QR skewer shopping - Zipp v Enve v Reynolds

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Skewer time

Enve
39%
Reynolds
6%
Zipp
55%

Total votes: 31

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

I own Zipps, Enve & Reynolds, they are all fine but I give Zipp the nod because A) they seem to have a more gradual clamping force increase as you tighten the screw, whereas the Enves in particular want a certain screw spacing to be effective, and B) the Zipps clearly look more aero.

However, on my sprint bike and on my trainer bike I run the godlike DT Swiss RWS Titan which are genuinely the next best thing to thru-axle. 90g for the pair, but they're the only skewer that keeps my frame from creaking on the KICKR when sprinting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

WonderSausage wrote:However, on my sprint bike and on my trainer bike I run the godlike DT Swiss RWS Titan which are genuinely the next best thing to thru-axle. 90g for the pair, but they're the only skewer that keeps my frame from creaking on the KICKR when sprinting.

Do you have the actual weight of the DT Swiss titanium set? I've seen conflicting data...some say 90g for the set and some say 75g. Thanks.

rcb78

by rcb78

Shrike wrote:Anyone else have pdl's issue with Ti skewers?

I had that issue with some KCNCs. I weigh 212lbs and sprint at over 1400W and noticed a little bit of movement in the rear wheel. It became very obvious when trying to align my derailleur hanger. Since the QR nut also helps hold the hanger in place, I noticed that with ultra lightweight QRs the whole hanger was flexing away from the frame while trying to align it rather then allowing the drop down portion to bend slightly. I ended up trying the Zipps (former design with torpedo looking lever) because the Ti axle part did not taper down in size like most of the ultralight versions do, it remains at 5mm round through the whole length. With these installed, no more wheel movement and the the hanger stays put when using the alignment tool. I felt it was a good compromise in weight vs performance. Not at heavy as a DA set, yet pretty darn close to the same holding power, enough for me anyways.
FWIW, the wheel movement was seen as erosion of the inside of the DS dropout where the wheel was moving back and forth under pedaling load. That was on an Al frame (2012 Allez), I'm currently on a new Tarmac with full carbon dropout and there is no sign of movement at all even though the carbon would be more susceptible to this kind of damage.

stockae92

by stockae92

Briscoelab wrote:KCNC.

+1 mine are holding up with no issue, working perfectly. I don't ride in extreme cold or bad weather though.

my friend has zipp, which works the same. :)

evan326

by evan326

I feel like Zipp won

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

haynesdavid1988

by haynesdavid1988

righty wrote:as this is ww i would go with the chinese tune allen key copies around 30 grams and under £30 had some in use for more than 3 years now
hth

Top tip.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Not even one vote for my personal choice - the Reynolds.

No other cheapskates around :lol:

evan326

by evan326

Skewers aren't something I'd feel safe being cheap with

haynesdavid1988

by haynesdavid1988

evan326 wrote:Skewers aren't something I'd feel safe being cheap with

There is no problem with an alloy. Simple enough. Any defect would be apparent.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

evan326

by evan326

I didn't say there was a problem with any alloy.
I am ok being cheap certain places. Skewers aren't one of them.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

Shrike wrote:Going to take your word on these Zipps then :x
No Tunes.. out of budget. 300 quid on skewers pffft

Tune skewers at their price point, you would think they have some quality control.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I've used Tune, KCNC, and Zipp. Also Dura-Ace and Ultegra. The Shimano ones are bulletproof and very secure clamping. But heavy. I found the Tune skewers to be very fiddly to clamp properly. I never felt they had enough clamping force and I never felt secure using them. I switched them out. The KCNC I found to be more secure than the Tune but still wasn't fully confident in them. Once I tried the Zipp's I was sold. They may be a few grams heavier than the KCNC and Tune but way lighter than the Shimanos. They were easy to clamp (unlike the Tune's) and I am very happy with the clamping force.

evan326

by evan326

Just buy the zipps already OP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Ended up getting a pair of Zipps and a pair of Enves as only one pair of Zipps were left. Thinking to return the Zipps though.

Zipps advertised weight: 65g
Enve advertised weight: 62g

Zipps actual:79g
Enve actual: 58g

Was you think, return the Zipps and get another pair of Enves? Zipp pack says Ti on it, so don't think they've got them mixed up with the cheaper version.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

evan326 wrote:Skewers aren't something I'd feel safe being cheap with

Why? Cheap doesn't necessarily mean poor quality.

I have a pair of £100 Tune skewers (33g) and a pair of £12 Lifeline skewers (44g). Both are of equal quality and have performed faultlessly with a big 107kg rider bunny-hopping potholes at 80kph...

I also have Zipp, Mavic & Shimano skewers, but they just sit in the spare parts bag.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com