S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slack

by Slack

That's a new roubaix with rim brakes, team only for the classics. They're too concerned with a puncture and not being able to shove any random wheel in costing a victory at roubaix so they've made a new roubaix with standard brakes. A press release went out to dealers. I think it's also mentioned on cyclingtips.com. They have also said if there is enough demand they'll release it for sale.

ssia157 wrote:Well it looks I may have spotted the first 2018 Tarmac or maybe Pro-Spec Roubaix. The Quick Step-Floors riders were out on the Flanders course doing recon today. I noticed the 'low-mount' seatstay, low-mount seat clamp (e.g.- the current Roubaix), rim brakes, and level top tube on the bike Boonen was riding. It was very sneaky of Specialized to paint it similarly to his special edition team frame.

Here are a couple of shots I noticed, and a link to a video where you can see the entire profile of the frame.

https://www.facebook.com/quickstepteam/ ... S_TIMELINE

boonen_1.jpg

Boonen_2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ssia157

by ssia157

Slack wrote:That's a new roubaix with rim brakes, team only for the classics. They're too concerned with a puncture and not being able to shove any random wheel in costing a victory at roubaix so they've made a new roubaix with standard brakes. A press release went out to dealers. I think it's also mentioned on cyclingtips.com. They have also said if there is enough demand they'll release it for sale.

Gotcha. I also can see the 'suspension' boot in the video pretty clearly. I wonder if there really is a future shock in there? I would be interested to see the layout of the bike as well. I am gonna have to hunt around for the press release...

grumpus

by grumpus

I'd be surprised if the boot was just for show. But teams seem to do some strange things for Roubaix. The tech features out of that race are sometimes my favorite galleries of year.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Based on their time frame..

There might be new Tarmac.

I wonder how it is called given the current one is called the New tarmac
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

wingguy

by wingguy

DavidMLee wrote:I wonder how it is called given the current one is called the New tarmac

The current one is not called the New Tarmac ;)

Maybe they'll all just be called the Tarmac from now on. The new Supersix Evo is just the Supersix Evo. The TCR has always been the TCR.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

coolpildu wrote:I expect a new model of tamak.

Great post.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Can we ban this coolpildu. All his posts are garbage. He is just after the discount.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Both disc and rim brake models. Aero as first gen venge. Frame will be lighter as well.

endershan

by endershan

LBS doesn't hear any info. I hope they don't go semi-aero like Canyon Ultimate.

Swannie

by Swannie

sure lbs don't tell you... who else wants to buy an sl5 Tarmac!

russianbear

by russianbear

LBS won't tell you because the reps won't tell us anything.

ichobi

by ichobi

Aero as first gen Venge and sub 800g? If it doesn't look as hideous as ViAS, I might be tempted.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm going to repeat this again as many keep pointing finger at LBS.

Specialized marketing team rely on same marketing scheme as Apple. They get people excited ~ 4 weeks (if I'm not mistaken) before the release and release the product on a specific date! Product page on the website get updated in the morning on the day of release.

There will be rumors but we won't know any details before the release date. From what I hear, their employees swear by confidentiality.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TonyM

by TonyM

I would love to have a S-works Tarmac disc but the current version doesn't seem to very convenient when it is coming to change wheels :-(

from the Bike Radar review (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... isc-48977/)
"The downside, however, is that you can’t switch the rear wheel without 30 minutes of work and the loss of a couple of gears. Changing wheels requires changing derailleur hangers and adjusting the brake caliper. In our experience, it also meant that you couldn’t cross-chain in the 36/11 or 22 without the chain snagging on the backside of the big ring."

and thru-axles would be nice
or Mavic Speed Release thru-axle system which has been also adopted by Enve now (same company)

boots2000

by boots2000

Hopefully they take this opportunity to make clearance for larger tires.
It is a crime that high end bikes can't take a fairly large tire.
They should design the frame and fork so that the brake pads are near the bottom of the adjustment range, and also as much room in the fork and chain stays as possible.
It is carbon, you can do what you want with that stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com