S-Works SL 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
dcorn

by dcorn

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 pm
I'm running them in all of my Specialized bikes... Venge Pro, S-Works Allez, S-Works Shiv TT and Fuse Comp MTB. and they've been rock solid.
When did you buy an S-works Allez?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

dcorn wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
I'm running them in all of my Specialized bikes... Venge Pro, S-Works Allez, S-Works Shiv TT and Fuse Comp MTB. and they've been rock solid.
Converted my Allez Comp... bare, no pain DSW frame and S-Works 11R Tarmac fork.

2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

by Weenie

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Question to anyone who purchased a SL6 Sworks frame separately did your frame come with the bottom bracket bearings already pressed in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

morganb

by morganb

mbdurham17 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:09 pm
Question to anyone who purchased a SL6 Sworks frame separately did your frame come with the bottom bracket bearings already pressed in?

I haven't got an SL6 yet but I've bought 4 Specialized/S-Works as frame only and every single one came with the bearings pressed in.

morganb

by morganb

Also another shot in the dark, but has anyone ridden either a Pro/Expert and an S-Works? I couldn't really find much difference with the SL5 and went with a Pro then since I already had a full build kit.

dcorn

by dcorn

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm
dcorn wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Converted my Allez Comp... bare, no pain DSW frame and S-Works 11R Tarmac fork.

Oh, so you just arbitrarily made your own. Cool.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

morganb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 pm
Also another shot in the dark, but has anyone ridden either a Pro/Expert and an S-Works? I couldn't really find much difference with the SL5 and went with a Pro then since I already had a full build kit.
I have not ridden the new Tarmacs, but I did the same with the 1st gen. Venge and found similar results. I have a Venge Pro in the 10R carbon and it basically weighs the same, when complete, as both of my friend's 11R carbon S-Works Venges, actually even a touch lighter because of some of the component choices. Riding both, I can't discern a difference in stiffness.
dcorn wrote: Oh, so you just arbitrarily made your own. Cool.
Yup... basically.

morganb

by morganb

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 pm
morganb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 pm
I have not ridden the new Tarmacs, but I did the same with the 1st gen. Venge and found similar results. I have a Venge Pro in the 10R carbon and it basically weighs the same, when complete, as both of my friend's 11R carbon S-Works Venges, actually even a touch lighter because of some of the component choices. Riding both, I can't discern a difference in stiffness.

Looking at the actual weights of the bike here, I believe one of the expert frames in a 54 or 56 ended up at 924g, compared to anything from 730-900 (heavy paint Sagan frame)+ for the S-Works possible. If the ride is otherwise the same the extra money can be put towards gram savings elsewhere, leaning towards a Carbon Ti hub based alloy wheelset.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

morganb wrote:
mbdurham17 wrote:

I haven't got an SL6 yet but I've bought 4 Specialized/S-Works as frame only and every single one came with the bearings pressed in.
Thanks I am trying to determine if when the bike shop weighed my frame if the bearings were installed or not. I didn’t specifically check it and just assumed they were not. I was way off on my whole bike weight apparently from having the park hanging scale clamped too tightly and trying to resolve where the difference is on my spreadsheet of individual weights because most of it is actual.

Lighter than I initially thought is better but just trying to determine where I am off. If the bearings were installed the frame weight is much better than I thought Image

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

mbdurham17 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks I am trying to determine if when the bike shop weighed my frame if the bearings were installed or not. I didn’t specifically check it and just assumed they were not. I was way off on my whole bike weight apparently from having the park hanging scale clamped too tightly and trying to resolve where the difference is on my spreadsheet of individual weights because most of it is actual.

Lighter than I initially thought is better but just trying to determine where I am off. If the bearings were installed the frame weight is much better than I thought Image

Every Specialized road frame set that I've seen has come with bearings installed.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

morganb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm
mbdurham17 wrote:

My SL6 Sagan frame did not have bearings pressed in. Not a big deal, but you need to use a headset press with the correct spacers.

Also, my Allez Sprit did not have bearings installed, but my SL5 Sagan did have them installed from Specialized.

morganb

by morganb

HaroldC wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 am
morganb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm
mbdurham17 wrote:

My SL6 Sagan frame did not have bearings pressed in. Not a big deal, but you need to use a headset press with the correct spacers.

Also, my Allez Sprit did not have bearings installed, but my SL5 Sagan did have them installed from Specialized.
My Sprint came with headset and BB installed but it was the gold ano model which was the first release. Maybe they have changed how they shipped their frames since then.

Slack

by Slack

I've had 3 new frames through now, 1 super light and 2 regular, none of them have had their bearings pressed in. The BB cable routing is different to all of the old frames and it's a lot easier to fit without the bearings in there. When you're installing Di2 there is a plastic sleeve to keep the cables away from the crank axle once installed and this can't be fitted with the bearings fitted as it held in place by the bearings.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Slack wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 pm
I've had 3 new frames through now, 1 super light and 2 regular, none of them have had their bearings pressed in. The BB cable routing is different to all of the old frames and it's a lot easier to fit without the bearings in there. When you're installing Di2 there is a plastic sleeve to keep the cables away from the crank axle once installed and this can't be fitted with the bearings fitted as it held in place by the bearings.
I asked the question in the SBCU Facebook group and this was the same answer I've been given. It seems that a few people that got early SL6's may have had bearings installed, but it seems like most of the frames have had them not installed.

by Weenie

downhill1234

by downhill1234

This video popped up a few days ago. Interview with Peter Denk. Some cool info on frame design and Rider First, along with aerodynamics. 35 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79Feng ... =youtu.be
I'm still trying to find what a non-Sworks frame might weigh, and how much more tire clearance these frames have.