear KMC might be better? This would be on sram red cassette with Praxis chainrings.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have been using SRAM red cass .. kmc sl11 and praxis rings for years. No problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sp3000

by sp3000