Convert record eps rim to disc

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Zoeyzidane

by Zoeyzidane

Apologies in advance if this has been previously asked. I searched but couldn’t find anything.

I have a record eps v3 rim brake groupset which I bought in mid 2016 with neutrons wheels.

I know I will need hydro shifters, calipers, rotors and possibly a new crank.

What else do I need to convert these to the eps disc?

Trying to work out whether to go disc on new bike or keep it as rim.

Thanks, Mick

by Weenie

joejack951

by joejack951

Are you will to use mechanical disc calipers? TRP HY/RD or Juintech R1 are both options that would save you from having to buy new levers and offer near hydro brake feel. Crank should be fine. I am using a 2016 Chorus crank on a disc frame with 410mm chainstays and don’t have any chainline issues.

Zoeyzidane

by Zoeyzidane

joejack951 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 pm
Are you will to use mechanical disc calipers? TRP HY/RD or Juintech R1 are both options that would save you from having to buy new levers and offer near hydro brake feel. Crank should be fine. I am using a 2016 Chorus crank on a disc frame with 410mm chainstays and don’t have any chainline issues.
I didn’t know I could use mechanical disc. I thought it was hydraulic.

joejack951

by joejack951

Zoeyzidane wrote:I didn’t know I could use mechanical disc. I thought it was hydraulic.
Campy’s disc groups are all hydraulic. But that doesn’t prevent you from using a set of regular levers with mechanical disc brake calipers. The benefit of the two calipers I mentioned is that they are mechanically actuated but have hydraulic internals. This greatly improves brake feel in my experience and the pads auto-adjust as they wear vs. manual tweaking with a full mechanical caliper.

Zoeyzidane

by Zoeyzidane

Thanks. I am still considering options and it will come down to cost.

Do I need to get new wheels or can I fit the rotors onto the current wheels via a new hub?

joejack951

by joejack951

I am not certain but I believe your wheels use fairly proprietary hubs so the chances of finding a disc-compatible replacement are quite slim. Someone else may know more.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Hubs are pretty expensive to replace anyways. Basically the only thing you keep is an old used rim. I wonder how essential a new crank is too. It will surely give better chainline, but it's not like road chainsets haven't been used with 135mm spaced rears berfore.
[6.6kg of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

ooo

by ooo

front disc brake (Juintech R1), rear rim brake
saves a lot of $$ and also weight
'

by Weenie