S-Works SL 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
pyrahna

by pyrahna

cyclespeed wrote:Had been considering an SL6 (I have 2 x Sworks SL5's), and was prepared to maybe stomach the less than beautiful looks for the over 250g weight saving + aero gains.

But as I kind of suspected, the 733g frame is dream land. So the saving would only be just over 100g (I ride 52's). Not enough to justify the looks and the steamy price tag (+400E compared to the SL5).

I love the ride and handling of my SL5's so I guess I'll wait for the SL7!!

Have you weighed your SL5? Or are you going off of what other people say it weighs?

HaroldC

by HaroldC

cyclespeed wrote:Had been considering an SL6 (I have 2 x Sworks SL5's), and was prepared to maybe stomach the less than beautiful looks for the over 250g weight saving + aero gains.

But as I kind of suspected, the 733g frame is dream land. So the saving would only be just over 100g (I ride 52's). Not enough to justify the looks and the steamy price tag (+400E compared to the SL5).

The SL6 is better in every way compared to the SL5: lighter, torsionslly stiffer but more comfortable. Yes, it's more expensive, but worth the difference for me.

TonyM

by TonyM

HaroldC wrote:

The SL6 is better in every way compared to the SL5: lighter, torsionslly stiffer but more comfortable. Yes, it's more expensive, but worth the difference for me.

That sounds good :thumbup:
Do you "feel" the aero improvement? :shock:

KWalker

by KWalker

I talked to some old teammates that were on a mix of Venges, ViAS', and Allez Sprint before and all of them sold their other bikes for the new one and are raving about.

None of them "feel" they're losing anything by not being on a ViAS
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

L3X

by L3X

Well that makes sense because the frame doesn't contribute that much to overall aerodynamics compared to other factors like position, clothing, helmet, bars etc.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

pyrahna wrote:

Have you weighed your SL5? Or are you going off of what other people say it weighs?

Yes of course, I weighed them both and they are in the 950g range (size 52).

fritzbox

by fritzbox

EE Brakes Image

Gesendet von meinem SM-T805 mit Tapatalk

rossjm11

by rossjm11

A couple of random thoughts;

First, the pink one is badass... that color scheme is the only reason I would buy it.

Second, I do not really understand buying one since it is a 2015 BMC SLR01 remake... The geometry is almost the exact same, the weight is heavier, it does get direct mount brakes, and you get an S-Works badge... buuuuut you pay $4k for a frameset where as you can grab the SLR01 for $1k.

I do not contend that this is a nice bike, but it is so unoriginal. When I first saw it, I was almost astounded BMC is not taking Specialized to court. Slightly changed tubes and seat post...

BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

rossjm11 wrote:A couple of random thoughts;

First, the pink one is badass... that color scheme is the only reason I would buy it.

Second, I do not really understand buying one since it is a 2015 BMC SLR01 remake... The geometry is almost the exact same, the weight is heavier, it does get direct mount brakes, and you get an S-Works badge... buuuuut you pay $4k for a frameset where as you can grab the SLR01 for $1k.

I do not contend that this is a nice bike, but it is so unoriginal. When I first saw it, I was almost astounded BMC is not taking Specialized to court. Slightly changed tubes and seat post...

Yeah....Sure.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

cyclespeed wrote:
pyrahna wrote:

Yes of course, I weighed them both and they are in the 950g range (size 52).

Yeah, that is a disappointing difference in weight given the huge marketing about how much lighter the SL6 is.

wingguy

by wingguy

rossjm11 wrote:I do not contend that this is a nice bike, but it is so unoriginal. When I first saw it, I was almost astounded BMC is not taking Specialized to court. Slightly changed tubes and seat post...

You gotta be kidding me. So apart from the fact they've both got dropped seatstays, what is there that's actually the same between them? :noidea:

moyboy

by moyboy

Is this a 56cm ? Just wondering on clearance with the eebrake rear as i got an adapter for my 54 due to the low seat stay.

fritzbox wrote:EE Brakes Image

Gesendet von meinem SM-T805 mit Tapatalk

fritzbox

by fritzbox

Yes 56

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

EE brakes are standard equipment on the Ultralight complete bikes, so they should fit all sizes I assume.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

ProfessorChaos wrote:EE brakes are standard equipment on the Ultralight complete bikes, so they should fit all sizes I assume.

54 and smaller need an Al. adapter that moves the brakes up and back a little to avoid hitting the seatpost.