S-Works SL 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Slack

by Slack

Delorre wrote:
jwfinesse wrote:I got my Sagan Superstar frame about two weeks ago, and it is definitely heavier than what I expected.

It weighs 961g without any hardware whatsoever. The paint looks thick and heavy on this bike, and even the head badge is actually a badge instead of a regular Specialized's painted-on logo, which must add some weight too. I can't say I'm not disappointed, but I got this frame for this specific paint scheme and the ride quality.

The complete build weighs 6.58kg, which isn't too bad considering it's got a porky Enve SES aerobar (270g), FSA BB30-BSA adapter+Ceramicspeed BSA bb (total of 132g), Enve 4.5 tubbie (1350g). The only lightweight part I have on there is EE directmounts.

Wait, that's 100gr more than the same size and color scheme someone posted over here a month ago :shock:

Is Specialized making them more and more heavy over time? Weird, really! if not, I wonder about qc :?

The park scales aren't particularly accurate for large (in size) items. The sensor for the scale can give wildly different readings depending on where you push down on the plate. I've had the same pair of cranks vary by +/- 150g just by placing them in different places on the scale. They also aren't verified for trade so there's nothing to say one pair will read the same as another pair. If you wanted to check the weight of both those frames you'd have to weigh them on the same set of scales positioned in exactly the same place, and even then you wouldn't be guaranteed that they'd be accurate.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

^

And yet the weight shown is inline with many other reports of painted Tarmacs being around 880g +/-10g.

by Weenie

Slack

by Slack

TobinHatesYou wrote:^

And yet the weight shown is inline with many other reports of painted Tarmacs being around 880g +/-10g.

I'm replying to that post, which in turn he is replying to a post about one weighing 900+g. It's helpful if you follow the thread rather than just read a single post.
Last edited by Slack on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slack

by Slack

With any luck today I will strip an Expert bike with the matte black frame and pink decal to see what the weight difference is between that and the UL frame we weighed earlier in the week.

charlieorca84

by charlieorca84

Mine arrived over the weekend... comes in heavy too! Tried to add photo but it’s too big until I get back to the Mac! It’s 796g bare frame weight.
This is a 56cm ultralight with complete bare frame, no hangers or metal work at all.
Fork and seat post match the previous photo weights exactly

Not overly impressed on paying the extra and not getting a 750gm frame!
Last edited by charlieorca84 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

orange

by orange

charlieorca84 wrote:Mine arrived over the weekend... comes in heavy too!
This is a 56cm ultralight with complete bare frame, no hangers or metal work at all.
Fork and seat post match the previous photo weights exactly

Not overly impressed on paying the extra and not getting a 750gm frame!

what weight is the frame ?

morganb

by morganb

Slack wrote:With any luck today I will strip an Expert bike with the matte black frame and pink decal to see what the weight difference is between that and the UL frame we weighed earlier in the week.

Following this. I'm pretty set on an Expert at this point unless its heavier than the SL5 since I already have all the parts to build it minus direct mount brakes.

orange

by orange

Slack wrote:With any luck today I will strip an Expert bike with the matte black frame and pink decal to see what the weight difference is between that and the UL frame we weighed earlier in the week.

if it helps I have the weights of the bearings, clips etc (assuming experts are the same) saves you stripping out the BB

Slack

by Slack

orange wrote:

if it helps I have the weights of the bearings, clips etc (assuming experts are the same) saves you stripping out the BB

The Expert has a Praxis BB so it's not too much hassle to remove and they weigh a fair bit.

orange

by orange

Slack wrote:
The Expert has a Praxis BB so it's not too much hassle to remove and they weigh a fair bit.

:thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Slack wrote:

I'm replying to that post, which in turn he is replying to a post about one weighing 900+g. It's helpful if you follow the thread rather than just read a single post.

I do not believe either scale is off by the margins you imply, but we could easily verify that the 961g frame weighs around that by using another scale. If you move the frame around on the scale, the higher value is going to be more accurate once skew and offset have been accounted for.

I do find that some scales will fluctuate just from magnetic interference. I have a bathroom scale that varies by half a pound if I wave my hand over the plate.

Slack

by Slack

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Slack wrote:

I do not believe either scale is off by the margins you imply, but we could easily verify that the 961g frame weighs around that by using another scale. If you move the frame around on the scale, the higher value is going to be more accurate once skew and offset have been accounted for.

I do find that some scales will fluctuate just from magnetic interference. I have a bathroom scale that varies by half a pound if I wave my hand over the plate.

While you might not believe that the scales are wrong by that margin, I have first hand seen Park scales vary by 100-150g on the same item. How do you know there isn't a magnet near the photo of the heavier frame? You simply don't as it is a photo on the internet. It cannot be proved by either of us, either way that one frame is heavier than the other, or that the scales may be giving an incorrect reading.

Slack

by Slack

Duplicate post.

Slack

by Slack

This is the weight of an Expert frame stripped to the same level as the UL frame I weighed earlier in the week. It's on the same scales on the edge of the same table, so as accurate as I can be.
Attachments
IMG_0016.JPG

orange

by orange

What frame size ?

by Weenie