S-Works SL 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
robgwest

by robgwest

Just got my 56cm "ultralight". Not happy :(

Has the hangers and bolts on.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

robgwest wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm
Just got my 56cm "ultralight". Not happy :(

Has the hangers and bolts on.

Yeah, that's disappointing-ordered mine this past weekend in 56cm as well, so you have set my expectations low (or high, as far was where my frame weight will come in at). Guess we have to hang our hat on it's relative aero-ness for it's weight.

BB bearings are obviously not in, but what did you take off the frame as shipped so I can get/provide a comparable weight? Prior posters, feel free to chime in on what should be "standard" for the weigh-in for this particular frame and I can also look at prior posts. Probably will not try to take anything off that I could screw up, e.g., having the seat post wedge drop down the seat tube, like I did with my SL5 :oops: . Thanks for sharing.

robgwest

by robgwest

This was straight out of the box with the hangers, bottle cage bolts and cable guide still on. I think that is the same as a previous post where they had it as 790g. This frame is supposed to be replacing a Focus Izalco Max 56cm. I didn't weigh that frame at the time to check it matched the advertised weight which I think is supposed to be 790g? I was hoping this SL6 would win on both weight and aero. I guess it will have to just be aero now!
Last edited by robgwest on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

L3X

by L3X

I would literally have that returned. You're paying for a light frame.

Specialized claim 730g frame weight for UL in size 56: https://www.specialized.com/au/en/new-tarmac
"A 733g frame weight and 13.6lb complete bike weight (Ultralight Version, size 56cm) should say everything you need to know. As mentioned above, this ultra-low weight comes from the ability to co-optimize each of the Tarmac’s performance targets, so that reducing weight doesn’t negatively affect the frames handling or aerodynamic performance."

820g is not 733g + production tolerance

crux

by crux

Haha maybe its 730g +/- 15% :')

robgwest

by robgwest

L3X wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:46 pm
I would literally have that returned. You're paying for a light frame.

Specialized claim 730g frame weight for UL in size 56: https://www.specialized.com/au/en/new-tarmac
"A 733g frame weight and 13.6lb complete bike weight (Ultralight Version, size 56cm) should say everything you need to know. As mentioned above, this ultra-low weight comes from the ability to co-optimize each of the Tarmac’s performance targets, so that reducing weight doesn’t negatively affect the frames handling or aerodynamic performance."

820g is not 733g + production tolerance
I am considering returning it. Feel like I am being ripped off.

Slack

by Slack

If it's that much on issue for you just send it back.

dcorn

by dcorn

Do you guys know how Spesh got to their reported frame weight? robgwest admits keeping the RD hanger and bottle bolts and all that stuff in the frame when weighed. What did specialized have attached to the frame when weighing it? I'd imagine they would take everything off they possibly could to get it as light as possible. If it's not epoxied on or pressed in, remove it.

robgwest

by robgwest

dcorn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm
Do you guys know how Spesh got to their reported frame weight? robgwest admits keeping the RD hanger and bottle bolts and all that stuff in the frame when weighed. What did specialized have attached to the frame when weighing it? I'd imagine they would take everything off they possibly could to get it as light as possible. If it's not epoxied on or pressed in, remove it.
I expect every manufacturer tries to get to the lowest figure they can, so if it can come off they will take it off. Would the hardware be 80g or so? I might take it off tonight and weigh again out of curiosity.

I'll probably keep it as I am not buying it only for the weight, but I just wish the marketing machine would not hype stuff up and massage the truth so much.

L3X

by L3X

dcorn wrote:
The way most manufacturers weigh bikes doesn't make sense at all, you're totally right.

Honestly, I know a lot of people here and IRL who complain about weights not being correct. Instead of complaining we should just start acting on it. If it doesn't meet the promises within a reasonable margin the product is flawed.

rsantos450

by rsantos450

Where can i find compatible bolts/nuts for the s-works spider?

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

dcorn wrote:Do you guys know how Spesh got to their reported frame weight? robgwest admits keeping the RD hanger and bottle bolts and all that stuff in the frame when weighed. What did specialized have attached to the frame when weighing it? I'd imagine they would take everything off they possibly could to get it as light as possible. If it's not epoxied on or pressed in, remove it.
Yep that’s what I figured my 54 was 790 with the same items still attached. (I found pics I took at the shop when they weighed to confirm no bb and no seat post wedge it was not on mine out of the box) ImageImage but if I remove the cable port cover, RD hanger, cage bolts would probably be closer to advertised. I may remove them someday to weigh individually. The advertised weight was probably as you said completely bare maybe even without the FD holder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

robgwest wrote:
dcorn wrote:
I expect every manufacturer tries to get to the lowest figure they can, so if it can come off they will take it off. Would the hardware be 80g or so? I might take it off tonight and weigh again out of curiosity.

I'll probably keep it as I am not buying it only for the weight, but I just wish the marketing machine would not hype stuff up and massage the truth so much.
My UL came in today-815g for a 56 with the same parts on as robgwest (820 for a 56) and mbdurham (790 for a 54). RD hanger (15g) cage bolts (4g), and cable port cover (6g) would take 25g off those weights. Didn’t take out the top tube brake cable guide, but that can’t be more than 5g. FD hanger is riveted on the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ichobi

by ichobi

The weight margin is incredibly lousy.

Jian81

by Jian81

I just received the SWorks Chameleon Green Frameset in sz 56. My LBS weighed it, it came in at 870g(with hangers, bottle cage bolts etc). IMO, not too bad for a semi aero frame with a pretty thick paintwork. However, im pretty disappointed for the Ultralight weights posted by you guys, it has a pretty big difference from what was advertised, especially when u guys paid a premium price for it:

"the S-Works Ultralight uses a special paint that weighs only 10 g (!). The result is a 733 g frame in size 56 cm."

Its sad that they do things like that. I hope the cycling industry shifts away from such practices, if i were you i would return it if possible.