S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

AW84 wrote:On a related topic, I'd like to see them spec a rim brake Venge again, in a configuration that the average cyclist can actually afford. With disc-only and high-end builds, I bet they sold tens of Venge's this year.

Venge Elite. Inexpensive and rim brake.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/b ... ite/115695

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I suggested a revamp, and re-release of the Venge ViAS rim brake as a complete bike, and the idea was shot down. I figured if we could take a 4-500g out of the bike, and release it as a special edition it would sell well. That being said we do still have some sizes of the rim brake ViAS frameset in stock in the US market.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

ProfessorChaos wrote:I suggested a revamp, and re-release of the Venge ViAS rim brake as a complete bike, and the idea was shot down. I figured if we could take a 4-500g out of the bike, and release it as a special edition it would sell well. That being said we do still have some sizes of the rim brake ViAS frameset in stock in the US market.

That is a real shame. In my opinion Specialized really missed the mark with this one.

It seems like the cost was not consistent with the offerings of other manufacturers. The Trek Madone is cheaper, and is arguably a superior bike.

Not to mention the extremely competitive pricing of the Canyon Aeroad.

I love the look of the Venge Vias, but it didn't seem to be worth the price tag.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

thedonnydino wrote:That is a real shame. In my opinion Specialized really missed the mark with this one.

It seems like the cost was not consistent with the offerings of other manufacturers. The Trek Madone is cheaper, and is arguably a superior bike.

I love the look of the Venge Vias, but it didn't seem to be worth the price tag.

I'm a pretty big fan of the ViAS. I'll be honest, it was love at first sight, and then love at first ride, when I finally got to ride one. That being said, it would be nice to shed some weight from it, not that it's even that noticeable. My 2015 Venge is a bit lighter, but I still chose the ViAS unless it's raining. Maybe one day I'll be on the product team and be able to bring some of my wild ideas to the masses. Until then, the guys are doing a pretty good job. I'm excited about the 2018 stuff as much as you guys are.

AW84

by AW84

thedonnydino wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:I suggested a revamp, and re-release of the Venge ViAS rim brake as a complete bike, and the idea was shot down. I figured if we could take a 4-500g out of the bike, and release it as a special edition it would sell well. That being said we do still have some sizes of the rim brake ViAS frameset in stock in the US market.

That is a real shame. In my opinion Specialized really missed the mark with this one.

The flaw was that they targeted their aero road bike line entirely at the small percentage of riders with piles of money to burn. The lowest priced rim brake Venge (the new one) they offered was the Pro at more than eight grand. Had they hung Ultegra on it with a lower-end set of wheels at a Tarmac Expert kind of price, they'd have sold a ton of them.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

For the Roubaix last year, dealers who went to the dealer event in Morgan Hill got to see the Roubaix and get to ride them as well as tech talk. That was in July, then released to the public in September. We may not see that with the Tarmac, it's likely dealers will get teaser shots through email and PromoBoxx a few days/weeks before the release at the Tour (again, just guessing).

TonyM

by TonyM

My LBS told me they will know in August how the new Tarmac 2018 will be

milesthedog

by milesthedog

TonyM wrote:My LBS told me they will know in August how the new Tarmac 2018 will be

that stinks - missing a summer release date entirely. Hope to see some at the Giro or Tour...

junkcheck

by junkcheck

1swiftvelo wrote:New Tarmac is coming. Horizontal top tube and seat stays like the venge and Roubaix. Disc and rim brake.

elaborate on the horizontal TT. as in aero mast?

I hope the stays are not lowered like the venge I mean cool stiffer and aero but an eyesore

add in here the thru axle for disc.

rear spacing for disc? SCS?

illtron3030

by illtron3030

They already have an eTap without the cable ports.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/b ... tap/129654

Tracerboy wrote:I really, really hope that Specialized make new Tarmac first real eTap frame without no neccesary cable ports 8)
There is also topic about new Cervelo R-series wich is also clean new look :thumbup:
I need new frame in the end of this year so these two are best options for me.

I think that new 2018 Tarmac S-works and new R-series Cervelo are quite similar when released
but cleaner look frame is winner to me.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

junkcheck wrote:
1swiftvelo wrote:New Tarmac is coming. Horizontal top tube and seat stays like the venge and Roubaix. Disc and rim brake.

elaborate on the horizontal TT. as in aero mast?

I hope the stays are not lowered like the venge I mean cool stiffer and aero but an eyesore

add in here the thru axle for disc.

rear spacing for disc? SCS?

SCS is gone. Specialized dropped it for this current model year.

TonyM

by TonyM

Read that the new DA9150 crankset is modified in order to better accommodate disc brake system with the chainstay (min of 410mm recommended now).

Slack

by Slack

SCS isn't a frame specification, it's a wheel specification. A 2015/16 SCS tarmac disc frame is exactly the same as a 2017 tarmac disc. Shimano and Sram have chain line specifications that they require for you to fit their groupsets to a bike. SCS was just a way to keep a short chain stay and stay within Shimano's specs. Shimano has relaxed the chain line tolerances for 2017 hence, Specialized no longer fit the offset hanger to their bike or use an SCS rear wheel.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Is it correct Spoecialized is no longer offering the Venge Vias rimbrake?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dblackwood72

by dblackwood72

But not in a frameset only option!

illtron3030 wrote:They already have an eTap without the cable ports.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/b ... tap/129654

Tracerboy wrote:I really, really hope that Specialized make new Tarmac first real eTap frame without no neccesary cable ports 8)
There is also topic about new Cervelo R-series wich is also clean new look :thumbup:
I need new frame in the end of this year so these two are best options for me.

I think that new 2018 Tarmac S-works and new R-series Cervelo are quite similar when released
but cleaner look frame is winner to me.