A Review: Body-Customized Meld Saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

RedBullet wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 am
"incompatible equipment" means that they cannot be made to work. I did offer to make adjustments and was seeking some specific guidance. Instead I was told that it will never work, instead of offering me any other options.
From here:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/genera ... ost5249830
Scott Chapman,

1. Again, equipment incompatibility does not imply we stop working with you. That is not what is written in our policy, that is not what we did. We did not tell you that you should just discard the saddle, at all. We neither said that directly, nor implied that in any way.

2. We worked through the inputs you gave and provided corresponding feedback. Equipment incompatibility is the result of your saddle not being able to be moved forward based on the photo you sent. Saddle tilt feedback is based on your photo showing the leveler on top of your saddle. That is the photo we posted earlier. These are two separate feedback based on separate inputs. We are not sure how you came to the conclusion that the incompatibility is based on saddle tilt, but that is incorrect.

At this time, it appears that we have no further input on the matter.
So my summary is:
1. Scott didn't read the policy,
2. Scott didn't read the installation instructions,
3. Misunderstanding Meld's intentions because he didn't read the policy, instead of clarifying, trying out Meld's suggestions (moving the saddle forward, adjusting the tilt), he decided instead to rant online,
4. This is the part that gets me: I'm ok with people describing experiences they have with vendors/manufacturers, I'm not ok if they skip important parts of the interaction just to show they're right. In this case, Scott, I think omitting details on other feedback/help you received, such as incorrect saddle tilt, is deceitful when you rant about not getting any help. That is not true, and that is not ok.
5. In your latest rant on RBR, you mentioned various things that seem to be blatantly untrue (see Meld's response above). Either you are getting more confused, or you are deliberately lying. That is not decent behavior.

Scott, I'm sorry to say but you seem like a volatile, unreasonable customer. I'm sorry Meld had to work with you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

@RedBullet: shame that you don't seem to be willing to try and find a solution for the issue you have with the saddle.
----
No longer in the industry

RedBullet

by RedBullet

jever98 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:28 am
@RedBullet: shame that you don't seem to be willing to try and find a solution for the issue you have with the saddle.
(appologies in advance as I said I wouldn't respond here anymore, but just want to respond to above. please read tone as neutral; trying to be constructive)

Actually I am, and have said so. The feedback they provided was reasonable, made sense, and I appreciate it. I expected this based on reviews/forums I've read about the saddle.

My concern is that they classified my equipment as incompatible because, in their opinion, my saddle cannot be moved forward. Which it can, and I am willing to do that and have offered to do that.

So, yes, absolutely I am confused. Incompatible equipment (which means they can never work together) and still providing help doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The policy confuses me in that sense.

If, on the other hand (and I suspect this is perhaps what they meant) they mean that the installation was incorrect/improper that totally makes sense.

So, that's what I've been struggling with. Is it worth making the changes, testing it out, reporting results and going from there. On the one hand it sounds like help is being offered, but on the other I am told my equipment is incompatble.

Honestly I'm good with proceeding with dialing in the fit with this saddle if they think it can work. But don't see the point if they think it can't.

Smithjeb

by Smithjeb

Nah, I just read this thread. I am always skeptical of some of these reviews but I just went through a similar thing with Meld.

My saddle snapped in half and they spent hours trying to convince me it was impact damage. Then they claimed I had hit a pothole or had the saddle on a mountain bike.

When it started sounding ridiculous they wanted me to pay for part of the repair but we’re willing to move “a bit” and started insinuating that I couldn’t afford the replacement fee - despite having their saddle mounted on a hi-mod evo.

Horrible experience. I have dozens of Hi-Rez photos, receipts, and my local LBS affirming that it actually was a safety issue.

Save your money - throw on a Fizik - deal with your local folks who support us.

It’s very disheartening that we shall businesses in the cycling word that behind like this.

Smithjeb

by Smithjeb

Btw - go check out their BBB rating (D+) or search for reviews - there are several complaints.

Mostly they start out by being very pleased but once they have your money or there is a problem - Meld points to a policy that basically they used to shield themselves from fundamental defects.

I am honestly not sure I could break a Fabric or Fizik saddle if I hit it with a hammer.

I loved my Meld - until it fell apart at 1000 miles. I would have had no issue (cause they are a new company) but they flipped the whole thing around and tried to make it my problem and I am left with a $350 paper weight.

The safety thing is an issue and I am not done pursuing that. Saddles aren’t supposed to fall apart in normal riding.

Smithjeb

by Smithjeb

And by the way I spent hours trying to find a solution and work with them. They would not agree to anything unless it meant me admitting that I misused the saddle and sent them more money.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

@Smithjeb: honestly you sound very distraught and emotional at this time. I'm kind of worried for you. Perhaps calm down a bit while we wait for Meld's response?

For others: I'll post Meld's response here:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=152781

Smithjeb

by Smithjeb

I’m good. Just bummed out cause I got ripped off. Also, bummed out cause it is a neat idea and a cool product. Execution just leaves a little to be desired.

RedBullet

by RedBullet

Smithjeb wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:14 pm
I’m good. Just bummed out cause I got ripped off. Also, bummed out cause it is a neat idea and a cool product. Execution just leaves a little to be desired.
LOL, isn't it nice having someone so concerned for your wellbeing?
</sarcasm>

RedBullet

by RedBullet

antonioiglesius wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:27 am
See Meld's response at
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 1#p1417192
So reading it, sounds like it validated what he was saying. Also that eventully meld acknowledged his issue (though I think they could have done so with a little less content).

I also agree with what others said about the disclosure of communications. For example, naming the individual who reporting an issue to BBB seemed inappropriate. I kinda fel the same way when they shared my photos without asking... I didn't feel strongly about it, but I could see how it would upset folks. I think they could have made their point without it.

To anyrate, it was good to see them come around. And for the record they did the same for me, which I appreciate.

otoman

by otoman

I hate that there has been this much negativity regarding Meld from the two unsatisified customers. I have been very happy with my two saddles from Meld. Have used for 1.5 years, several thousand miles each. They have been, by far, the most comfortable saddles I have ever used.

I do think it is easier to get into these kind of "wars" in forums with small companies b/c they will actually respond. A single complaint matters to them. Take a company like Trek or Specialized. They don't offer crash replacement on their saddles. In fact, crashes void their warranty. So if you buy one of their expensive saddles and it doesn't fit or it breaks or you crash it or your toxic chamois cream eats a hole in it, tough. You are SOL. Go buy a new one.

While Meld's tone and tact in the RBR forum leaves a bit to be desired, their involvement at all in a public space about a private matter speaks to the fact that they do, in fact, care. Perhaps a bit of PR polish is in order for them. I hope most readers of this thread will recognize the inherent positives in Meld and recognize that there are always going to be a few dissatisfied outliers. RedBullet, I would applaud you for the civility you have kept in the threads. So many people get their flame on. Well done.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Stitchking

by Stitchking

otoman wrote:I hate that there has been this much negativity regarding Meld from the two unsatisified customers. I have been very happy with my two saddles from Meld. Have used for 1.5 years, several thousand miles each. They have been, by far, the most comfortable saddles I have ever used.

I do think it is easier to get into these kind of "wars" in forums with small companies b/c they will actually respond. A single complaint matters to them. Take a company like Trek or Specialized. They don't offer crash replacement on their saddles. In fact, crashes void their warranty. So if you buy one of their expensive saddles and it doesn't fit or it breaks or you crash it or your toxic chamois cream eats a hole in it, tough. You are SOL. Go buy a new one.

While Meld's tone and tact in the RBR forum leaves a bit to be desired, their involvement at all in a public space about a private matter speaks to the fact that they do, in fact, care. Perhaps a bit of PR polish is in order for them. I hope most readers of this thread will recognize the inherent positives in Meld and recognize that there are always going to be a few dissatisfied outliers. RedBullet, I would applaud you for the civility you have kept in the threads. So many people get their flame on. Well done.
Fwiw bontrager (trek) have a 30 day comfort guarantee (full refund) and are very good at warrantying actual warranty replacements. Same with shimano on saddles and probably a couple of the other big names.

If you crash a saddle, you crashed it. Buy a new one. If it snaps in half whilst riding it...

The worst looking part in these threads for meld is this antonio guy who supposedly has 0 affiliation with meld (besides being a customer) riding their d**ks and having confidential customer information which he is freely posting on a public forum. Shoddiest business practices!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

meld

by meld

@Stitchking
Antonio met us at Interbike 2016. He has remained very interested in what we do and have communicated regularly with us. He is not the only one whom we consider a good friend and customer, there are others except they don't post here on WW. Antonio has good intentions and we truly appreciate his friendship and help.

Again, we do not pass confidential customer information to third parties.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

meld wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:26 pm
@Stitchking
Antonio met us at Interbike 2016. He has remained very interested in what we do and have communicated regularly with us. He is not the only one whom we consider a good friend and customer, there are others except they don't post here on WW. Antonio has good intentions and we truly appreciate his friendship and help.

Again, we do not pass confidential customer information to third parties.
What do you consider giving Antonio the email correspondence with one of your customers? He is a "good friend of Meld" so you don't consider it sharing information with a 3rd party then?