Canyon Ultimate EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Mep wrote:
Shrike wrote:
asv wrote:
Mep wrote:When will there be an Aeroad CF Evo? I'll be the first to jump on that.

I was thinking the same thing, that would be a winner.

+1

Reckon there'd be a punchup at the start of the queue [emoji38]

Guys I clearly got here first. Back in line!

Canyon rep was asked this recently and said they have no plans for it.

Lame.

Said something about lightweight layups suiting the spirit of the Ultimate better or some similarly massive bollocks.

They're just keeping the aero v lightweight bike thing strung out for sales. The tech is there I bet for 700g aero frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mep

by Mep

I agree, it certainly seems like we should be ushering in the era of ultra lightweight aero frames with examples like the Foil and Aeroad out there. Good to know that I shouldn't be holding my breath.

wingguy

by wingguy

I think they just don't feel it's worth the design investment for something that has a caveat. 'Lightest frame in the world!' sounds cool. 'Lightest frame in the world... for an aero bike' sounds like marketing nonsense, even if in reality they'd both be equally impressive.

Take Cervelo - the entire company was built around aero development, yet they've never made an S5CA.

Mep

by Mep

I'm not sure if marketing is the main reason. Something like "fastest and lightest bike in the world" sounds pretty spiffy to me. Maybe it's just me. [emoji6]

Gehenna

by Gehenna

Mep wrote:I'm not sure if marketing is the main reason. Something like "fastest and lightest bike in the world" sounds pretty spiffy to me. Maybe it's just me. [emoji6]

It's similar marketing garbage that companies like Leopard like to throw around. Even if a company has the R&D and data to back it up, it certainly sounds super shady and would put off the target market. Too many people have been hurt by too many quick-sale companies to believe in a "holy grail" bike.

A super light aero bike isn't too far off, i think. Probably Alchemy, Sarto or Dassi will be the first to introduce a sub-800g aero frame. From there, it'll be a short time before we progress beyond that. Eventually, Specialized will want to hop on the bandwagon and ruin the whole idea, i'm sure.

Torchy

by Torchy

I think it looks hot!

I already have an Aeroad and Ultimate CF SLX so I'll just remain an admirer of the Evco for now.

inchul

by inchul

When you combine everything in a mass-produced bicycle
I think it's the best design and weight.

It's not all the same idea.

Beaver

by Beaver

Does anyone have experience with the frame, any known problems so far?

The Vial Evo has been beefed up to around 780g, so besides the "not so aero" Trek Émonda there are not many superlight frames left...

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Beaver wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 pm
The Vial Evo has been beefed up to around 780g, so besides the "not so aero" Trek Émonda there are not many superlight frames left...
Unless they've added even more weight, the 2017+ Vial Evo Ultra is ~700g size M including hanger & seatpost clamp, and ~720g size L.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Beaver

by Beaver

Tour Mag. tested the latest "Benotti" Vial Evo Ultra size L 787g/271g fork. There were problems with the rear triangle, maybe that was reinforced.

That's close to the normal Canyon Ultimate CF SLX with 788g/341g for size M - the "Evo" was tested 668g/304g size M.

The Trek Émonda SLR 9 was 721g/345g for size 56, the Look 785 Huez RS 858g/336g size M, Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL 850g/343g size 56 and we've seen heavier ones here... A Cannondale SuperSix Evo also varies from paint, the first silver/green ones were around 780g/290g for size 56, I had a black/chrome one with 830g.

But in times of disc brakes, those last 100g maybe don't matter anymore. ;)

robertbb

by robertbb

My Ultimate CF SLX (size S), was 782g (incl. hangers). Headset beearings added 37g. Fork 324g (incl. nut).

da123

by da123

My Evo frame (Size S) is 660g. Uncut fork 274g.