Should I go for BB386EVO crank or stick with the OSBB?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

What crank should I get for the OSBB frame?

Power2max with the K-Force Light cranks + spacers (BB386EVO)
30%
Power2max + Rotor 3D+ (BB30)
20%
Power2max + S-Works crank arms
50%

Total votes: 10

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hello,

Basically - the title says it all. I've got a new ViAS frameset with the OSBB that I'm going to build pretty soon and I'm wondering what do to with the crank. I currently own the power2max type S with the K-Force Light cranks (I've chosen them because I'm using 180mm crank arms). I was thinking about upgrading to power2max NG and changing the crank arms in the process. The way I see it I got 3 options:
- I can keep my power2max and the K-Force Light cranks and use the crank with the spacers on each side of the frame
- I can change the power2max for the Rotor 3D+ version and get the 180mm arms
- I could get the S-Works cranks in 180mm (although it's nearly impossible to get in Europe I guess, they discontinued making them) and change the power2max for the Specialized one

I kinda need the powermeter so getting a crank without one is not an option. Don't really want to spend my money on something else than power2max too, I'm super satisfied with their product.

I created a poll too, maybe I'll get more replies that way.

Regards,
Marcin

by Weenie

joejack951

by joejack951

I voted K-Force and spacers because it is the cheapest and fastest solution to getting the bike built. As the S-Works arms are tough to come by, you can keep looking for a set with the intent to swap out the K-Force if and when they show up in your size. If not, at least you don't have a useless NG power meter sitting around and/or an unbuilt bike.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

My only concern is it won't look just as nice as it could.. It's not really an issue on the drive side, but the non-drive side could look a bit better I guess.. http://imgur.com/a/axuUh

I'm using the same configuration as I would on the new ViAS (this is the BB30 frameset with aforementioned cranks); I didn't really pay much attention before, but seeing the bikes built without the spacers, being cleaner overall makes me wonder if I shouldn't do the same on a new bike.
I don't really have complaints about the K-Force Light cranks, they look nice and are stiff enough for me, it's just the aestethics of the non-drive side.

joejack951

by joejack951

Use a paint marker on that bare aluminum insert on the crank arm and it will look a lot cleaner.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I say stick with what you have.

If you are really concerned, you could get a BB386 outboard bottom bracket for the frame instead of using the OSBB bearings. That would fill the gap better.

Also, I thought I read in one of the other threads that the new P2M NG doesn't actually fit on the new S-Works arms.

by Weenie

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Thank you for your replies. I've contacted Specialized Europe asking if they could get me 180mm crank arms from the US but the short answer is no. I have one last hope in the guy from ebay who supposedly have them, but he didn't respond to me in a long time.

According to power2max, the crank arms will fit. (If I understand correctly all S-Works cranks fit the NG)
support@power2max.de wrote:The olde s-works crank also fit to our NG.

I might end up staying with my current setup if I won't find anything I guess, but I still have more than 1 month to even start the build. The idea of painting the aluminum black seems interesting, but it doesn't really solve my problem; maybe Rotor cranks do, but I can't find any real test/review of them.