S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Shrike wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:17 am
If Tarmacs are rolling off the line within 100 grams of a Venge, it’s almost not worth it to get a tarmac unless you want rim brakes or that 100 grams
Yes.. thinking the same. Actually starting to wonder what the point of the Tarmac is unless you want rim brakes. Is the ride quality a lot different. Feels better climbing, cornering is sharper?
From what I’ve heard the lay up is different meaning the stiffness varies so you get a different ride quality. Both have the same geo so I don’t know how much that layup difference varies the ride quality.

m66

by m66

I'm looking at a set of direct mount EE Cycleworks brakes for my SL6, size 54.

I see that there is a SL6 specific rear brake for the G4, along with a front/rear brake, and a chain stay brake.

What I am wondering is if anyone is running G3 on this frame? The G3 only seems to come in a front specific and a rear specific configuration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

It's quite a long thread, but hopefully someone had tthis problem before.

I'm looking into buying a new wheelset for my S-Works SL6 rim brake. Question is how wide of a rim can it accommodate and how much will a 25/28mm tubeless tire balloon on a rim?

I'm running Dura-Ace BR-9110RS which came standard with the bike. At this point I'm considering two options of 36mm profile rims (training wheelset).

Which one would work best for the SL6 frame?

1. 25mm outer / 18mm inner width

2. 28mm outer / 21mm inner width (hooked profile)

Unfortunately, I could not find the dimensions of Roval CLX 32 rims that came standard on ultralight frames. Currently, Roval website lists them as:

Rim Width: 20.7mm internal, 28.1mm external

But I'm afraid it could be a newer model than came with original SL6. Will it have enough clearance on brakes and chainstays?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Is this the cleanest way to route the wiring for the cockpit?

Just curious if someones found a way to clean it more despite the external wiring for the front brakes.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200109-212523_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200109-213442_Chrome.jpg

Stendhal

by Stendhal

samarskyrider wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:38 pm

I'm looking into buying a new wheelset for my S-Works SL6 rim brake. Question is how wide of a rim can it accommodate and how much will a 25/28mm tubeless tire balloon on a rim?

I'm running Dura-Ace BR-9110RS which came standard with the bike. At this point I'm considering two options of 36mm profile rims (training wheelset).

Unfortunately, I could not find the dimensions of Roval CLX 32 rims that came standard on ultralight frames. Currently, Roval website lists them as:

But I'm afraid it could be a newer model than came with original SL6. Will it have enough clearance on brakes and chainstays?

Thanks in advance!

I also own the S-Works SL6 Tarmac rim bike and run the awesome Roval CLX32 wheels. As you state, the current spec on the Specialized web site says that the CLX32 inner width is 20.7", or close to your 21" inner width option. I bought my CLX32s for a previous bike, before I purchased the Tarmac. To my recollection (this was late 2016), the inner width was the same then as it says on the web site now. I recall this because when I was shopping for the wheels in 2016, I was looking for a wider inner rim and was focused on this very metric.

A point to alert you to is that there is not a lot of vertical clearance from the top of the tire to the front fork and rear seat stays, again on the rim brake model, for the nominal size 28mm tires I have used most of the time (Pirelli P-Zero Velo) on the CLX32s. [I have not had problem with horizontal clearance to the brakes.] I am running the wheel with tubes, not tubeless. Every once and a while -- probably 3 times a year -- very small, thin, dry leafs have been caught on the part of the fork that is close to the top of the wheel, or on the top section of the seatstays near where they meet the seat tube. It's the darndest thing -- I can hear the leaf rub and scratch against the tires, which is annoying; the leaf does not fall out on its own when I ride, it stays stuck; and to remove the leaf, I have to take off the wheels because the leaf is so small and wedged in such a tight space that I can't pry it out otherwise. I thought it was a fluke when it happened the first time, but it's occurred since then. Not a major problem at all but strange.

Per Rolling Resistance Review, the P-Zero Velo at the size 25 has a measured height of 25 mm, and a measured width of 27 mm. I don't know how this translates to the size 28mm I run. Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'd watch out for vertical clearance, tire height, if you want to run larger tires.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Stendhal wrote:
samarskyrider wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Thanks in advance!

I also own the S-Works SL6 Tarmac rim bike and run the awesome Roval CLX32 wheels. As you state, the current spec on the Specialized web site says that the CLX32 inner width is 20.7", or close to your 21" inner width option. I bought my CLX32s for a previous bike, before I purchased the Tarmac. To my recollection (this was late 2016), the inner width was the same then as it says on the web site now. I recall this because when I was shopping for the wheels in 2016, I was looking for a wider inner rim and was focused on this very metric.

A point to alert you to is that there is not a lot of vertical clearance from the top of the tire to the front fork and rear seat stays, again on the rim brake model, for the nominal size 28mm tires I have used most of the time (Pirelli P-Zero Velo) on the CLX32s. [I have not had problem with horizontal clearance to the brakes.] I am running the wheel with tubes, not tubeless. Every once and a while -- probably 3 times a year -- very small, thin, dry leafs have been caught on the part of the fork that is close to the top of the wheel, or on the top section of the seatstays near where they meet the seat tube. It's the darndest thing -- I can hear the leaf rub and scratch against the tires, which is annoying; the leaf does not fall out on its own when I ride, it stays stuck; and to remove the leaf, I have to take off the wheels because the leaf is so small and wedged in such a tight space that I can't pry it out otherwise. I thought it was a fluke when it happened the first time, but it's occurred since then. Not a major problem at all but strange.

Per Rolling Resistance Review, the P-Zero Velo at the size 25 has a measured height of 25 mm, and a measured width of 27 mm. I don't know how this translates to the size 28mm I run. Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'd watch out for vertical clearance, tire height, if you want to run larger tires.

Thank you very much for extensive reply! At this width no brake rub when working out of saddle? I was considering 25-28mm tires for 21mm ID. In case with 25c tires, I'm concerned with inflating to the point when you'll be cornering on sidewalls (e.g. tire too small for the width of the rim)

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Correct, I have not had brake rub issues, even when the wheels are not absolutely perfectly true.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

m66

by m66

I see that Cane Creek has an adapter for size 54 and smaller SL6 frames for their eeBrakes. I also see that they make a rear specific "short lever" brake for dropped seat stay frames.

My question is, for a size 54, if I have the rear specific brake, do I also need their adapter? Or is the adapter just for people that already have long arm brakes?

eric01

by eric01

You need both the short lever and the adapter
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

m66

by m66

eric01 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:59 pm
You need both the short lever and the adapter
Thanks

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

ollie3856 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:05 am
morganb wrote:
ollie3856 wrote:
morganb wrote: Huge bummer, that means if you buy a non UL you are going to have to modify your brakes to run on a regular Tarmac.
Huh? It means if you want to run eebrakes on the new tarmac you need to get one of the brakes with the shorter link direct from them.
I have my doubts this is anything but an OEM only set up.
You can buy them direct from cane creek, or you can run shimano DM brakes (with basically any group)
Does anyone know whether the Tarmac UL ee brakes will fit other (non-Tarmac) frames - e.g., Colnago etc? I am finding it really hard to get a definitive answer as to whether the Tarmac ee brakes have been designed/optimised for Tarmac, but will indeed fit other frames as opposed to only fitting Tarmac UL. Many thanks, Mike

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

mikebuf73 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:41 am
ollie3856 wrote:
morganb wrote:
ollie3856 wrote:
Huh? It means if you want to run eebrakes on the new tarmac you need to get one of the brakes with the shorter link direct from them.
I have my doubts this is anything but an OEM only set up.
You can buy them direct from cane creek, or you can run shimano DM brakes (with basically any group)
Does anyone know whether the Tarmac UL ee brakes will fit other (non-Tarmac) frames - e.g., Colnago etc? I am finding it really hard to get a definitive answer as to whether the Tarmac ee brakes have been designed/optimised for Tarmac, but will indeed fit other frames as opposed to only fitting Tarmac UL. Many thanks, Mike
As far as I know, the brakes are exactly the same. There's a small mount adapter for the Tarmacs.

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:51 am
mikebuf73 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:41 am
ollie3856 wrote:
morganb wrote: I have my doubts this is anything but an OEM only set up.
As far as I know, the brakes are exactly the same. There's a small mount adapter for the Tarmacs.
Thanks very much for the response. It seems really hard to get specifics from the cane creek website to be honest.

I am going to start a new thread on this as I gather there may be others that have come across this riddle and it may end up helping more than just my immediate situation

m3lodiaa

by m3lodiaa

Got a deal for a S Works SL6 Disc frame for about 2700. Good deal or wait?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

kayjay

by kayjay

Hi,

During transportation I got a really nasty scratch in my 2019 SL6. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so a new paint job is required. I have been looking for the original logos for the 2019 model but they seem to be a hard find. Want to replace as many of the original logos as possible. Anyone that have the correct logos in high resolution or know where they can be found? All help is much appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com