S-Works SL 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
ProfessorChaos
in the industry
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:10 am

by ProfessorChaos

dolophonic wrote:Of course its better ... ! its a new specialized :wink:

Like the venge was so good .. thats why Sagan raced the SL5 !!


Sagan raced the SL5 Tarmac and the Venge ViAS both depending on the race. When weight was more of a concern he rode the Tarmac. The newest Tarmac for me checks all the boxes. It's light, more aero than a lot of bikes, and I'm told the handling is even better. However, I doubt I'll sell my ViAS anytime soon. That bike is still a fantastic piece of machinery, and super aerodynamic. Maybe when I ride the new Tarmac I'll change my mind, but as of right now I'm keeping it in the quiver, but selling my first gen Venge.

Hexsense
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Hexsense wrote:Low trim (small ring) works for 28-15t on my cassette.


Normally I shift to the big ring before needing to shift to the 7th cog, but I would still want the ability to do so without FD rub. Since you're using the DA9100 derailleur with SRAM Red levers, what was the issue you had with the SRAM Red Yaw FD?

I just playing with them and found DA9100 FD require less lever effort and shift non round chainring better than Sram Yaw FD (Force level, i bought Red Shifter and RD after i experiment with Force part from other bike. Then i decide not to buy Red FD).
I went back to round ring for a while then go back to oval chainring again (probably not permanently). On oval ring set up if the chain doesn't rub FD cage, chain from small ring can caught on big ring if i use small+13 anyway so i don't loose too many combination plus the cage rub prevent that from happening.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Hexsense wrote:Low trim (small ring) works for 28-15t on my cassette.


Normally I shift to the big ring before needing to shift to the 7th cog, but I would still want the ability to do so without FD rub. Since you're using the DA9100 derailleur with SRAM Red levers, what was the issue you had with the SRAM Red Yaw FD?

I just playing with them and found DA9100 FD require less lever effort and shift non round chainring better than Sram Yaw FD (Force level, i bought Red Shifter and RD after i experiment with Force part from other bike. Then i decide not to buy Red FD).
I went back to round ring for a while then go back to oval chainring again (probably not permanently). On oval ring set up if the chain doesn't rub FD cage, chain from small ring can caught on big ring if i use small+13 anyway so i don't loose too many combination plus the cage rub prevent that from happening.


Ah yes that is true. I stopped using Q-Rings because I could never get the Red/eTap FD to stop dropping the chain outside the big ring even with 1mm cage clearance, angled shims, and less than 1mm on the high-limit.

ichobi
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Here’s mine
52cm frame
Red eTap Wifli
Rotor SRM 3d+ 165mm
Roval CLX32mm / turbo cotton 26mm
Aerofly 40mm bar
Arundel Mandible x2
Speedplay Cromoly
Jagwire brake housing
Ee direct mount

6.6kg

Just finished fitting. Will ride a bit more to check how low i can cut my steerer tube.

Brake feel is pretty horrid. Dura-Ace far better. The bend in aerobar doesn’t help. Will change housing to dura-ace despite weight gain.

Short ride impression - very well balanced. Amazing acceleration. Maintain speed better than climby bike.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorre
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

Nice proportions for a small size like yours!! Little disappointed with the final weight. Frame, groupset, brakes and wheels are pretty light by themselfs. SRM weights a ton and maybe the innertubes + rim tape are still the stock ones? Pretty heavy stock stuff! (I have the disc version of the wheels that came complete with tyres and everything). Lots of places to same some weight, all the small things add up. Skewers, bartape, SP axles etc can be swapped to lighter ones for not a lot of $.

ichobi
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

I have a rec mount that’s very heavy. The skewers are also 112g a pair. My bartape is 3mm thick. Lighter version of speedplay can also be used but costly. SRM is heavy too. I can shed another 200-300g pretty easily i think

Am only 5’5” and glad i picked 52cm. Only one 1cm spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morganb
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

This is pretty much exactly how I plan on building mine except a Power2Max 3D+ and a Zipp SL70 Aero instead of an Aerofly (cause it comes in 38cm). Good to know roughly where I should end up as I'll be on the same size.

ichobi
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

If you use ee make sure you use good brake housing for nice brake feel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slack
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 pm

by Slack

We'll have a Gloss Light Silver here in a few days, it'll be interesting to see the weight difference between the Superlight and the Expert frame we have already stripped. I would expect it to be heavier with the gloss paint but I couldn't guess by how much.

morganb
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

Slack wrote:We'll have a Gloss Light Silver here in a few days, it'll be interesting to see the weight difference between the Superlight and the Expert frame we have already stripped. I would expect it to be heavier with the gloss paint but I couldn't guess by how much.

Is this a non-US market frame? I haven't seen that color scheme.

Slack
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 pm

by Slack

It's a U.K. Frame.

tguillaume
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 pm

by tguillaume

Hi,

my new Tarmac SL6 is coming for a few days at my Spécialized Shop...

Image

morganb
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

ichobi wrote:Brake feel is pretty horrid. Dura-Ace far better. The bend in aerobar doesn’t help. Will change housing to dura-ace despite weight gain.

Now that I think about it I've had Aerofly's on two bikes and the rear brake felt terrible on both of them, the front slightly better but not great. I just got a second Allez Sprint and did an SL70 this time and didn't notice that the rear brake feels fine now. I always thought it was the full housing to the rear that was ruining brake feel but maybe it was just the bars. The slot is pretty low so if you like to run your hoods slightly high its even worse.

XCProMD
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Cantabria

by XCProMD

morganb wrote:
Discodan wrote:
L3X wrote:
In general I'm so done with cycling industry being terrible with marketed vs. actual weights. Get your production process in order and be honest in your marketing already.


Agree. What are people's observations about which companies and/or countries are the worst culprits and who can be trusted? It seems the US based companies stretch the truth but the Germans (i.e. Canyon) seem to be pretty accurate and the Italians somewhere in the middle.

From my motorbike racing days it was just taken as a fact that Japanese horsepower were very different than Italian hp (the latter being truthful, the former greatly exaggerated)

Italian brands are some of the worst offenders with bike weight claims. Pinarello especially. Trek is almost always on point with their weights, Specialized not so much.

But then Campagnolo is even too honest, often claiming weights above what you are delivered wing buying they actual product.




Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

XCProMD
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Cantabria

by XCProMD

Thanks Tapatalk for this triple post. Sorry for that
Last edited by XCProMD on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post