S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Js2

by Js2

taodemon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 pm
Final build weight with pedals and garmin mount ended up being 7.14kg (15lbs 12 oz) down from 7.51kg (16lbs 9oz) with my SL5 frame.
Some of the dropped weight was from the EE brakes vs DA9100, though some weight was probably added by going with an 11-30 ultegra cassette instead of the old 11-28. The hed wheels don't look so great with the new frame compared to the old one which might make the upgrade to a set of clx50's happen sooner than I had planned. Bike still has the old plastic cages from my original Venge which I'll swap out soon too. Eventually I think I want to try etap on it but the wheels are my next priority.

DA9000 shifters / derailleurs
Sworks Crankset w/ power2max pm, praxis 52/36 rings
ultegra chain / cassette (11-30)
EE brakes
Aerofly bar
Sworks stem
Sworks power saddle
DA9100 pedals.
HED Jet5 wheels

Wow, that SL5 is stunning :thumbup: I've always wanted one, had I not already have a 2015 Allez comp I would've gotten the SL5!

mbdurham17 wrote:
Js2 wrote:Built up a UL frameset size 54 rim brake version.
Fork is 340g uncut, 300g after cutting
Seatpost 171g
Frame weight with derailleur hanger + bottle cage bolt + rear brake internal cable routing guide is 790g.
Well there’s consistency my 54 UL was exactly the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Perhaps we got the frame set from same batch :beerchug:
Too bad it wasn't the advertised 733, but I got a deal on the frame set so I can't complain.
Enjoying the bike so far, will post a few pics when I get the chance. Total build is 6.7 kg (w/ cage, da pedals, gps mount, chain catcher)

nonamed

by nonamed

cycleboyco wrote: I had a finish issue with my UL frame that Specialized is replacing for me, so plan on weighing the replacement frame this weekend and will post that weight, though I do not expect it to be much different than the 815g out of the box weight of the current 56 frame. Also will be interested to see when the replacement frame was manufactured-my original frame was ordered in January 2018 and had a June or July 2017 manufacture date (decal under the top tube), so seems like my original frame would have been one of the early frames based on the original release-always thought it was curious that they were sold out for a long time, but when they became available to order again, the frame I got was from July 2017.
What exactly problems with the finish? Can You say sth more?

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

nonamed wrote:
cycleboyco wrote: I had a finish issue with my UL frame that Specialized is replacing for me, so plan on weighing the replacement frame this weekend and will post that weight, though I do not expect it to be much different than the 815g out of the box weight of the current 56 frame. Also will be interested to see when the replacement frame was manufactured-my original frame was ordered in January 2018 and had a June or July 2017 manufacture date (decal under the top tube), so seems like my original frame would have been one of the early frames based on the original release-always thought it was curious that they were sold out for a long time, but when they became available to order again, the frame I got was from July 2017.
What exactly problems with the finish? Can You say sth more?

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk Pro
There were several places on the frame where the finish had become chalky/cloudy. I wondered if it had to do with the “10 gram” Ultralight finish. I will say that it seems to have diminished, but Specialized had already sent out a replacement frame.

56cm replacement frame was 810g out of the box, so consistent with my original 815g frame weight and similar to the 790g 54 cm frames listed recently.
IMG_2290.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taodemon

by taodemon

On that note, what is the ideal way to clean matte carbon frames? I've always had a gloss finish on my bikes which seemed a lot easier to clean.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

taodemon wrote:On that note, what is the ideal way to clean matte carbon frames? I've always had a gloss finish on my bikes which seemed a lot easier to clean.
The bike shop gave me a can of matte frame cleaner can’t remember the brand but I’ll take a look. It’s a spray almost like furniture polish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KevinM

by KevinM

taodemon wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:33 pm
On that note, what is the ideal way to clean matte carbon frames? I've always had a gloss finish on my bikes which seemed a lot easier to clean.
After cleaning the same as any other bike, I wipe matte frames down with the muc off matte finish detailer. Works great.

Burton610

by Burton610

taodemon
taodemon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 pm
Final build weight with pedals and garmin mount ended up being 7.14kg (15lbs 12 oz) down from 7.51kg (16lbs 9oz) with my SL5 frame.
Some of the dropped weight was from the EE brakes vs DA9100, though some weight was probably added by going with an 11-30 ultegra cassette instead of the old 11-28. The hed wheels don't look so great with the new frame compared to the old one which might make the upgrade to a set of clx50's happen sooner than I had planned. Bike still has the old plastic cages from my original Venge which I'll swap out soon too. Eventually I think I want to try etap on it but the wheels are my next priority.

Looks great!
Since only the frame changed for you, it would be good to hear what cycling difference you notice between the sl5 and the sl6 frames, tangible or otherwise.
thanks

taodemon

by taodemon

Burton610 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:43 pm
taodemon

Looks great!
Since only the frame changed for you, it would be good to hear what cycling difference you notice between the sl5 and the sl6 frames, tangible or otherwise.
thanks
I've had the bike for about a week now, and have logged in 215 miles between after work rides and a long 96 mile ride with 9281ft of climbing (three cat 2's and an HC) over the weekend. Probably the most noticeable change was how much more comfortable it feels. It just seems to smooth the road out in a way my sworks sl5 or my 10r venge never did. I never found those frames uncomfortable and as far as comfort goes didn't really notice a change when I went from the 10r venge to the sl5 sworks tarmac (also just a frame swap with same wheels/components). The SL5 felt more responsive than the venge and was a bit lighter but it didn't feel like a huge upgrade (maybe due to the loss of aero).

The SL6 on the other hand feels like an upgrade in all aspects. Feels more responsive, lighter and noticeably more comfortable than the SL5. The only thing I can't be absolutely sure of is the aero gains and will probably need more rides over some of my more regular routes to start picking up on that.

On the 96 mile ride I had some technical difficulties with the seat post dropping on the second climb (HC) of the day only 25 miles into the ride and I had forgotten my multitool at home. I don't think the bike store had tightened the seatpost up enough when they built the bike and it just hadn't been an issue until I did this ride with some real climbs in it where I was exerting more force on the seat. At the top one of the faster climbers (I'm not a climber) let me borrow his tool and I tightened it enough where it didn't drop the rest of the ride. I hadn't recorded the setting on the seat and it turns out I finished the ride with the seat 1.5cm lower than my normal setting. Most of these were roads I was doing for the first time but there were a few segments 85 miles in I had done before where I set PR's. One was the last cat 2 climb of the day where my whole focus was not having my legs cramp as they had been threatening to do so since the previous cat 2 at mile 65, and the other was a long 8 mile descent which despite a headwind and no legs I was still able to get a PR.

In summary I'm a lot more pleased with the differences going from the Sworks SL5 to the Sworks SL6 than I was from the 10r venge to the Sworks SL5. I had gone in hoping to just keep the ride qualities and the responsiveness of the SL5 with the aero of my old venge so I've been pleasantly surprised.
Attachments
IMG_6846.JPG

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

taodemon wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:43 pm
Burton610 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:43 pm
taodemon

Looks great!
thanks
I've had the bike for about a week now, and have logged in 215 miles between after work rides and a long 96 mile ride with 9281ft of climbing (three cat 2's and an HC) over the weekend. Probably the most noticeable change was how much more comfortable it feels. It just seems to smooth the road out in a way my sworks sl5 or my 10r venge never did. I never found those frames uncomfortable and as far as comfort goes didn't really notice a change when I went from the 10r venge to the sl5 sworks tarmac (also just a frame swap with same wheels/components). The SL5 felt more responsive than the venge and was a bit lighter but it didn't feel like a huge upgrade (maybe due to the loss of aero).

The SL6 on the other hand feels like an upgrade in all aspects. Feels more responsive, lighter and noticeably more comfortable than the SL5. The only thing I can't be absolutely sure of is the aero gains and will probably need more rides over some of my more regular routes to start picking up on that.

On the 96 mile ride I had some technical difficulties with the seat post dropping on the second climb (HC) of the day only 25 miles into the ride and I had forgotten my multitool at home. I don't think the bike store had tightened the seatpost up enough when they built the bike and it just hadn't been an issue until I did this ride with some real climbs in it where I was exerting more force on the seat. At the top one of the faster climbers (I'm not a climber) let me borrow his tool and I tightened it enough where it didn't drop the rest of the ride. I hadn't recorded the setting on the seat and it turns out I finished the ride with the seat 1.5cm lower than my normal setting. Most of these were roads I was doing for the first time but there were a few segments 85 miles in I had done before where I set PR's. One was the last cat 2 climb of the day where my whole focus was not having my legs cramp as they had been threatening to do so since the previous cat 2 at mile 65, and the other was a long 8 mile descent which despite a headwind and no legs I was still able to get a PR.

In summary I'm a lot more pleased with the differences going from the Sworks SL5 to the Sworks SL6 than I was from the 10r venge to the Sworks SL5. I had gone in hoping to just keep the ride qualities and the responsiveness of the SL5 with the aero of my old venge so I've been pleasantly surprised.
I'm a step behind you. I just picked up a 2017 S-Works SL5 Tarmac... taking the components off my 2015 Venge Pro. I can't say that I've ever found my Venge to be "uncomfortable" (I've done 100 mile rides on it), but the general consesnus is that the 1st gen. Venge was not a comfort queen, so I'm hoping the Tarmac will feel better and still be responsive on climbs. I'm not super worried about the aero. I'll still be running my aerofly bars and 60mm wheels and a pretty aggressive saddle to bar drop. I have my Shiv, if I really want to rip some speed.

regarding the setpost slippage... that seems ot be a recurring fault. Quite a few people have complained about it on here. A couple of the guys I regularly ride with are on the SL6's now and one has had the issue.

sychen

by sychen

taodemon wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:43 pm
On the 96 mile ride I had some technical difficulties with the seat post dropping on the second climb (HC) of the day only 25 miles into the ride and I had forgotten my multitool at home. I don't think the bike store had tightened the seatpost up enough when they built the bike and it just hadn't been an issue until I did this ride with some real climbs in it where I was exerting more force on the seat.
Pretty common issue with the seatpost slipping.
Most have not had issues since adding carbon paste and tightening to the recommended max torque specs.

taodemon

by taodemon

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:00 am
I'm a step behind you. I just picked up a 2017 S-Works SL5 Tarmac... taking the components off my 2015 Venge Pro. I can't say that I've ever found my Venge to be "uncomfortable" (I've done 100 mile rides on it), but the general consesnus is that the 1st gen. Venge was not a comfort queen, so I'm hoping the Tarmac will feel better and still be responsive on climbs. I'm not super worried about the aero. I'll still be running my aerofly bars and 60mm wheels and a pretty aggressive saddle to bar drop. I have my Shiv, if I really want to rip some speed.

regarding the setpost slippage... that seems ot be a recurring fault. Quite a few people have complained about it on here. A couple of the guys I regularly ride with are on the SL6's now and one has had the issue.
The SL5 is a great frame, and I’m sure you will enjoy it. If I had a second bike that was aero like your shiv I might have not missed my venge as much. It also didn’t help when one of the older 60+ guys I ride with regularly told me I wasn’t as fast on my SL5 frame. :P That said I still managed some of my faster times on downhill segments on my SL5.

As for the seat post I had seen mention of it slipping by others in the forums. In my case I just think the shop hadn’t tightened it enough to begin with. There was some paste on it and the wedge was down (probably what held it for the 2 flat rides) but when I went to tighten the bolt it seemed lose. Maybe they had only tightened it to the typical 5-5.5Nm and not the 6.2 that it is specced at. I took it back in the next day and they tightened it to 6Nm and I haven’t had any issues on the last two rides but then nowhere near as much climbing as on the long weekend ride.

Took the white HED stickers off the wheels, might order a set of the black ones or do something custom until I pick up a set of clx50s.
Attachments
9E9EDE2D-D270-4955-A81F-1D9EA4FAD7ED.jpeg

Burton610

by Burton610

taodemon wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:00 am
Took the white HED stickers off the wheels, might order a set of the black ones or do something custom until I pick up a set of clx50s.

Looks even better without the stickers...is that an alloy brake track on your Heads?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I think the wheels look much better on your frame without the stickers.... it matches better, but it also looks like you have no-name Chinese wheels and if i had HED wheels, that would bug me. I think black HED decals would do the trick. You'd get the branding back but without contrasting the stealthiness of your frame.

KevinM

by KevinM

Looks fantastic without the decals. Super fast look. I wouldn’t change it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com